HP 4200C Scanner

I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
element moving while Windows does something but end up
with the error message. Any ideas?
11 answers Last reply
More about 4200c scanner

    Have you even bothered to go to the HP website and get the WinXP drivers for
    this scanner?

    Bobby

    "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    > not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
    > connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    > Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    > or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
    > Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    > element moving while Windows does something but end up
    > with the error message. Any ideas?

    Drivers and other updates are at the HP website at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60118&lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228
    www.coribright.com

    "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    > not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
    > connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    > Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    > or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
    > Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    > element moving while Windows does something but end up
    > with the error message. Any ideas?

    Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already confirmed
    that the scanner is compatible with Win XP, and yes, I've
    already downloaded and installed the latest software and
    drivers. I still get the same errors. I've even searched
    the HP information and tried everything they suggest,
    including registry edits, etc.

    Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com
    >
    >"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    >> not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try
    >> connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    >> Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    >> or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message
    saying
    >> Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    >> element moving while Windows does something but end up
    >> with the error message. Any ideas?
    >

    >.

    Tom,

    Go to HP's website and see if it's compatible with Windows XP then come back
    here if it is.

    Nospam

    "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    > not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
    > connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    > Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    > or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
    > Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    > element moving while Windows does something but end up
    > with the error message. Any ideas?

    Disconnect the scanner and uninstall it and the driver.
    Reinstall the software THEN connect the scanner.

    In message <c06701c48998$5034ac00$a601280a@phx.gbl>, Tom
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
    >Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've already confirmed
    >that the scanner is compatible with Win XP, and yes, I've
    >already downloaded and installed the latest software and
    >drivers. I still get the same errors. I've even searched
    >the HP information and tried everything they suggest,
    >including registry edits, etc.

    If it is any consolation the HP 5300C with the latest drivers is almost
    as unreliable on XP Pro SP1. In fact it may be a lot quicker to list the
    small number of older HP scanners that have trouble free installations
    under XP.

    The XP plug and pray installer has probably done something very silly
    then. You will need to uninstall the scanner and then re-install the HP
    drivers without the scanner connected to stand any chance at all.

    HP's installer for my 5300C killed the XP hardware wizard stone dead.
    The PC would not boot at all with the right HP drivers loaded and the
    scanner connected so the installation could never be completed.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
    my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
    does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
    website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
    drivers.(error messge
    keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
    scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
    run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
    is an old machine.
    WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.

    Courtesy of www.google.com

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/hp-4200c.html

    Indrajit wrote:

    > I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
    > my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
    > does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
    > website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
    > drivers.(error messge
    > keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
    > scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
    > run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
    > is an old machine.
    > WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.
    >
    > "Tom" wrote:
    >

    >>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    >>not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
    >>connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    >>Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    >>or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
    >>Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    >>element moving while Windows does something but end up
    >>with the error message. Any ideas?

    I've just been trying to get the scaner properly installed with the
    assistance of a computer technician. We both came to the conclusion that
    Since the machine is only Win98, to operate in this operating system and to
    transferthe results into a Windows XP directory.( I have Both operating
    systems). and then get prints..etc
    from the Hard drive. An inefficient way I grant you, but it is the best
    solution for me at present,till I get an XP(pro) compatible scanner.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Courtesy of www.google.com
    >
    > http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/hp-4200c.html
    >
    > Indrajit wrote:
    >
    > > I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and WinXP(pro) installed on
    > > my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but some how the scanner
    > > does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free software from HP's
    > > website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP supplied CD for the
    > > drivers.(error messge
    > > keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do not want to throw the
    > > scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so that I can effeciently
    > > run my home based business. I get nothing from HP support as they say that it
    > > is an old machine.
    > > WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.
    > >
    > > "Tom" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I used to use the HP 4200C scanner with Win 98. It was
    > >>not connected when I upgraded to Win XP. Now when I try to
    > >>connect it, it seems Win XP recognizes it correctly in
    > >>Device Manager, but I am unable to get Properties for it
    > >>or to use it from the Scan Wizard. I get a message saying
    > >>Windows doesn't see the scanner. I can hear the scan
    > >>element moving while Windows does something but end up
    > >>with the error message. Any ideas?

    HP has downloadable drivers
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60118&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228
    There is a patch for XP .

    "Indrajit Mitra (Mr.)" <Indrajit Mitra
    (Mr.)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I've just been trying to get the scaner properly installed
    with the
    | assistance of a computer technician. We both came to the
    conclusion that
    | Since the machine is only Win98, to operate in this
    operating system and to
    | transferthe results into a Windows XP directory.( I have
    Both operating
    | systems). and then get prints..etc
    | from the Hard drive. An inefficient way I grant you, but
    it is the best
    | solution for me at present,till I get an XP(pro)
    compatible scanner.

    | "Bob I" wrote:
    |
    | > Courtesy of www.google.com
    | >
    | > http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/hp-4200c.html
    | >
    | > Indrajit wrote:
    | >
    | > > I also have a Scanjet 4200C, I have both Win98SE and
    WinXP(pro) installed on
    | > > my system. 99% of my computer use is with XP(pro), but
    some how the scanner
    | > > does not operate in XP, even via downloading the free
    software from HP's
    | > > website and trying unsuccessfully to instal from an HP
    supplied CD for the
    | > > drivers.(error messge
    | > > keeps saying that it does not recognise WinXP. I do
    not want to throw the
    | > > scanner away, but just to make it operate under XP, so
    that I can effeciently
    | > > run my home based business. I get nothing from HP
    support as they say that it
    | > > is an old machine.
    | > > WHAT CAN I DO? Anybody.

Hewlett Packard Scanners Windows XP