  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2005 3:11:22 PM

Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
other than a defective motherboard?
Thanks,
Bob Leslie

More about : defective motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2005 8:16:23 PM

Sounds like you've got a relatively rare dead Asus board.

--
DaveW

"Bobbie Leslie" <bleslie3@cox.net> wrote in message
> Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
> board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
> this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
> minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
> cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
> and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
> video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
> Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
> same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
> As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
> settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
> further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
> short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
> to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
> tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
> had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
> a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
> motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
> board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
> However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
> a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
> your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
> on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
> halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
> Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
> other than a defective motherboard?
> Thanks,
> Bob Leslie
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2005 9:23:34 PM

I assume that you have also tried doing whatever you have to do on
that board to clear the BIOS back to default settings.

Assuming that you have also tried both AGP and PCI Video cards, I can
think of nothing else to try, and would assume a bad board.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:11:22 -0500, Bobbie Leslie <bleslie3@cox.net>
wrote:

>Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
>board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
>this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
>minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
>cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
>and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
>video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
>Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
>same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
>As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
>settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
>further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
>short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
>to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
>tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
>had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
>a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
>motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
>board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
>However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
>a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
>your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
>on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
>halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
>Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
>other than a defective motherboard?
>Thanks,
>Bob Leslie

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

April 19, 2005 11:10:04 PM

Bobbie;

If this mobo (what model?) has the "Asus POST Reporter" just plug powered
speakers into the sound output jack and hear what it diagnoses.
If no POST Reporter, do you at least get beep codes?

Tom

"Bobbie Leslie" <bleslie3@cox.net> wrote in message
> Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
> board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
> this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
> minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
> cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
> and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
> video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
> Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
> same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
> As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
> settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
> further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
> short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
> to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
> tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
> had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
> a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
> motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
> board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
> However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
> a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
> your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
> on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
> halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
> Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
> other than a defective motherboard?
> Thanks,
> Bob Leslie
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2005 12:27:54 AM

Bobbie Leslie wrote:
> Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
> board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
> this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
> minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
> cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
> and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
> video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
> Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
> same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
> As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
> settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
> further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
> short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
> to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
> tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
> had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
> a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
> motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
> board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
> However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
> a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
> your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
> on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
> halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
> Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
> other than a defective motherboard?
> Thanks,
> Bob Leslie

Defective Monitor / cable?

Does the system beep at (or talk to) you at all?

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2005 12:35:07 AM

Jimbo wrote:

<snip>

Can you let me know the lottery numbers please?

:-p

Ben
April 20, 2005 7:26:26 AM

In article <1vaa61leplaagko19e2vhvbss49s00c988@4ax.com>, Bobbie Leslie
<bleslie3@cox.net> wrote:

> Board was purchased for friend 10/8/2004 and she cancelled before
> board arrived and we put it in stock. Aguy called 4/08/2005, wanted
> this specific board for his system. After building the computer to
> minimum operating condition, i.e., motherboard, power supply,
> cpu/heatsink & fan (Antec), Video card and memory, turned system on
> and monitor responded with "no video signal". I have replaced the
> video card (1.5v) with a brand new one, and got same "no video signal.
> Changed to new memory, same message. Changed CPU to brand new one,
> same message. Changed to new 400Watt Antec power supply, same message.
> As usual I have checked and double checked all jumpers, switch
> settings and wiring and still get same message. I went one step
> further by isolating the motherboard from the case (to detect possible
> short) and got same message, then put jumper from motherboard ground
> to chassis ground and stilll same message "no video signal". I even
> tried with a HDD connected to see if a load was required (I've never
> had that happen before) and still "no video siganl. I have turned out
> a rather large number of systems and this is only the second ASUS
> motherboard failure I've experienced in 15 years. I bought the retail
> board from www.newegg.com and of course this is out of their warranty.
> However, they did supply a link to ASUS (which is a waste of time) and
> a phone number. The link takes you to a form to fill out spelling out
> your problem and identifying every thing associated and when you click
> on "submit" the little blue bar at the bottom of IE drags about
> halfway and then you get the messagge "Server Connection Failure!!
> Please try again.. Well after 22 tries I gave up. Any ideas out there
> other than a defective motherboard?
> Thanks,
> Bob Leslie

Try a non-Antec brand power supply ? There was a batch of boards
that would not start, if connected to various versions of the
Antec Truepower. Try another brand of supply and see if the
symptoms change.

Paul

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2005 5:17:45 PM

Does the green power light on the motherboard come on when you turn on
the power supply?

Is the power supply set for 115 volts?

Have you checked the continuity of the power switch on the case with a
VOM meter? Alternately you could just short the two power switch pins
on the motherboard.

Have you verified absolutely that the power switch connector is on the
correct 2 pins on the motherboard?

When you turn on the power do the fans run? Do they even jump a little
when the switch is turned on?

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery and then shorting the "clear
cmos" pins, reinserting the battery and trying it again?

What CPU are you using?

!