P4P800 Deluxe & Wake on USB

Is there a way to wake upthe system with an USB device.
I've got the sconi which can control the PC wit a remote.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 deluxe wake

    In article <d48t32$1f4$1@online.de>, "Dirk Pajonk"
    <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote:

    > Is there a way to wake upthe system with an USB device.
    > I've got the sconi which can control the PC wit a remote.
    >
    > Thanks

    This page mentions that there can be some settings in the
    Device Manager, that might control waking from a USB Device.

    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

    At the hardware level, an essential ingredient needed to make
    this work, is the setting of the USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, and
    USBPW78 headers on the motherboard. For the USB port where your
    USB device is connected, the voltage should be set to "+5VSB".
    By using +5VSB, the external USB device gets a source of power,
    even when the computer is sleeping. That source of power is
    necessary for the external USB device to wake up the rest of
    the computer.

    So, investigate how your USBPWxx power header is set. Then,
    have a look around the Device Manager, and see if there is
    an option to wake up a USB port.

    I checked the Intel ICH5 datasheet, and in section 5.19.7
    PDF page 212, it mentions a hypothetical "fax-modem" waking
    the computer. So, the ICH5 appears to have taken into
    consideration, waking from USB. (This file is a 7MB download).

    http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/252516.htm

    I hope you have been reading about the "latchup failure" of
    the ICH5 USB ports. I recommend against hot plugging USB
    devices into P4P800/P4C800 motherboards with the ICH5 or ICH5R
    Southbridge chips on them. As a workaround to this issue with
    the Intel chipset, I recommend using a separate USB 2.0 PCI
    card, to use with your USB device. A separate USB card will
    reduce the risk of the destruction of the motherboard (which
    can be repaired under warranty, but would take several weeks to
    get a replacement motherboard.) The exposure is explained here,
    in this link found by John S. :

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm

    Of course, if you use a separate USB card, then you will likely
    need to enable this setting. The USB card would need to support
    a standby powering option, for this to work. I don't know what
    the correct terminology would be, in an advertisement for a
    PCI card, for that feature to work (maybe "PCI-Bus Power
    Management Interface specification" ? or PCI 2.2 revision,
    as PME# and 3.3Vaux were added for waking functions ?).

    "Power On By PCI Devices" [Enabled]

    Good luck,
    Paul

    At first. thank you very much.
    I'll give your tips a try.
    I'll come back!
    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article <d48t32$1f4$1@online.de>, "Dirk Pajonk"
    > <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to wake upthe system with an USB device.
    >> I've got the sconi which can control the PC wit a remote.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > This page mentions that there can be some settings in the
    > Device Manager, that might control waking from a USB Device.
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    >
    > At the hardware level, an essential ingredient needed to make
    > this work, is the setting of the USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, and
    > USBPW78 headers on the motherboard. For the USB port where your
    > USB device is connected, the voltage should be set to "+5VSB".
    > By using +5VSB, the external USB device gets a source of power,
    > even when the computer is sleeping. That source of power is
    > necessary for the external USB device to wake up the rest of
    > the computer.
    >
    > So, investigate how your USBPWxx power header is set. Then,
    > have a look around the Device Manager, and see if there is
    > an option to wake up a USB port.
    >
    > I checked the Intel ICH5 datasheet, and in section 5.19.7
    > PDF page 212, it mentions a hypothetical "fax-modem" waking
    > the computer. So, the ICH5 appears to have taken into
    > consideration, waking from USB. (This file is a 7MB download).
    >
    > http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/252516.htm
    >
    > I hope you have been reading about the "latchup failure" of
    > the ICH5 USB ports. I recommend against hot plugging USB
    > devices into P4P800/P4C800 motherboards with the ICH5 or ICH5R
    > Southbridge chips on them. As a workaround to this issue with
    > the Intel chipset, I recommend using a separate USB 2.0 PCI
    > card, to use with your USB device. A separate USB card will
    > reduce the risk of the destruction of the motherboard (which
    > can be repaired under warranty, but would take several weeks to
    > get a replacement motherboard.) The exposure is explained here,
    > in this link found by John S. :
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm
    >
    > Of course, if you use a separate USB card, then you will likely
    > need to enable this setting. The USB card would need to support
    > a standby powering option, for this to work. I don't know what
    > the correct terminology would be, in an advertisement for a
    > PCI card, for that feature to work (maybe "PCI-Bus Power
    > Management Interface specification" ? or PCI 2.2 revision,
    > as PME# and 3.3Vaux were added for waking functions ?).
    >
    > "Power On By PCI Devices" [Enabled]
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Paul

    Wow,
    #
    you're great it has worked for me :-).
    The main setting was the +5VSB
    for the USB Connectors!
    Thanks again!
    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article <d48t32$1f4$1@online.de>, "Dirk Pajonk"
    > <nomorespam@onlinehome.de> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to wake upthe system with an USB device.
    >> I've got the sconi which can control the PC wit a remote.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > This page mentions that there can be some settings in the
    > Device Manager, that might control waking from a USB Device.
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    >
    > At the hardware level, an essential ingredient needed to make
    > this work, is the setting of the USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, and
    > USBPW78 headers on the motherboard. For the USB port where your
    > USB device is connected, the voltage should be set to "+5VSB".
    > By using +5VSB, the external USB device gets a source of power,
    > even when the computer is sleeping. That source of power is
    > necessary for the external USB device to wake up the rest of
    > the computer.
    >
    > So, investigate how your USBPWxx power header is set. Then,
    > have a look around the Device Manager, and see if there is
    > an option to wake up a USB port.
    >
    > I checked the Intel ICH5 datasheet, and in section 5.19.7
    > PDF page 212, it mentions a hypothetical "fax-modem" waking
    > the computer. So, the ICH5 appears to have taken into
    > consideration, waking from USB. (This file is a 7MB download).
    >
    > http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/252516.htm
    >
    > I hope you have been reading about the "latchup failure" of
    > the ICH5 USB ports. I recommend against hot plugging USB
    > devices into P4P800/P4C800 motherboards with the ICH5 or ICH5R
    > Southbridge chips on them. As a workaround to this issue with
    > the Intel chipset, I recommend using a separate USB 2.0 PCI
    > card, to use with your USB device. A separate USB card will
    > reduce the risk of the destruction of the motherboard (which
    > can be repaired under warranty, but would take several weeks to
    > get a replacement motherboard.) The exposure is explained here,
    > in this link found by John S. :
    >
    > http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm
    >
    > Of course, if you use a separate USB card, then you will likely
    > need to enable this setting. The USB card would need to support
    > a standby powering option, for this to work. I don't know what
    > the correct terminology would be, in an advertisement for a
    > PCI card, for that feature to work (maybe "PCI-Bus Power
    > Management Interface specification" ? or PCI 2.2 revision,
    > as PME# and 3.3Vaux were added for waking functions ?).
    >
    > "Power On By PCI Devices" [Enabled]
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Paul

Asus USB Devices Motherboards