usb 1.1 device on usb 2.0 port

Silly question, but what would happen if I were to attach a usb 1.1 device
to a usb 2.0 port? should I keep a fire extinguisher handy for the
experiment?

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1. Your device will simply
run at 1.1 speeds on the USB 2.0 controller. No fire extinguisher
required ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

"Desmond Clarkson" <fake-email@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Silly question, but what would happen if I were to attach a usb 1.1 device
> to a usb 2.0 port? should I keep a fire extinguisher handy for the
> experiment?

is the fire extinguisher USB2.x compatible?

technically, USB2.x ports are backward compatible with all USB1.x devices,
so they should work just fine, and possibly better, ie, if there are many
USB1.x devices sharing a single USB2 hub.

on the other hand, USB2 devices on a USB1 port will, depending on the type
of device, operate normally, at reduced performance or not at all.
low-bandwidth usb2 devices are usually compatible with both USB1 and/or USB2
(keyboard, mouse, etc). high-bandwidth devices (memory sticks, external
drives, etc) will operate at significantly reduced performance or not at all
on USB1.x ports.

--
francis

You said USB 2.x ports. Am I missing something? Only USB's I know of
are 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. If there is a new version out, I wish someone
would have told me :p

Anyways, solid answer - YES :)

----
Nathan McNulty

francis gérard wrote:
> "Desmond Clarkson" <fake-email@rogers.com> wrote in message
>
>>Silly question, but what would happen if I were to attach a usb 1.1 device
>>to a usb 2.0 port? should I keep a fire extinguisher handy for the
>>experiment?
>

> is the fire extinguisher USB2.x compatible?
>
> technically, USB2.x ports are backward compatible with all USB1.x devices,
> so they should work just fine, and possibly better, ie, if there are many
> USB1.x devices sharing a single USB2 hub.
>
> on the other hand, USB2 devices on a USB1 port will, depending on the type
> of device, operate normally, at reduced performance or not at all.
> low-bandwidth usb2 devices are usually compatible with both USB1 and/or USB2
> (keyboard, mouse, etc). high-bandwidth devices (memory sticks, external
> drives, etc) will operate at significantly reduced performance or not at all
> on USB1.x ports.
>
> --
> francis

If any of the replies seem a little unclear, use Windex on the monitor to
clear things up.. Windex is XP compatible..

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> You said USB 2.x ports. Am I missing something? Only USB's I know of are
> 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. If there is a new version out, I wish someone would
> have told me :p

i usually refer to the sub-version as '.x', since that covers all the bases

--
francis

"Mike H" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> If any of the replies seem a little unclear, use Windex on the monitor to
> clear things up.. Windex is XP compatible..

but won't the ammonia component strip/dissolve the anti-glare coating (if
present). lens cleaner might be better.

--
francis