Outlook and Wireless Networking

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 28, 2005 4:24:21 AM

I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a wireless
network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we be
reading the same email if we only have one email address ??

Thanks,
January 28, 2005 8:19:57 AM

Ray wrote:

> I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
> wireless
> network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
> be reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
>
> Thanks,

I think this will work if you leave the messages on the server. Just
don't forget to eventually delete them from the server. For more
specific OE help, post in an OE newsgroup such as:

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to leave mail on the server.
One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have the ability to remove
messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and I can share one email
account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and Outlook Express on her
PC.

Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one computer go to "Tools ->
Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced", and check the box to "Leave
a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server after X day(s)" box. On the
other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties ->
Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server". Check the "Remove from
server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on the server. That way all
computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the messages are actually deleted
off of the server.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vjprnsng81cc7@corp.supernews.com...
> I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a wireless
> network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we be
> reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
>
> Thanks,

Related resources
January 28, 2005 11:37:47 AM

Sooner Al,
Thanks for your help...I have one more question ! I've read that to be able
to network to wireless, a minimum of Win98 SE must be installed.

I have win98 on my desktop and want to introduce a notebook which would be
purchased with win XP.

Will this cause a problem ?? Do I need to upgrade my desktop to something
better than win98.

Thanks,
Ray

> If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to
leave mail on the server.
> One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have
the ability to remove
> messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and
I can share one email
> account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and
Outlook Express on her
> PC.
>
> Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one
computer go to "Tools ->
> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced",
and check the box to "Leave
> a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
after X day(s)" box. On the
> other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
select "Properties ->
> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
Check the "Remove from
> server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on
the server. That way all
> computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
messages are actually deleted
> off of the server.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
wireless
> > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
be
> > reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
> >
> > Thanks,

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 28, 2005 2:18:19 PM

Ray,

My knowledge of wireless and Windows 98 is limited to this statement in this FAQ...

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/techinfo/ove...

*******************************
Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 Support

Q. What wireless support is built into Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT 4.0?

A. There is currently no built-in wireless LAN support in Windows Me, Windows 98, or Windows
NT 4.0. Wireless network adapter manufacturers must supply all wireless and authentication
functionality for these versions of Windows.

The exceptions are the additional Microsoft 802.1X Authentication Client packages for Windows
98/Windows Me and Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (with Service Pack 6 or later), which are available
through the Microsoft Premier and Alliance Support organizations to customers with Premier and
Alliance support contracts. For details about obtaining the clients, contact your technical account
manager. Microsoft 802.1X Authentication Client packages for Windows 98/Windows Me and Windows NT
4.0 Workstation are not available for redistribution.
********************************

So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access point/broadband router? You
could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment and use the laptop
wirelessly...

This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?

--

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vkj8jajcdmhc6@corp.supernews.com...
> Sooner Al,
> Thanks for your help...I have one more question ! I've read that to be able
> to network to wireless, a minimum of Win98 SE must be installed.
>
> I have win98 on my desktop and want to introduce a notebook which would be
> purchased with win XP.
>
> Will this cause a problem ?? Do I need to upgrade my desktop to something
> better than win98.
>
> Thanks,
> Ray
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to
> leave mail on the server.
>> One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have
> the ability to remove
>> messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and
> I can share one email
>> account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and
> Outlook Express on her
>> PC.
>>
>> Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one
> computer go to "Tools ->
>> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced",
> and check the box to "Leave
>> a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
> after X day(s)" box. On the
>> other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
> select "Properties ->
>> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
> Check the "Remove from
>> server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on
> the server. That way all
>> computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
> messages are actually deleted
>> off of the server.
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
> wireless
>> > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
> be
>> > reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
>> >
>> > Thanks,

January 28, 2005 4:10:00 PM

Sooner Al

Quote:
So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access
point/broadband router? You
could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment
and use the laptop
wirelessly...

This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?

Yes I have broadband service. If I understand you correctly, the following
would apply. Cable from service into desktop modem hard wired to combo
router, one side of router hard wired to desktop and another branch from
router to wireless card for notebook ??

Would it have to be a special router ??

How am I doing ??

Thanks,
Ray

--
"Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:o rwdd1VBFHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
Advanced",
> > and check the box to "Leave
> >> a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
> > after X day(s)" box. On the
> >> other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
> > select "Properties ->
> >> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the
server".
> > Check the "Remove from
> >> server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages
on
> > the server. That way all
> >> computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
> > messages are actually deleted
> >> off of the server.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>

> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 28, 2005 7:49:16 PM

That is exactly how I have my current LAN setup, although it does change from time to time for
testing...:-)

In my case I currently use a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/802.11b/g Wireless Access
Point. Here is my network diagram...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html

I have two hardwired XP boxes and an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC that usually connects via an 802.11b
wireless connection.

A lot of folks seem to like the Linksys WRT54G and successor products. In fact my middle step-son
has installed three or four for his work, friends and himself....

For reviews, etc look at these sites...

http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.timhiggins.com/

Others, I am sure, will have other suggestions...

--

"Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vl36tludqqeef@corp.supernews.com...
> Sooner Al
>
> Quote:
> So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access
> point/broadband router? You
> could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment
> and use the laptop
> wirelessly...
>
> This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?
>
> Yes I have broadband service. If I understand you correctly, the following
> would apply. Cable from service into desktop modem hard wired to combo
> router, one side of router hard wired to desktop and another branch from
> router to wireless card for notebook ??
>
> Would it have to be a special router ??
>
> How am I doing ??
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

January 29, 2005 1:07:42 AM

Al,
Outstanding advice from you...thanks for all your help !!

news:o SCnZuYBFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!