Long pause when new disc inserted into CD and/or DVD drive.

Hardware:
P4 2.6GHz 1GB PC3200 RAM
NEC-5700A CD/DVD ROM drive
NEC-1300A DVD+/-RW drive
Software:
Windows XP Pro SP1

Whenever I insert a new CD or DVD into either my NEC-5700A CD/DVD
drive or my NEC-1300A DVD+/-R drive, there is a period of about 10-20
seconds where the system sort of freezes (at least any instance of
Explorer or any application with a file dialog open freezes) until the
disc spins up and is recognized by XP.

It never bothered my before until I noticed no such system wide delays
on a friends new XP box when inserting DVDs into a Plextor DVD drive.

Is this something isolated to NEC drives (all I have access to is NEC
IDE drives) or somethign typical of all XP systems? Is this delay
caused by XP or the drive? Is there a way to prevent or shorten this
delay?

TIA

---
Papaboojum

I have a TDK 440n, which is just a rebadged NEC DVD-RW
drive.

It, too, has an unbearably long spin-up time, of around 10-
20 seconds. It's not very useful for games, either, as the
long spinup lends to stuttering. I think that's just the
nature of the drive, but if anyone knows of a fix, I'll be
glad to hear it.