USB external hard drive - re-activate

Hi i recently put together an external USB2.0 external hd. Its one of those
enclosure kits that can house a standard HD. I have a maxtor 250GB drive.
Everything works great until i power off the drive and turn it back on at a
later point. Then in order for the drive to re-appear i have to go into
computer manager and re-activate the disk in order to get windows explorer
to see the drive again. Is there any way i can avoid this extra step
everytime? I've even tried 'safely' removing the usb device and no luck. I
have a USB camera with a memory stick that never seems to have this problem
and always comes up as drive F each time, so i would imagine it should be
something possible to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

--minnoce944
2 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive activate

    Have you checked the Computer Management applet in Control Panel, under
    Storage? The disk should appear in theri and be assigned a letter for the
    drive; it is down the 'tree' under disc mangaemnet...
    "msnews.microsoft.com" <minnoce944@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi i recently put together an external USB2.0 external hd. Its one of
    those
    > enclosure kits that can house a standard HD. I have a maxtor 250GB drive.
    > Everything works great until i power off the drive and turn it back on at
    > later point. Then in order for the drive to re-appear i have to go into
    > computer manager and re-activate the disk in order to get windows explorer
    > to see the drive again. Is there any way i can avoid this extra step
    > everytime? I've even tried 'safely' removing the usb device and no luck. I
    > have a USB camera with a memory stick that never seems to have this
    problem
    > and always comes up as drive F each time, so i would imagine it should be
    > something possible to accomplish.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    >
    > --minnoce944

    Yeah its there in the disk management until i power it off.
    When i power it back on it gets listed as disk 1 and i have to re-activate
    it in order for it to appear again with a drive letter.

    --minnoce944

    "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Have you checked the Computer Management applet in Control Panel, under
    > Storage? The disk should appear in theri and be assigned a letter for the
    > drive; it is down the 'tree' under disc mangaemnet...
    > "msnews.microsoft.com" <minnoce944@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi i recently put together an external USB2.0 external hd. Its one of
    > those
    > > enclosure kits that can house a standard HD. I have a maxtor 250GB
    drive.
    > > Everything works great until i power off the drive and turn it back on
    at
    > > later point. Then in order for the drive to re-appear i have to go into
    > > computer manager and re-activate the disk in order to get windows
    explorer
    > > to see the drive again. Is there any way i can avoid this extra step
    > > everytime? I've even tried 'safely' removing the usb device and no luck.
    > > have a USB camera with a memory stick that never seems to have this
    > problem
    > > and always comes up as drive F each time, so i would imagine it should
    be
    > > something possible to accomplish.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    > >
    > > --minnoce944