Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 28, 2005 2:31:08 AM

I recently acquired a laptop and I'm a novice. If I go to a hotel that
offers"wireless internet" what would I need to do so that my laptop will
recognize the hotel's router? I do have a wireless card in the laptop and
I'm connected to my own router here.

More about : wireless question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 28, 2005 7:42:59 AM

just setup a new profile in your wireless connections when at the hotel.

"MarianH" <MarianH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently acquired a laptop and I'm a novice. If I go to a hotel that
> offers"wireless internet" what would I need to do so that my laptop will
> recognize the hotel's router? I do have a wireless card in the laptop
> and
> I'm connected to my own router here.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 28, 2005 11:17:01 AM

Like I said, I'm a novice. I need a little more information on how to do
that.

Thanks!

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> just setup a new profile in your wireless connections when at the hotel.
>
> "MarianH" <MarianH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently acquired a laptop and I'm a novice. If I go to a hotel that
> > offers"wireless internet" what would I need to do so that my laptop will
> > recognize the hotel's router? I do have a wireless card in the laptop
> > and
> > I'm connected to my own router here.

Related resources
January 28, 2005 12:53:19 PM

MarianH wrote:

> Like I said, I'm a novice. I need a little more information on how
> to do that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> just setup a new profile in your wireless connections when at the
>> hotel.
>>
>> "MarianH" <MarianH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently acquired a laptop and I'm a novice. If I go to a hotel
>> >that
>> > offers"wireless internet" what would I need to do so that my
>> > laptop will
>> > recognize the hotel's router? I do have a wireless card in the
>> > laptop and
>> > I'm connected to my own router here.

It will really depend on how the hotel has configured their service.
Usually you have your computer set to get its IP address automatically.
Then it will pick up various available wireless networks. If you want
to connect to one, you can connect or enter the key if it is a secure
network. Most hotels charge a per-day fee for Internet access and after
you pay you'll get the key to enter. You'll enter the key and click
connect and you'll get Internet access. The hotel will help you get set
up if you need more help (but you probably won't - this is easy).

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi

When it comes to Wireless Clients there are two methods that can be used to
configure the system.

One: Use Original manufacturer software.

Two: Use Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC).

Each one of the method might have its advantages and disadvanges.

For general use out side your own system the WZC is the best choice.

Windows XP Wireless Auto Configuration -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

If you do use WZC and it does detect the Wireless connection then (as
mentioned above) you need to ask for the connection parameters.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"MarianH" <MarianH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently acquired a laptop and I'm a novice. If I go to a hotel that
> offers"wireless internet" what would I need to do so that my laptop will
> recognize the hotel's router? I do have a wireless card in the laptop
and
> I'm connected to my own router here.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 29, 2005 8:58:02 AM

Usually, detailed instructions can be found at reception.
If they don't make sense and you're a novice, you need to ask someone to help.
--PA

!