huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Hi,

I have some problem I can't solve: a brandnew K8N motherboard, with
Sempron CPU and 500MB RAM, and a brandnew 300W PSU. At my place, the
onboard powerled burns. When I power-on the system, the CPU-fan runs for
a few seconds, then stops. The PSU connected to an old PentiumIII system
shows no problem: it just boots as it should. I took the K8N and PSU to
the retailer, had it connected just the way I did, and it runs without a
problem.

If anyone has/had a similar experience and solved it, please let me know
(and be so kind to tell me the solution :))

Thank you.

Huub

There is a second power connector on the board that you must plug into
with a special connector from your power supply. It is a square, 4-pin
socket. Only newer power supplies have them. You can buy an adapter
that goes from one of the disk drive connectors to this connector for
around $10. If this message seems new to you, then that's your problem.
I had the same problem until I read the manual.

Arnie

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Huub" <v.niekerk@freeler.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I have some problem I can't solve: a brandnew K8N motherboard, with
> Sempron CPU and 500MB RAM, and a brandnew 300W PSU. At my place, the
> onboard powerled burns. When I power-on the system, the CPU-fan runs for a
> few seconds, then stops. The PSU connected to an old PentiumIII system
> shows no problem: it just boots as it should. I took the K8N and PSU to
> the retailer, had it connected just the way I did, and it runs without a
> problem.
>
> If anyone has/had a similar experience and solved it, please let me know
> (and be so kind to tell me the solution :))
>
> Thank you.

Seems to me like a shortcut when applying the board to you case. Check if
there are screws or spacers that touch the rear of the board. Likely a
spacer that is screwed in the mainboard plate of the case is at a position
where is no hole in the board to put in a screw. If this is the fact you
will shortcut the board. Check carefully. In some trays there is just a
little space between two screw. If you select the wrong one bang.

Frank

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

aberger@u.washington.edu wrote:
> There is a second power connector on the board that you must plug into
> with a special connector from your power supply. It is a square, 4-pin
> socket. Only newer power supplies have them. You can buy an adapter
> that goes from one of the disk drive connectors to this connector for
> around $10. If this message seems new to you, then that's your problem.
> I had the same problem until I read the manual.
>
> Arnie

Alas, all necessary power connectors have been plugged. The square plug
indeed was the case the very first time.

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

> Seems to me like a shortcut when applying the board to you case. Check if
> there are screws or spacers that touch the rear of the board. Likely a
> spacer that is screwed in the mainboard plate of the case is at a position
> where is no hole in the board to put in a screw. If this is the fact you
> will shortcut the board. Check carefully. In some trays there is just a
> little space between two screw. If you select the wrong one bang.
>
> Frank

To add to this: I connected the 350W PSU from another system to the K8N
and that boots the K8N as it should. So why doesn't the 300W PSU do that
while it should? Now I intend to switch the PSU's within a few days.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

I had a similar issue years ago with a 486... long story. The mains voltage
at home was marginally lower, the PSU was struggling with the lower voltage
and havoc resulted.

"Huub" <v.niekerk@freeler.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have some problem I can't solve: a brandnew K8N motherboard, with
> Sempron CPU and 500MB RAM, and a brandnew 300W PSU. At my place, the
> onboard powerled burns. When I power-on the system, the CPU-fan runs for a
> few seconds, then stops. The PSU connected to an old PentiumIII system
> shows no problem: it just boots as it should. I took the K8N and PSU to
> the retailer, had it connected just the way I did, and it runs without a
> problem.
>
> If anyone has/had a similar experience and solved it, please let me know
> (and be so kind to tell me the solution :))
>
> Thank you.
>
> Huub

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Mercury wrote:
> I had a similar issue years ago with a 486... long story. The mains voltage
> at home was marginally lower, the PSU was struggling with the lower voltage
> and havoc resulted.
>

> "Huub" <v.niekerk@freeler.nl> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have some problem I can't solve: a brandnew K8N motherboard, with
>>Sempron CPU and 500MB RAM, and a brandnew 300W PSU. At my place, the
>>onboard powerled burns. When I power-on the system, the CPU-fan runs for a
>>few seconds, then stops. The PSU connected to an old PentiumIII system
>>shows no problem: it just boots as it should. I took the K8N and PSU to
>>the retailer, had it connected just the way I did, and it runs without a
>>problem.
>>
>>If anyone has/had a similar experience and solved it, please let me know
>>(and be so kind to tell me the solution :))
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Huub

Thank for your answer.