Bluetooth GPS with RDS receiver

June 26, 2004 9:02:07 PM

I'm looking to buy a GPS receiver, so that I can use my PocketPC for
navigation. I was thinking of a model that supports Bluetooth, to
reduce cable clutter. On the other hand I've just read that there are
models emerging that support RDS traffic information in Europe, which
will calculate routes around traffic jams as soon as they are announced.
Does anyone know of a model that has both RDS and Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 10:56:32 PM

"SyntaX TerroR" <syntaxterror@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy a GPS receiver, so that I can use my PocketPC for
> navigation. I was thinking of a model that supports Bluetooth, to
> reduce cable clutter. On the other hand I've just read that there are
> models emerging that support RDS traffic information in Europe, which
> will calculate routes around traffic jams as soon as they are announced.
> Does anyone know of a model that has both RDS and Bluetooth?

This isn't possible. RDS traffic info means that your car stereo will stop
playing whatever (other radio station, cassette, CD) and cut in with audible
traffic. This is not a data service.

The closest you can get is Tom Tom 3 with the new traffic plugin which
automatically changes the route it gives to avoind traffic.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:51:41 PM

In article <2k5rm8F15iumhU1@uni-berlin.de>,
randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com says...
<snip>

> This isn't possible. RDS traffic info means that your car stereo will stop
> playing whatever (other radio station, cassette, CD) and cut in with audible
> traffic. This is not a data service.
>
> The closest you can get is Tom Tom 3 with the new traffic plugin which
> automatically changes the route it gives to avoind traffic.

Actually it is possible.

From the Alturion website:

<quote>
TMC/RDS receiver

The TMC/RDS receiver is a high quality GPS receiver that receives not
only GPS signals but also TMC/RDS signals. These signals can be used by
Alturion=3F GPS Professional to inform you about the traffic situation and
reroute you because of this information.
<end quote>

The way I understand this, the RDS signal must have a data layer also,
which sends you the coordinates of the trafic jams so you can avoid
them.

So I'm looking for exactly that, but in a package that also has
Bluetooth support.
June 27, 2004 9:49:20 PM

SyntaX TerroR wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a GPS receiver, so that I can use my PocketPC for
> navigation. I was thinking of a model that supports Bluetooth, to
> reduce cable clutter. On the other hand I've just read that there are
> models emerging that support RDS traffic information in Europe, which
> will calculate routes around traffic jams as soon as they are
> announced. Does anyone know of a model that has both RDS and
> Bluetooth?
>
> Thanks in advance!

RDS is a service that switches your car radio to a traffic bulletin. What
you are after is TMC (Traffic Message Channel).

Navigon Mobile Navigator 4 has a GPS Solution that is upgradeable to both
Bluetooth and TMC. TomTom Navigator 3 has a TMC service but requires a
GPRS connection to receive the data via susbcription.

www.navigon.de
www.tomtom.com

--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com

> Actually it is possible.
>
> From the Alturion website:
>
> <quote>
> TMC/RDS receiver
>
> The TMC/RDS receiver is a high quality GPS receiver that receives not
> only GPS signals but also TMC/RDS signals. These signals can be used by
> Alturion=3F GPS Professional to inform you about the traffic situation and
> reroute you because of this information.
> <end quote>
>
> The way I understand this, the RDS signal must have a data layer also,
> which sends you the coordinates of the trafic jams so you can avoid
> them.
>
> So I'm looking for exactly that, but in a package that also has
> Bluetooth support.

It looks like that's the only company where you'll get that sort of
technology then, looks interesting and I guess it will make them lots of
money and they'll have a nice high selling price.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 10:23:22 PM

Hav e you looked at Navigon? www.navigon.com

--