Help: My ASUS P2-99 won't detect P3 700mhz processor

My P2-99 has had a celeron 500mhz CPU in it forever since I bought it
and worked fine, and according to ASUS's site it should be compatible
with a P3 700mhz cpu. However, I just tried to switch in that P3 700
cpu, and upon startup BIOS only detects it as a "PIII 466mhz"
processor. Why is this?

Asus lists the P2-99 as being compatible with P3 700 slot 1 cpu's, so
why is it only showing up in my BIOS as a 466mhz??? Even my celeron was
always detected correctly as a 500mhz, so why the incorrect detection
of the P3 700?

It says it should be fine since bios 1011, and I'm using BIOS 1013.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

<cenozoite@altern.org> wrote in message
> My P2-99 has had a celeron 500mhz CPU in it forever since I bought it
> and worked fine, and according to ASUS's site it should be compatible
> with a P3 700mhz cpu. However, I just tried to switch in that P3 700
> cpu, and upon startup BIOS only detects it as a "PIII 466mhz"
> processor. Why is this?
>
> Asus lists the P2-99 as being compatible with P3 700 slot 1 cpu's, so
> why is it only showing up in my BIOS as a 466mhz??? Even my celeron was
> always detected correctly as a 500mhz, so why the incorrect detection
> of the P3 700?

Looks like your FSB is only 66, needs to get up to 100 before the 7x
multiplier gives you 700. I think I had your same board but with an compaq
label and they soldered jumpers where one would set the FSB as well as
voltage stuff so I was SOL. Check you jumpers and make sure you are running
100mhz.

> It says it should be fine since bios 1011, and I'm using BIOS 1013.
>
> Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

geoff

Check your front side bus setting and check the specs of the cpu. You can't
buy just any cpu, you have to get one that matches your fsb speed. So,
either you got the wrong cpu or your fsb setting needs to change to match
the cpu you got.

-g

cenozoite@altern.org wrote:
> My P2-99 has had a celeron 500mhz CPU in it forever since I bought it
> and worked fine, and according to ASUS's site it should be compatible
> with a P3 700mhz cpu. However, I just tried to switch in that P3 700
> cpu, and upon startup BIOS only detects it as a "PIII 466mhz"
> processor. Why is this?
>
> Asus lists the P2-99 as being compatible with P3 700 slot 1 cpu's, so
> why is it only showing up in my BIOS as a 466mhz??? Even my celeron
> was always detected correctly as a 500mhz, so why the incorrect
> detection of the P3 700?
>
> It says it should be fine since bios 1011, and I'm using BIOS 1013.
>
> Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Since your jumpers are set for 66MHz FSB (for the Celeron), you're now
effectively underclocking the P3, which should run at 100MHz FSB.

gerry

On 20 Apr 2005 10:03:25 -0700, cenozoite@altern.org wrote:

>My P2-99 has had a celeron 500mhz CPU in it forever since I bought it
>and worked fine, and according to ASUS's site it should be compatible
>with a P3 700mhz cpu. However, I just tried to switch in that P3 700
>cpu, and upon startup BIOS only detects it as a "PIII 466mhz"
>processor. Why is this?
>
>Asus lists the P2-99 as being compatible with P3 700 slot 1 cpu's, so
>why is it only showing up in my BIOS as a 466mhz??? Even my celeron was
>always detected correctly as a 500mhz, so why the incorrect detection
>of the P3 700?
>
>It says it should be fine since bios 1011, and I'm using BIOS 1013.
>
>Please, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Consider replacing the motherboard. If you do some research, you'll
find the extra money you spend will be well justified in benefits.

Thanks for the replies all. Can anyone point me to where I'd find the
jumper on my board, for setting the FSB speed? If it isn't soldered in
place as mentioned, I'll give changing it a try.

Just for the reference of everyone who replied, as well as anyone else
reading this thread in the future, I found the location and settings of
the relevant FSB Speed Jumpers using the P2-99 e-manual available from
www.asus.com

Setting the FSB speed to 100mhZ did the trick, as my P3 700 processor
is now recognized correctly. Apparently the P2-99 board can correctly
accept Pentium 3 Coppermine processors up to 1.0gHZ assuming the right
board revision (1.12 or later) and the right BIOS version (1011 or
1011a or later, I think).

Thanks to all who helped with this, I had never heard of front side bus
speed before and would never have known what to change without
guidance. Much gratitude.