Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
element moving while Windows does something but end up
with the error message. Any ideas?

Have you even bothered to go to the HP website and get the WinXP drivers for
this scanner?

Bobby

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
> not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
> connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
> Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
> or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
> Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
> element moving while Windows does something but end up
> with the error message. Any ideas?

Drivers and other updates are at the HP website at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60118&lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228
www.coribright.com

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
> not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
> connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
> Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
> or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
> Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
> element moving while Windows does something but end up
> with the error message. Any ideas?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already confirmed
that the scanner is compatible with Win XP, and yes, I've
already downloaded and installed the latest software and
drivers. I still get the same errors. I've even searched
the HP information and tried everything they suggest,
including registry edits, etc.

Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
>
>"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
>> not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try
>> connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
>> Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
>> or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message
saying
>> Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
>> element moving while Windows does something but end up
>> with the error message. Any ideas?
>

>.

Tom,

Go to HP's website and see if it's compatible with Windows XP then come back
here if it is.

Nospam

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
> not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
> connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
> Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
> or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
> Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
> element moving while Windows does something but end up
> with the error message. Any ideas?

Disconnect the scanner and uninstall it and the driver.
Reinstall the software THEN connect the scanner.

In message <c06701c48998$5034ac00$a601280a@phx.gbl>, Tom
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already confirmed
>that the scanner is compatible with Win XP, and yes, I've
>already downloaded and installed the latest software and
>drivers. I still get the same errors. I've even searched
>the HP information and tried everything they suggest,
>including registry edits, etc.

If it is any consolation the HP 5300C with the latest drivers is almost
as unreliable on XP Pro SP1. In fact it may be a lot quicker to list the
small number of older HP scanners that have trouble free installations
under XP.

The XP plug and pray installer has probably done something very silly
then. You will need to uninstall the scanner and then re-install the HP
drivers without the scanner connected to stand any chance at all.

HP's installer for my 5300C killed the XP hardware wizard stone dead.
The PC would not boot at all with the right HP drivers loaded and the
scanner connected so the installation could never be completed.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
drivers.(error messge
keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
is an old machine.
WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.

Courtesy of www.google.com

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/hp-4200c.html

Indrajit wrote:

> I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
> my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
> does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
> website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
> drivers.(error messge
> keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
> scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
> run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
> is an old machine.
> WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.
>
> "Tom" wrote:
>

>>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
>>not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
>>connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
>>Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
>>or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
>>Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
>>element moving while Windows does something but end up
>>with the error message. Any ideas?

I've just been trying to get the scaner properly installed with the
assistance of a computer technician. We both came to the conclusion that
Since the machine is only Win98, to operate in this operating system and to
transferthe results into a Windows XP directory.( I have Both operating
systems). and then get prints..etc
from the Hard drive. An inefficient way I grant you, but it is the best
solution for me at present,till I get an XP(pro) compatible scanner.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Courtesy of www.google.com
>
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/hp-4200c.html
>
> Indrajit wrote:
>
> > I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
> > my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
> > does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
> > website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
> > drivers.(error messge
> > keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
> > scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
> > run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
> > is an old machine.
> > WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.
> >
> > "Tom" wrote:
> >

> >>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
> >>not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
> >>connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
> >>Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
> >>or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
> >>Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
> >>element moving while Windows does something but end up
> >>with the error message. Any ideas?

HP has downloadable drivers
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60118&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
There is a patch for XP .