Asus A8N SLI Does not Boot With Hard disk SATA2

Hello
i have a MB Asus A8n SLI deluxe (bios upgraded 1007)
I have an hard disk Hitachi SATA2 3gb/sec

(http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemID=31e08ebe44f8222d92b86b31bac4f0a0&epi_menuID=b5bc67ba7b48099056fb11f0aac4f0a0&epi_baseMenuID=3d0cb215112b6934ab937c27aac4f0a0)

And the system do not boot (unable to load operating system).

can anyone help me??
Thank you.
Max

massimo wrote:
> Hello
> i have a MB Asus A8n SLI deluxe (bios upgraded 1007)
> I have an hard disk Hitachi SATA2 3gb/sec
>
> (http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemID=31e08ebe44f8222d92b86b31bac4f0a0&epi_menuID=b5bc67ba7b48099056fb11f0aac4f0a0&epi_baseMenuID=3d0cb215112b6934ab937c27aac4f0a0)
>
> And the system do not boot (unable to load operating system).

If you added the drive to the system, and another drive (or more) were
already active, it is possible the BIOS put the new hitachi drive first
in the boot-priority list. As there will be no boot-sector on the drive,
the bios will report the 'unable to load os' error, as there is a HD,
but no boot info on it.
Go to the BOOT menu in the bios, and select the Hard Drive menu, and
make sure the HD or RAID config you want to boot from is top of the
list. Just to be sure, also check the boot setup, and make sure the HD
is mentioned (likely as 2nd or 3rd option, after removable device and
perhaps CDROM). If CDROM is above the HD in that list, make sure the
drive is empty when booting.

hth,
RJT

geoff

I agree with the other reply. Check your bios settings very carefully and
play around with some seetings before doing something more drastic.

I recently did some upgrades on my p2b-ds including changeing the battery on
the MB. After everything was done, all seemdd normal until it said, 'error
bios said, 'checksum error loading defaults'.

I fixed it by changing the boot options in the bios.

-g

massimo wrote:
> i tried to setup the operating system with only this hard disk connected.
> the system detect the SATA2 drive but do not boot.
> i'm sure that the drive is the first in the device list

Ok, that's clear. Did you try to connect it to another SATA port? Is the
SATA port set to auto-detect in the BIOS? Is the nVidia RAID disabled
for the SATA port you connected the drive to?

RJT

massimo wrote:
>>Did you try to connect it to another SATA port? Is the
>>SATA port set to auto-detect in the BIOS? Is the nVidia RAID disabled for
>>the SATA port you connected the drive to?
> Yes,
> Yes,
> Yes.

Hmmhmm. Well, I guess I'm running out of ideas here... Latest BIOS n all.

The drive should be 'backward' compatible to SATA150, so have you tried
running it on the other SATA controller, just to see if it will work at
all? I realize you will want to utilize the SATA300 transfer speeds, but
just to see if the drive will work at all...

Paul

Splendid

In article <G6e8e.4642$Bn.765@tornado.fastwebnet.it>, "massimo"
<info@digitaltime.info> wrote:

> Hello
> i have a MB Asus A8n SLI deluxe (bios upgraded 1007)
> I have an hard disk Hitachi SATA2 3gb/sec

(http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/?epi_menuItemID=31e08ebe44f8222d92b86b31bac4f0a0&epi_menuID=b5bc67ba7b48099056fb11f0aac4f0a0&epi_baseMenuID=3d0cb215112b6934ab937c27aac4f0a0)

> And the system do not boot (unable to load operating system).
>
> can anyone help me??
> Thank you.
> Max

A quick question for you...

Is this disk, a boot disk taken from another computer ?

And then installed on your A8N-SLI ?

How will the OS get the needed chipset driver to read the disk
drive, on the new hardware ?

Perhaps if you do a Repair Install (with RAID disabled in the
BIOS, on the port you are using for the SATA disk), you can
fix it. From this posting, it sounds like the default MS
IDE driver will be enough to make it work, as the person
answering this question, says no F6 installed driver was required.
(Perhaps someone here can verify that, as I don't own this
board.)

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=385270&highlight=a8n-sli

If you do a Repair Install, your applications programs and
your settings will remain intact, but you will need to reinstall
any Service Packs and do all the Windows Updates again.

"How to do a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm "

If you manage to get the OS booted, Nvidia provides an all-in-one
chipset driver. I don't know how A8N-SLI users feel about this,
but if there is an option to disable the installation of any
Nvidia IDE drivers, I would make sure that the IDE driver
install is disabled. IDE drivers provided by chipset makers
can have problems, and you might see those problems if you
do a lot of CD or DVD burning. Try using default Microsoft
IDE drivers for a while, and see if they are reliable for
you or not. You can always use the Nvidia IDE drivers later
if you want.

For RAID, you don't have much choice in the matter, if you
want to use any hardware RAID features. For that, the chipset
maker's drivers are the only choice.

HTH,
Paul