Problem with asus p3b-f and pci wireless netcard

Hi

Newest bios on asus p3b-f
Windows xp with.

PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware

Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
netcards ?

The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware

On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
even longer distance.

Any ideas or similar experiences ?

mvh

John
9 answers Last reply
More about problem asus wireless netcard

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:04:30 +0200, JK <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    >Windows xp with.
    >
    >PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    >http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >
    >Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    >netcards ?
    >
    >The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    >http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >
    >On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    >with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    >even longer distance.
    >
    >Any ideas or similar experiences ?
    >
    >mvh

    Check the system requirements for the card and see what minimum revision PCI
    support it requires.

    The P2 and P3 family motherboards (440BX chipsets) supported PCI 2.1.
    It's not unusual to find modern PCI cards that require 2.2 or higher...

    /daytripper

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:25:04 -0400, daytripper
    <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:04:30 +0200, JK <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    >>Windows xp with.
    >>
    >>PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >>
    >>Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    >>netcards ?
    >>
    >>The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >>
    >>On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    >>with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    >>even longer distance.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or similar experiences ?
    >>
    >>mvh
    >
    >Check the system requirements for the card and see what minimum revision PCI
    >support it requires.
    >
    >The P2 and P3 family motherboards (440BX chipsets) supported PCI 2.1.
    >It's not unusual to find modern PCI cards that require 2.2 or higher...

    Thank you, it requires PCI 2.2

    best regards

    John

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:25:04 -0400, daytripper
    <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:04:30 +0200, JK <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    >>Windows xp with.
    >>
    >>PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >>
    >>Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    >>netcards ?
    >>
    >>The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >>
    >>On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    >>with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    >>even longer distance.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or similar experiences ?
    >>
    >>mvh
    >
    >Check the system requirements for the card and see what minimum revision PCI
    >support it requires.
    >
    >The P2 and P3 family motherboards (440BX chipsets) supported PCI 2.1.
    >It's not unusual to find modern PCI cards that require 2.2 or higher...

    Does anybody know of a brand having a wireless pci netcard only
    requiering pci 2.1 ?

    I have looked at some linksys and dlink cards and did not find it.

    Any ideas ?

    TIA

    John

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:25:04 -0400, daytripper
    <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:04:30 +0200, JK <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    >>Windows xp with.
    >>
    >>PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >>
    >>Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    >>netcards ?
    >>
    >>The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    >>http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >>
    >>On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    >>with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    >>even longer distance.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or similar experiences ?
    >>
    >>mvh
    >
    >Check the system requirements for the card and see what minimum revision PCI
    >support it requires.
    >
    >The P2 and P3 family motherboards (440BX chipsets) supported PCI 2.1.
    >It's not unusual to find modern PCI cards that require 2.2 or higher...

    It seams that you are wrong. The manual states, that pci is 2.2, but
    in bios 2.1 pci can be disabled/enabled.

    I will try with changing bios setting, and/or refresh windows.

    best regards

    John

    In article <ldv961lj223q45mjv2uv3dg0epfk6rncoe@4ax.com>, JK
    <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:

    > It seams that you are wrong. The manual states, that pci is 2.2, but
    > in bios 2.1 pci can be disabled/enabled.
    >
    > I will try with changing bios setting, and/or refresh windows.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > John

    What exactly is the problem you are having ?

    Some 440BX motherboard simply ignore certain PCI cards.
    Is your wireless card ignored ? Or is it detected
    and resources assigned by the BIOS ?

    If the problem is transmission distance, that is
    harder to explain as a motherboard fault.

    Paul

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:11:01 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <ldv961lj223q45mjv2uv3dg0epfk6rncoe@4ax.com>, JK
    ><johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:
    >

    >> It seams that you are wrong. The manual states, that pci is 2.2, but
    >> in bios 2.1 pci can be disabled/enabled.
    >>
    >> I will try with changing bios setting, and/or refresh windows.
    >>
    >> best regards
    >>
    >> John
    >
    >What exactly is the problem you are having ?
    >
    >Some 440BX motherboard simply ignore certain PCI cards.
    >Is your wireless card ignored ? Or is it detected
    >and resources assigned by the BIOS ?
    >
    >If the problem is transmission distance, that is
    >harder to explain as a motherboard fault.

    The problem is that wireless card is not working. Utility for the card
    not working, and not working with standard XP either.

    It cannot connect.

    best regards

    John

    In article <7boa615gba35mf5hcqb7g2gl9sm74unjp9@4ax.com>, JK
    <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:11:01 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <ldv961lj223q45mjv2uv3dg0epfk6rncoe@4ax.com>, JK
    > ><johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote:
    > >

    > >> It seams that you are wrong. The manual states, that pci is 2.2, but
    > >> in bios 2.1 pci can be disabled/enabled.
    > >>
    > >> I will try with changing bios setting, and/or refresh windows.
    > >>
    > >> best regards
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >
    > >What exactly is the problem you are having ?
    > >
    > >Some 440BX motherboard simply ignore certain PCI cards.
    > >Is your wireless card ignored ? Or is it detected
    > >and resources assigned by the BIOS ?
    > >
    > >If the problem is transmission distance, that is
    > >harder to explain as a motherboard fault.
    > >

    > The problem is that wireless card is not working. Utility for the card
    > not working, and not working with standard XP either.
    >
    > It cannot connect.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > John

    The reason I ask, is I wonder if the card can be seen in
    Linux but not in Windows ? Is the card completely invisible
    to any software probes ?

    Paul

    "JK" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    > Windows xp with.
    >
    > PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    > http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >
    > Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    > netcards ?
    >
    > The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    > http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >
    > On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    > with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    > even longer distance.
    >
    > Any ideas or similar experiences ?

    I've always had rotten luck getting wireless network cards (Linksys and
    D-Link) to work on older motherboards. I monkeyed around with BIOS settings
    after doing research online, I updated drivers, blah blah, but no luck.

    For older systems, I've had much better luck with USB wireless network
    adapters that just plug into a USB port. That's still no guarantee, however,
    because sometimes it takes a couple tries before the connection occurs. With
    Linksys equipment, the newer (v. 2 or higher) USB wireless adapters seem to
    be much better at grabbing and holding a connection.

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:02:32 -0400, "Hackworth"
    <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote:

    >"JK" <johnknuhtsenSP@Mmail.dk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Newest bios on asus p3b-f
    >> Windows xp with.
    >>
    >> PCI wireless netcard is Trendnet tew-423pi, 54 Mbit/s
    >> http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94303&type=hardware
    >>
    >> Is there something rotten about old motherboards and wireless pci
    >> netcards ?
    >>
    >> The router is Trendnet tew-432brp.
    >> http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=94301&type=hardware
    >>
    >> On others a little bit more modern MB this wireless works directly
    >> with drivers even without the utility (Trendnet) installed, - and on
    >> even longer distance.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or similar experiences ?
    >
    >I've always had rotten luck getting wireless network cards (Linksys and
    >D-Link) to work on older motherboards. I monkeyed around with BIOS settings
    >after doing research online, I updated drivers, blah blah, but no luck.
    >
    >For older systems, I've had much better luck with USB wireless network
    >adapters that just plug into a USB port. That's still no guarantee, however,
    >because sometimes it takes a couple tries before the connection occurs. With
    >Linksys equipment, the newer (v. 2 or higher) USB wireless adapters seem to
    >be much better at grabbing and holding a connection.

    That is what I will try, yes. Usb 11 Mbit/s, because usb 2.0 pci
    adapters requires pci 2.2 also.

    best regards

    John

Asus Wireless Trendnet Motherboards