Any ideas on where I could get a bare cable USB to IDE, for use with a Molex
power connector on an internal USB hard drive? I can get a set with a power
supply but it is very expensive, and all I need is the cable. Any help
gratefully received.
David Kelsey

try www.cyberguys.com

"David Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Any ideas on where I could get a bare cable USB to IDE,
for use with a Molex
| power connector on an internal USB hard drive? I can get
a set with a power
| supply but it is very expensive, and all I need is the
cable. Any help
| gratefully received.
| David Kelsey

Thanks Jim - they have one, but it is $58.95 including power supply! I was
trying to save money on the one from e-Bay at £6.99, also with power supply.
Ok, so I'm a cheapskate. I was just a bit worried about buying from Hong
Kong is all. But thanks again for your help - cyberguys have some
interesting stuff anyway.

David

Jim Macklin wrote:
> try www.cyberguys.com
>

> "David Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Any ideas on where I could get a bare cable USB to IDE, for use with
>> a Molex power connector on an internal USB hard drive? I can get a
>> set with a power supply but it is very expensive, and all I need is
>> the cable. Any help gratefully received.
>> David Kelsey

Buying stuff from Hong Kong is perfectly fine. I buy quite a few things
from over there. It just costs a little bit on shipping, but many of
their prices are lower (maybe stolen goods or just they get it for
really cheap). Either way, you save a little bit and they make a little
bit. As long as everyone is happy and no one gets hurt, it's all good :)

----
Nathan McNulty

David Kelsey wrote:
> Thanks Jim - they have one, but it is $58.95 including power supply! I was
> trying to save money on the one from e-Bay at £6.99, also with power supply.
> Ok, so I'm a cheapskate. I was just a bit worried about buying from Hong
> Kong is all. But thanks again for your help - cyberguys have some
> interesting stuff anyway.
>
> David
>
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>
>>try www.cyberguys.com
>>

>>"David Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Any ideas on where I could get a bare cable USB to IDE, for use with
>>>a Molex power connector on an internal USB hard drive? I can get a
>>>set with a power supply but it is very expensive, and all I need is
>>>the cable. Any help gratefully received.
>>>David Kelsey

Hi Nathan

On your advice, I bought an IDE to USB cable from Hong Kong, and it arrived
three days after despatch! Overall cost inc. postage was around £13. Only
one snag - I haven't got XP to recognise the new mass storage device yet.

David

Nathan McNulty wrote:
> Buying stuff from Hong Kong is perfectly fine. I buy quite a few
> things from over there. It just costs a little bit on shipping, but
> many of their prices are lower (maybe stolen goods or just they get
> it for really cheap). Either way, you save a little bit and they
> make a little bit. As long as everyone is happy and no one gets
> hurt, it's all good :)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> David Kelsey wrote:
>> Thanks Jim - they have one, but it is $58.95 including power supply!
>> I was trying to save money on the one from e-Bay at £6.99, also with
>> power supply. Ok, so I'm a cheapskate. I was just a bit worried
>> about buying from Hong Kong is all. But thanks again for your help -
>> cyberguys have some interesting stuff anyway.
>>
>> David
>>
>> Jim Macklin wrote:
>>
>>> try www.cyberguys.com
>>>

>>> "David Kelsey" <david_kelseyNO@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Nathan - further to my last, I have now got it to work, by the simple
expedient of plugging the IDE cable in the right place. I claim the notch
should have prevented it going in wrong, but it didn't. My fault entirely!

David

David Kelsey wrote:
> Hi Nathan
>
> On your advice, I bought an IDE to USB cable from Hong Kong, and it
> arrived three days after despatch! Overall cost inc. postage was
> around £13. Only one snag - I haven't got XP to recognise the new
> mass storage device yet.
>
> David
>
> Nathan McNulty wrote:
>> Buying stuff from Hong Kong is perfectly fine. I buy quite a few
>> things from over there. It just costs a little bit on shipping, but
>> many of their prices are lower (maybe stolen goods or just they get
>> it for really cheap). Either way, you save a little bit and they
>> make a little bit. As long as everyone is happy and no one gets
>> hurt, it's all good :)
>>
>> ----
>> Nathan McNulty
>>

>> David Kelsey wrote:
>>> Thanks Jim - they have one, but it is $58.95 including power supply!
>>> I was trying to save money on the one from e-Bay at £6.99, also with
>>> power supply. Ok, so I'm a cheapskate. I was just a bit worried
>>> about buying from Hong Kong is all. But thanks again for your help
>>> - cyberguys have some interesting stuff anyway.
>>>
>>> David

That is great to hear it works :)

Some hardware have difficulties with certain convertors (and this
doesn't quite fall into that catagory, but comes close). I am glad you
didn't have any problems with the new cable.

----
Nathan McNulty