Outlook and Wireless Networking

I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a wireless
network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we be
reading the same email if we only have one email address ??

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply
More about outlook wireless networking

    Ray wrote:

    > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
    > wireless
    > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
    > be reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
    >
    > Thanks,

    I think this will work if you leave the messages on the server. Just
    don't forget to eventually delete them from the server. For more
    specific OE help, post in an OE newsgroup such as:

    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to leave mail on the server.
    One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have the ability to remove
    messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and I can share one email
    account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and Outlook Express on her
    PC.

    Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one computer go to "Tools ->
    Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced", and check the box to "Leave
    a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server after X day(s)" box. On the
    other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties ->
    Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server". Check the "Remove from
    server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on the server. That way all
    computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the messages are actually deleted
    off of the server.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vjprnsng81cc7@corp.supernews.com...
    > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a wireless
    > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we be
    > reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
    >
    > Thanks,

    Sooner Al,
    Thanks for your help...I have one more question ! I've read that to be able
    to network to wireless, a minimum of Win98 SE must be installed.

    I have win98 on my desktop and want to introduce a notebook which would be
    purchased with win XP.

    Will this cause a problem ?? Do I need to upgrade my desktop to something
    better than win98.

    Thanks,
    Ray

    > If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to
    leave mail on the server.
    > One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have
    the ability to remove
    > messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and
    I can share one email
    > account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and
    Outlook Express on her
    > PC.
    >
    > Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one
    computer go to "Tools ->
    > Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced",
    and check the box to "Leave
    > a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
    after X day(s)" box. On the
    > other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
    select "Properties ->
    > Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
    Check the "Remove from
    > server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on
    the server. That way all
    > computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
    messages are actually deleted
    > off of the server.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
    wireless
    > > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
    be
    > > reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    Ray,

    My knowledge of wireless and Windows 98 is limited to this statement in this FAQ...

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/techinfo/overview/wififaq.mspx

    *******************************
    Windows Me, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 Support

    Q. What wireless support is built into Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT 4.0?

    A. There is currently no built-in wireless LAN support in Windows Me, Windows 98, or Windows
    NT 4.0. Wireless network adapter manufacturers must supply all wireless and authentication
    functionality for these versions of Windows.

    The exceptions are the additional Microsoft 802.1X Authentication Client packages for Windows
    98/Windows Me and Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (with Service Pack 6 or later), which are available
    through the Microsoft Premier and Alliance Support organizations to customers with Premier and
    Alliance support contracts. For details about obtaining the clients, contact your technical account
    manager. Microsoft 802.1X Authentication Client packages for Windows 98/Windows Me and Windows NT
    4.0 Workstation are not available for redistribution.
    ********************************

    So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access point/broadband router? You
    could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment and use the laptop
    wirelessly...

    This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?

    --

    "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vkj8jajcdmhc6@corp.supernews.com...
    > Sooner Al,
    > Thanks for your help...I have one more question ! I've read that to be able
    > to network to wireless, a minimum of Win98 SE must be installed.
    >
    > I have win98 on my desktop and want to introduce a notebook which would be
    > purchased with win XP.
    >
    > Will this cause a problem ?? Do I need to upgrade my desktop to something
    > better than win98.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> If you simply want to share a single email account setup each machine to
    > leave mail on the server.
    >> One client, however, should be configured to act as the "master" and have
    > the ability to remove
    >> messages from the server after X days. I use this strategy so my wife and
    > I can share one email
    >> account between two XP machines. We do that with Outlook 2003 on my PC and
    > Outlook Express on her
    >> PC.
    >>
    >> Point each of the computers to the mail server at your ISP. Then on one
    > computer go to "Tools ->
    >> Accounts", highlight the email account, select "Properties -> Advanced",
    > and check the box to "Leave
    >> a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
    > after X day(s)" box. On the
    >> other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
    > select "Properties ->
    >> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
    > Check the "Remove from
    >> server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages on
    > the server. That way all
    >> computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
    > messages are actually deleted
    >> off of the server.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm new to this so go easy on me...If I connect two computers via a
    > wireless
    >> > network can 2 people be in Outlook express at the same time ?? Can we
    > be
    >> > reading the same email if we only have one email address ??
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,

    Sooner Al

    Quote:
    So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access
    point/broadband router? You
    could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment
    and use the laptop
    wirelessly...

    This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?

    Yes I have broadband service. If I understand you correctly, the following
    would apply. Cable from service into desktop modem hard wired to combo
    router, one side of router hard wired to desktop and another branch from
    router to wireless card for notebook ??

    Would it have to be a special router ??

    How am I doing ??

    Thanks,
    Ray

    --
    "Sooner Al (MVP)" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
    Advanced",
    > > and check the box to "Leave
    > >> a copy of messages on the server". DO NOT check the "Remove from server
    > > after X day(s)" box. On the
    > >> other computer go to "Tools -> Accounts", highlight the email account,
    > > select "Properties ->
    > >> Advanced" and check the box to "Leave a copy of messages on the
    server".
    > > Check the "Remove from
    > >> server after X day(s)" box and select how many days to leave messages
    on
    > > the server. That way all
    > >> computers can read the mail, but only one controls when and/or if the
    > > messages are actually deleted
    > >> off of the server.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>

    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the

    That is exactly how I have my current LAN setup, although it does change from time to time for
    testing...:-)

    In my case I currently use a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/802.11b/g Wireless Access
    Point. Here is my network diagram...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html

    I have two hardwired XP boxes and an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC that usually connects via an 802.11b
    wireless connection.

    A lot of folks seem to like the Linksys WRT54G and successor products. In fact my middle step-son
    has installed three or four for his work, friends and himself....

    For reviews, etc look at these sites...

    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.timhiggins.com/

    Others, I am sure, will have other suggestions...

    --

    "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:10vl36tludqqeef@corp.supernews.com...
    > Sooner Al
    >
    > Quote:
    > So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access
    > point/broadband router? You
    > could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN segment
    > and use the laptop
    > wirelessly...
    >
    > This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?
    >
    > Yes I have broadband service. If I understand you correctly, the following
    > would apply. Cable from service into desktop modem hard wired to combo
    > router, one side of router hard wired to desktop and another branch from
    > router to wireless card for notebook ??
    >
    > Would it have to be a special router ??
    >
    > How am I doing ??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ray

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Al,
    Outstanding advice from you...thanks for all your help !!

    > That is exactly how I have my current LAN setup, although it does change
    from time to time for
    > testing...:-)
    >
    > In my case I currently use a Buffalo WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband
    Router/802.11b/g Wireless Access
    > Point. Here is my network diagram...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html
    >
    > I have two hardwired XP boxes and an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC that usually
    connects via an 802.11b
    > wireless connection.
    >
    > A lot of folks seem to like the Linksys WRT54G and successor products. In
    fact my middle step-son
    > has installed three or four for his work, friends and himself....
    >
    > For reviews, etc look at these sites...
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.timhiggins.com/
    >
    > Others, I am sure, will have other suggestions...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Ray" <thecarreras@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > > Sooner Al
    > >
    > > Quote:
    > > So, with that said why not simply purchase a combination wireless access
    > > point/broadband router? You
    > > could hardwire your Win98 desktop to the router on a 100 Mbps LAN
    segment
    > > and use the laptop
    > > wirelessly...
    > >
    > > This presumes you have a broadband ISP...Do you?
    > >
    > > Yes I have broadband service. If I understand you correctly, the
    following
    > > would apply. Cable from service into desktop modem hard wired to combo
    > > router, one side of router hard wired to desktop and another branch from
    > > router to wireless card for notebook ??
    > >
    > > Would it have to be a special router ??
    > >
    > > How am I doing ??
    > >
    > > Thanks,