What is the best disk benchmark software

I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec

what is the best software for test and benchmark??
thank you
Massimo

massimo wrote:
> I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec
>
> what is the best software for test and benchmark??
> thank you
> Massimo

HDTach is quite popular.

There's a small roundup here:
http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks

Depends what you want to test, really.

Ben

massimo wrote:

> I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec
>
> what is the best software for test and benchmark??
> thank you
> Massimo

To test the raw performance of a HD, HDtach is the only app I trust.
Most other HD benchmarks actually test the performance of the
filesystem, rather than the HD.

To verify that a HD works, use chkdsk (for NT/W2K/XP) or scandisk
(for W9x); or, download the HD vendor's diagnostic.
--
Cheers, Bob

milleron

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:06:18 +0100, Ben Pope
<benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

>massimo wrote:
>> I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec
>>
>> what is the best software for test and benchmark??
>> thank you
>> Massimo
>
>HDTach is quite popular.

Hey, HDTach is now free! The last time I tried to use it, the free
version worked only on Windows 9.x. When did they release a free
version for 2K/XP?

>There's a small roundup here:
>http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks
>
>Depends what you want to test, really.
>
>Ben

Ron

milleron wrote:

> Hey, HDTach is now free! The last time I tried to use it, the free
> version worked only on Windows 9.x. When did they release a free
> version for 2K/XP

Sprint/summer of 2004. The new v3.x only works on W2K/XP; if you need
W9x support, v2.x is still around.

Note that the free version only measures read performance; if you
need write data, buy the full-price copy.

I beta-tested v3.x on 5 different HDs (SATA and PATA) on 4 different
PCs (AMD and Intel). HDtach is still, IMHO, the gold-standard for
benchmarking HDs. {No, I'm not on their payroll.}
--
Cheers, Bob

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:50:19 +0200, "Ulrich Müller"
<benchmark@austronaut.com> wrote:

>"massimo" <info@digitaltime.info> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec
>>
>> what is the best software for test and benchmark??
>
>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_hdsoft.htm
>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_systemsoft.htm
>
>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd.html
>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd2.html

with the system management windows you can double click on your hard
disk drive controler and select your primary drive and click speed
test...

and voilà.

DDC wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:50:19 +0200, "Ulrich Müller"
> <benchmark@austronaut.com> wrote:
>

>>"massimo" <info@digitaltime.info> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>>I would like to test my new drive Hitachi Sata 2 3gb/sec
>>>
>>>what is the best software for test and benchmark??
>>
>>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_hdsoft.htm
>>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_systemsoft.htm
>>
>>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd.html
>>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd2.html
>>

> with the system management windows you can double click on your hard
> disk drive controler and select your primary drive and click speed
> test...
>
> and voilà.

Uh, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this a.m., but I wish you
would be more specific about how to find this speed test. Something
like "under XP, click on Start, then on Settings, then on ControlPanel,
then on AdminTools, then on ..."
--
TIA & Cheers, Bob

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:24:54 -0400, Bob Willard
<BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

>DDC wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:50:19 +0200, "Ulrich Müller"
>> <benchmark@austronaut.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"massimo" <info@digitaltime.info> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_hdsoft.htm
>>>http://www.quickbench.mynetcologne.de/Be_systemsoft.htm
>>>
>>>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd.html
>>>http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/be_hdd2.html
>>>

>> with the system management windows you can double click on your hard
>> disk drive controler and select your primary drive and click speed
>> test...
>>
>> and voilà.
>>

>Uh, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this a.m., but I wish you
>would be more specific about how to find this speed test. Something
>like "under XP, click on Start, then on Settings, then on ControlPanel,
>then on AdminTools, then on ..."

Sorry, i will try to explain it.

Then try the start button go on parameter and click system config then
system... Go in the hardware tab click the peripheral manager and then
find your hhd controller, double click it, then select your primary
hard drive and there it is...

DDC wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:24:54 -0400, Bob Willard
> <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>DDC wrote:

>>>with the system management windows you can double click on your hard
>>>disk drive controler and select your primary drive and click speed
>>>test...
>>>
>>>and voilà.
>>>

>>Uh, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this a.m., but I wish you
>>would be more specific about how to find this speed test. Something
>>like "under XP, click on Start, then on Settings, then on ControlPanel,
>>then on AdminTools, then on ..."
>

> Sorry, i will try to explain it.
>
> Then try the start button go on parameter and click system config then
> system... Go in the hardware tab click the peripheral manager and then
> find your hhd controller, double click it, then select your primary
> hard drive and there it is...

If I follow you correctly, with normal XP nomenclature, you click on Start,
then Settings, then ControlPanel, then (double-click on) System, then
Hardware, then DeviceManger, then expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, then
(double-click on) Primary IDE Channel (for example), and (finally) on
AdvancedSettings to learn the Transfer Mode for this bus. If that's what
you mean, then I note that you are not measuring HD speed at all; merely
getting the stored max. bus speed for this IDE bus.

But, there are enough differences between what you said and what I did in
trying to follow you that I suspect you are not running on a vanilla XP PC,
or maybe your desktop is not English and stuff is getting lost in the
translation.
--
Cheers, Bob

milleron

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:05:03 -0400, DDC <whatsnow@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:24:54 -0400, Bob Willard
><BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>DDC wrote:

>>> with the system management windows you can double click on your hard
>>> disk drive controler and select your primary drive and click speed
>>> test...
>>>
>>> and voilà.
>>>

>>Uh, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this a.m., but I wish you
>>would be more specific about how to find this speed test. Something
>>like "under XP, click on Start, then on Settings, then on ControlPanel,
>>then on AdminTools, then on ..."
>
>Sorry, i will try to explain it.
>
>Then try the start button go on parameter and click system config then
>system... Go in the hardware tab click the peripheral manager and then
>find your hhd controller, double click it, then select your primary
>hard drive and there it is...

Well, unlike Bob, I have had my coffee, and I don't have the slightest
idea of what you're talking about here. There is no "parameter" to
click on from the Start menu. Running "msconfig" does bring up the
System Configuration applet (sounds like the "system config" you refer
to), but it has no "hardware tab." Doing searches on "peripheral
manager" and "speed test" in Windows Help yields nothing. Thinking
that by "peripheral manager," you might mean "Device Manager," I
double clicked the IDE controller there, but there's no speed test
there ( I already knew there wasn't, but tried it because of the
possibility that SP2 might have added something new).

Are you definitely talking about Windows XP?

If you're stating that XP has built-in hard-drive benchmarking
capability, please start your explanation over again because the one
you just gave was utter nonsense.

Ron

milleron wrote:
> Are you definitely talking about Windows XP?
>
> If you're stating that XP has built-in hard-drive benchmarking
> capability, please start your explanation over again because the one
> you just gave was utter nonsense.

It's part of the nForce4 IDE/SATA Drivers. Possibly others too.

If you open up the nForce driver "NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller", or
"NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller" and then select the Primary or
Secondary channel tab, there is a "Speed test..." button.

Ben

milleron

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:00:22 +0100, Ben Pope
<benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

>milleron wrote:
>> Are you definitely talking about Windows XP?
>>
>> If you're stating that XP has built-in hard-drive benchmarking
>> capability, please start your explanation over again because the one
>> you just gave was utter nonsense.
>
>It's part of the nForce4 IDE/SATA Drivers. Possibly others too.
>
>If you open up the nForce driver "NVIDIA nForce4 ADMA Controller", or
>"NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller" and then select the Primary or
>Secondary channel tab, there is a "Speed test..." button.

Thanks, Ben. Your explanation is amazingly UNlike the one given by
DDC. He was talking about "system management windows," clicking on
"parameter," and other terms that don't even exist in Windows XP.
Nowhere in the thread was nForce software ever mentioned, so if that's
what DDC was talking about, and that remains to be seen, it's no
wonder that no one could follow him.

Ron