Is there an Asus M/B for 939 pin AMD with...

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

4x PCI slots
1 or 2 PCI Express slots
ATX slot
2xIDE plus 2xIDE/RAID
1 or 2 SATA
4xRAM slots
1 or 2 Network ports built in

Onboard sound and video are not important.

I want to run an Athlon 64 3200 or higher.

Why not visit:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

There are only four Socket 939 boards listed. The A8V Deluxe has no PCI-E
slots. (Note that there are currently two kinds of PCI-E slots that I've
read about: 16X, used for graphics cards, and 1X, for other peripheral
cards. Most mainboards with a 16X graphics slot also include a couple of 1X
slots.)

I think I know what an ATX form factor mainboard is, but what is an "ATX
slot"?

"Dave" <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> 4x PCI slots
> 1 or 2 PCI Express slots
> ATX slot
> 2xIDE plus 2xIDE/RAID
> 1 or 2 SATA
> 4xRAM slots
> 1 or 2 Network ports built in
>
> Onboard sound and video are not important.
>
> I want to run an Athlon 64 3200 or higher.

Paul

Splendid

In article <qri361dsrfu5ojg40eho7bd1rmsi8pu017@4ax.com>, Dave
<dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:

> 4x PCI slots
> 1 or 2 PCI Express slots
> ATX slot
> 2xIDE plus 2xIDE/RAID
> 1 or 2 SATA
> 4xRAM slots
> 1 or 2 Network ports built in
>
> Onboard sound and video are not important.
>
> I want to run an Athlon 64 3200 or higher.

Product list (complete with ugly color scheme):
http://www.asus.com.tw/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

S939
http://www.asus.com.tw/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=15

A8V - AGP
A8N-E - PCI-Express
A8N-SLI - PCI-Express
A8V-E Deluxe - PCI-Express
A8N-SLI Deluxe - PCI-Express
A8V Deluxe - AGP

So far, I have only heard of one chipset offering
all three slot types. (There have been some motherboards
with fake AGP slots, but performance would be compromised.)
ULI is apparently working on a chipset with PCI, AGP, and
PCI-Express interfaces. The ULI M1695 was announced Apr14/2005:

http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/press_center/press_releases_detail.php?pserno=105

Now, this is the way Dell should build computers :)
Who needs a stylish computer case ?

http://www.uli.com.tw/assets/2005/04/14/4350623275.jpg

HTH,
Paul

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:12:28 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote:

>I think I know what an ATX form factor mainboard is, but what is an "ATX
>slot"?

Whoops, I have ATX on the brain, been looking at new cases. ;-)

I meant AGP.

You don't want a motherboard that has both PCI-E 16x and AGP, because the
AGP will run terrible on such a motherboard because it won't run as a
direct AGP.

Dave wrote:
> 4x PCI slots
> 1 or 2 PCI Express slots
> ATX slot
> 2xIDE plus 2xIDE/RAID
> 1 or 2 SATA
> 4xRAM slots
> 1 or 2 Network ports built in
>
> Onboard sound and video are not important.
>
> I want to run an Athlon 64 3200 or higher.

Just being curious: why do you _need_ 4xPCI?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:06:56 +0100, Ben Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Just being curious: why do you _need_ 4xPCI?
>>

>> SCSI card, Digital TV card, extra network card, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum.
>
>Many boards come with 2 network interfaces built in, you need 3?

Gigabyte boards have 2, Asus seem to have 1 plus optional Wireless.

milleron

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:22:30 GMT, Dave <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:

>>> SCSI card, Digital TV card, extra network card, Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum.
>>
>>Many boards come with 2 network interfaces built in, you need 3?
>
>Gigabyte boards have 2, Asus seem to have 1 plus optional Wireless.

No, that's incorrect. The A8N-SLI deluxe has two onboard Ethernet
adapters. I think that board would work for you, especially if you
wait for a PCI-E All-In-Wonder. That would leave you needing only two
slots.
Just curious -- what SCSI peripherals are you running? Any chance of
replacing them with PCI devices instead of moving them to a new
machine?

Ron

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:01:37 GMT, milleron <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

>>>Many boards come with 2 network interfaces built in, you need 3?
>>
>>Gigabyte boards have 2, Asus seem to have 1 plus optional Wireless.
>
>No, that's incorrect. The A8N-SLI deluxe has two onboard Ethernet
>adapters. I think that board would work for you, especially if you
>wait for a PCI-E All-In-Wonder. That would leave you needing only two
>slots.
>Just curious -- what SCSI peripherals are you running? Any chance of
>replacing them with PCI devices instead of moving them to a new
>machine?

I'm running some SCSI hard drives for video work plus an old, but still excellent, SCSI flatbed scanner.
Apart from that, I don't want to go to the expense of purchasing a new video card. My old 9600XT is more than
enough for what I do.

milleron

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:25:17 GMT, Dave <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:

>>>Gigabyte boards have 2, Asus seem to have 1 plus optional Wireless.
>>
>>No, that's incorrect. The A8N-SLI deluxe has two onboard Ethernet
>>adapters. I think that board would work for you, especially if you
>>wait for a PCI-E All-In-Wonder. That would leave you needing only two
>>slots.
>>Just curious -- what SCSI peripherals are you running? Any chance of
>>replacing them with PCI devices instead of moving them to a new
>>machine?
>
>I'm running some SCSI hard drives for video work plus an old, but still excellent, SCSI flatbed scanner.
>Apart from that, I don't want to go to the expense of purchasing a new video card. My old 9600XT is more than
>enough for what I do.

The reason I asked is that I still need a SCSI card for my old
scanner, too. With my next build, though, I'll get USB 2, and the
scanner will bite the dust. That still leaves my SCSI DAT drive
though. It can be hard getting away from SCSI.

Ron