HD Operating Temp: Worthwhile reducing below 34-35 degrees..

Seagate specifies an ambient temp between zero and sixty and an MTBF ot 600,000
hours at 25 degrees centigrade.

When I rough that number, I get an expected life of over 60 years.
(600,000/9,000 hours/year = 200/3 = 60+)

I'm running 30-35 depending on the day and would be more than happy to get five
years out of a drive.

Is the increased temp/decreased life relationship strong enough to make it
worthwhile trying to reduce that 30-35 degrees?

--
PeteCresswell
2 answers Last reply

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in message
    > Seagate specifies an ambient temp between zero and sixty and an MTBF ot
    > 600,000
    > hours at 25 degrees centigrade.
    >
    > When I rough that number, I get an expected life of over 60 years.
    > (600,000/9,000 hours/year = 200/3 = 60+)
    >
    > I'm running 30-35 depending on the day and would be more than happy to get
    > five
    > years out of a drive.
    >
    > Is the increased temp/decreased life relationship strong enough to make it
    > worthwhile trying to reduce that 30-35 degrees?

    A few years ago I 'looked this up' for a drive that failed, but
    which I knew was getting bad airflow. The failure rate vs.
    operating temp. graph was not anywhere near linear, and
    suddenly got a bit 'steep' when within (5-10?)C near the
    100% failure rate at 55C (which is what really worried me..)
    HTH,
    --
    Rob

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:45:58 -0700, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
    wrote:

    > Seagate specifies an ambient temp between zero and sixty and an
    > MTBF ot 600,000 hours at 25 degrees centigrade.
    >
    > When I rough that number, I get an expected life of over 60 years.
    > (600,000/9,000 hours/year = 200/3 = 60+)
    >
    > I'm running 30-35 depending on the day and would be more than happy
    > to get five years out of a drive.
    >
    > Is the increased temp/decreased life relationship strong enough
    > to make it worthwhile trying to reduce that 30-35 degrees?

    Increasing temp 10°C would normally reduce lifespan to half.

Asus HD Motherboards