No fan error

JF

I built a computer for my sister built on an Asus motherboard model no:
A7V600-X KT600 USB 2.0 running an AMD Sempron 2500.
Everything was fine for a week, but suddenly the onboard speech, starting
saying that the processor fan had failed. I opened the case and it was
spinning fine, so I replaced it with a bigger and better one, but again it
says that it had failed. I ran it for around an hour running various apps
and reset it, in the BIOS it showed 0rpm but the processor temp was 45
degrees. I have googled and found that the temp of a sempron is around
95-100 so it is well within it's capabilites.

Do I have anything to worry about??
Is there a bug with this board and processor fans?
If so is there a patch?

TIA
John

It does sound as if the fan speed detector circuitry has failed,
assuming (as I do) that you plugged the fan (back) into the right
socket on the motherboard. Your temperature is fine. If the BIOS shows
0 rpm with two different fans running you should probably RMA the
board.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:59:58 GMT, "JF" <whistle48@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I built a computer for my sister built on an Asus motherboard model no:
>A7V600-X KT600 USB 2.0 running an AMD Sempron 2500.
>Everything was fine for a week, but suddenly the onboard speech, starting
>saying that the processor fan had failed. I opened the case and it was
>spinning fine, so I replaced it with a bigger and better one, but again it
>says that it had failed. I ran it for around an hour running various apps
>and reset it, in the BIOS it showed 0rpm but the processor temp was 45
>degrees. I have googled and found that the temp of a sempron is around
>95-100 so it is well within it's capabilites.
>
>Do I have anything to worry about??
>Is there a bug with this board and processor fans?
>If so is there a patch?
>
>TIA
>John

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Does the new fan have a tacho? Some have a third wire, but it isn't a
tacho wire. I don't know if that matters, but worth checking into.