Any good websites to be used as a lean home page for brows..

June 26, 2004 3:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
PDA software... Any suggestions?

--

Mike Levin
mlevin77@comcast.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Here is a good weather page...straight from the horses mouth so to speak...

http://mobile.srh.weather.gov/

Tropical Weather...

WAP format...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml

Text format...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?text

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Michael Levin" <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message news:BD02D72B.194DA%mlevin77@comcast.net...
> I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
> customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
> but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
> to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
> made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
> PDA software... Any suggestions?
>
> --
>
> Mike Levin
> mlevin77@comcast.net

---
June 26, 2004 3:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Oppss...I misread your post. I have a custom weather page, in HTML, suitable for use with PIE. It
includes the links I gave you earlier. I will post a copy, in a .zip file, over on the
microsoft.public.pocketpc.binaries news group in a few minutes...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

news:o BEoAN3WEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Here is a good weather page...straight from the horses mouth so to speak...
>
> http://mobile.srh.weather.gov/
>
> Tropical Weather...
>
> WAP format...
>
> http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.wml
>
> Text format...
>
> http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?text
>

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Michael Levin" <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
>> customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
>> but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
>> to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
>> made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
>> PDA software... Any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Levin
>> mlevin77@comcast.net
>>

> ---

---
June 26, 2004 6:39:16 PM

AvantGo ?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:33:00 GMT, Michael Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
>customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
>but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
>to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
>made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
>PDA software... Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 9:23:50 PM

On 6/26/04 9:39 AM, in article 5buqd0lq6hfuqbdtq8i6nqjaj6h0071nb8@4ax.com,
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote:

> AvantGo ?
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:33:00 GMT, Michael Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
>> customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
>> but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
>> to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
>> made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
>> PDA software... Any suggestions?

Ah! Pretty cool. I just looked up AvantGo - that's a good idea. Do you
have any idea how to get movie listings on this thing? I searched the
channels, and don't see anything that covers any current listings at
theaters in the Boston area. Am I missing something?

--

Mike Levin
mlevin77@comcast.net

Avantgo has the ability to let you generate "custom pages"

Go to the page that you use for your pc and try using that to generate a
custom page.

As a start, try

no images
do not follow offline links
one level below

Adjust the above to meet your needs.

OTOH, take a look at Yahoo Mobile at http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw as it
has a good movie locator for use when you have a mobile connection, plus
they have text news and text weather

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:14:22 PM

No, I'm not too sure about getting information onto Avantgo.

However, you'll fine pocket IE can browse WAP sites set up for mobile
phones, so it's worth finding out if there are any local sites doing
this, then just browse to them as if you were using a WAP phone (but
*much* faster ;-)

Cheers - Neil

> Ah! Pretty cool. I just looked up AvantGo - that's a good idea. Do you
>have any idea how to get movie listings on this thing? I searched the
>channels, and don't see anything that covers any current listings at
>theaters in the Boston area. Am I missing something?
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 12:29:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <BD02D72B.194DA%mlevin77@comcast.net>, mlevin77@comcast.net
says...
> I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
> customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
> but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
> to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
> made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
> PDA software... Any suggestions?

I just starting using Evmo and it seems pretty good. Lots of
information, links etc., customizable and all formatted for Pocket PCs.

www.evmo.com
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 5:39:27 AM

On 6/26/04 3:53 PM, in article u00DGd7WEHA.1036@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> Avantgo has the ability to let you generate "custom pages"
>
> Go to the page that you use for your pc and try using that to generate a
> custom page.
>
> As a start, try
>
> no images
> do not follow offline links
> one level below
>
> Adjust the above to meet your needs.

Avantgo seems pretty cool!

> OTOH, take a look at Yahoo Mobile at http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw as it
> has a good movie locator for use when you have a mobile connection, plus
> they have text news and text weather

the weird thing is, when I try that URL, it says "Cannot read page.
Type:bad mimetype". I'm on a Samsung i700 PocketPC...

--

Mike Levin
mlevin77@comcast.net

Michael Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BD032964.19844%mlevin77@comcast.net>...

> Ah! Pretty cool. I just looked up AvantGo - that's a good idea. Do you
> have any idea how to get movie listings on this thing? I searched the
> channels, and don't see anything that covers any current listings at
> theaters in the Boston area. Am I missing something?

Hollywood.com has a PDA-friendly page at

http://www.hollywood.com/avantgo/

Also, pdaportal.com and plinkit.com are good slim "frontpage" suggestions.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 8:55:50 PM

Best for this purpose is EVMO. www.evmo.com

You configure in the computer (or in the PDA), and see it in the PDA.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Michael Levin" <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able
> customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
> but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it
has
> to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
> made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
> PDA software... Any suggestions?
>
> --
>
> Mike Levin
> mlevin77@comcast.net

June 28, 2004 1:14:38 AM

How do you create these custom pages using avantgo?

Can I create pages from existing sites that exculde pictures and thus get
the info onto my pocket pc in a format that doesn't involve lots
of scrolling around the page?

> On 6/26/04 3:53 PM, in article u00DGd7WEHA.1036@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
>
> > Avantgo has the ability to let you generate "custom pages"
> >
> > Go to the page that you use for your pc and try using that to generate a
> > custom page.
> >
> > As a start, try
> >
> > no images
> > do not follow offline links
> > one level below
> >
> > Adjust the above to meet your needs.
>
> Avantgo seems pretty cool!
>
> > OTOH, take a look at Yahoo Mobile at http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw as it
> > has a good movie locator for use when you have a mobile connection, plus
> > they have text news and text weather
>
> the weird thing is, when I try that URL, it says "Cannot read page.
> Type:bad mimetype". I'm on a Samsung i700 PocketPC...
>
> --
>
> Mike Levin
> mlevin77@comcast.net

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 5:56:35 AM

I recommend PDAHotspots

http://home.att.net/~pdahotspots/pda_hotspots.htm

Formatted for the small screen and best collection of links and
reference sites.

wrote:

>I'm looking for a good website to be used with my PDA. I need to be able to
>customize it to give me quick information (weather, movie listings, etc.)
>but it has to be PDA-friendly - no popups, no large graphgics, etc. - it has
>to be lean and properly formatted for a small screen. Surely people have
>made such portals. I've done web searches but all I find are websites for
>PDA software... Any suggestions?

James Kendrick
www.pocketpctools.com
.....using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:55:01 AM

As far as I can tell, the pages are customised with regard to content
(which channels you get) rather than layout / design.

You might want to investigate a public text-only web proxy for
browsing through, that will strip images and shrink the pages for your
device, eg here http://www.flooda.us/proxy.php might work.

HTH, Cheers - Neil

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:14:38 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>How do you create these custom pages using avantgo?
>
>Can I create pages from existing sites that exculde pictures and thus get
>the info onto my pocket pc in a format that doesn't involve lots
>of scrolling around the page?
>
>Michael Levin <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 6/26/04 3:53 PM, in article u00DGd7WEHA.1036@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
>> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Avantgo has the ability to let you generate "custom pages"
>> >
>> > Go to the page that you use for your pc and try using that to generate a
>> > custom page.
>> >
>> > As a start, try
>> >
>> > no images
>> > do not follow offline links
>> > one level below
>> >
>> > Adjust the above to meet your needs.
>>
>> Avantgo seems pretty cool!
>>
>> > OTOH, take a look at Yahoo Mobile at http://wap.oa.yahoo.com/raw as it
>> > has a good movie locator for use when you have a mobile connection, plus
>> > they have text news and text weather
>>
>> the weird thing is, when I try that URL, it says "Cannot read page.
>> Type:bad mimetype". I'm on a Samsung i700 PocketPC...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Levin
>> mlevin77@comcast.net

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:34:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

www.mywaplink.com www.tagtag.com Both are exactly what you want

!