Have a P4C800 Deluxe. Question on POST Reporter:

Have it enabled in the Bios and also installed the Winbond Voice Editor, but
no audio prompts on boot. Could this be because I'm using an Audigy Sound
Card rather than the Asus onboard audio chip?

TIA

Ed

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:59:40 GMT, "Tom Dauphin" <tdauphin@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Have a P4C800 Deluxe. Question on POST Reporter:
>
>Have it enabled in the Bios and also installed the Winbond Voice Editor, but
>no audio prompts on boot. Could this be because I'm using an Audigy Sound
>Card rather than the Asus onboard audio chip?
>
>TIA

I think the voice is only heard if you use the onboard sound and plug in
headphones (or amplified speakers) to the lime port (front speaker out),
though I could be wrong. My 5 year old Soyo board sends the voice to the
case speaker and is hard to hear/undersdtand.
Ed

I have five Asus boards with voice post in different machines and not one of
them is clearly audible
"Ed" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:59:40 GMT, "Tom Dauphin" <tdauphin@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Have a P4C800 Deluxe. Question on POST Reporter:
>>
>>Have it enabled in the Bios and also installed the Winbond Voice Editor,
>>but
>>no audio prompts on boot. Could this be because I'm using an Audigy Sound
>>Card rather than the Asus onboard audio chip?
>>
>>TIA
>>

> I think the voice is only heard if you use the onboard sound and plug in
> headphones (or amplified speakers) to the lime port (front speaker out),
> though I could be wrong. My 5 year old Soyo board sends the voice to the
> case speaker and is hard to hear/undersdtand.
> Ed

Thanks for the posts. My guess is that, like the instant on music feature,
it must be through the onboard sound chip.

Tom Dauphin wrote:

> Have a P4C800 Deluxe. Question on POST Reporter:
>
> Have it enabled in the Bios and also installed the Winbond Voice Editor, but
> no audio prompts on boot. Could this be because I'm using an Audigy Sound
> Card rather than the Asus onboard audio chip?

I -believe- that you only get audio alerts if something's wrong. I
have an A8V, onboard audio w/external speakers, am not getting vocal
POST and this is what I was told. A friend with the same setup as me
but a different board is getting vocal POST though...

I tried booting without keyboard to check if audio would alert to no
keyboard, but no alert - only BSOD going into XP.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:14:06 GMT, "Tom Dauphin" <tdauphin@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I tried booting without keyboard to check if audio would alert to no
>keyboard, but no alert - only BSOD going into XP.

Most mobos have an option in the BIOS called "Halt on All Errors", you
can set it up so it boots even without a keyboard connected. Still
doesn't explain why a BSOD though, XP doesn't need a keyboard or a mouse
to run. Bad ram, weak PSU?

Ed

Have never had a problem with the ram (2x512 Corsair) or PS (Antec trueblue
480). Only know that once the kybd is reconnected everything runs fine. Oh
well..........
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:14:06 GMT, "Tom Dauphin" <tdauphin@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I tried booting without keyboard to check if audio would alert to no
>>keyboard, but no alert - only BSOD going into XP.
>
> Most mobos have an option in the BIOS called "Halt on All Errors", you
> can set it up so it boots even without a keyboard connected. Still
> doesn't explain why a BSOD though, XP doesn't need a keyboard or a mouse
> to run. Bad ram, weak PSU?
>
> Ed

I've got 2 Asus board with this feature. You need to use the on-board sound
card and connect either headphones or an amplified speaker to the lime
(green) output on the MB back panel. With amplified speakers I find the
output both clear and audible.