Slow start-up with XP

Our computer takes about 8 to 10 min.to load from the
time we hit the power button to the time we see the desk
top. We have a Dell 4100 with XP home. The Dell screen
comes on for about 1 min. then the Windows XP screen
comes on. The bar starts to move and it will move and
then pause for a few seconds then start moving again. I
tryied to disable the start-up items but it did not do
any good. I checked for a virus with the system restore
off and in the safe mode that did not work. What next?
Thanks, Skip P.

Have you recently installed any new programs or drivers?

No we did not. I tryed to reinstall Windows XP with a
clean start this did not help.

HAVE YOU LOOKED IN MSCONFIG UNDER THE STARTUP TAB AND TAKE
THE CHECK OUT OF ALL EXECPT WHERE IS SAYING SYSTEM32 AND
GIVE IT A TRY

GALOOT

Skip

No I did not add any programs that I no about it is the
kids computer. I reinstalled Windows XP and that did not
help. I did a clean install.

Skip

Yes I took out all of them. I also took out the plug &
play and the windows image acq.

Len

I hate to say it but if your system takes 1min to leave the OEM splash
screen that in its self does not sound good! XP is not even in the picture
at that point but rather sounds like a HW issue that is "passed on" to XP
once the system works its way through POST.

Two things you might check/do: Look over your Event Viewer entries and see
if there are any useful hints there or if you can locate it on the web there
is a MS program called BootVis. This program is no longer supported by MS
but does trace the startup sequence and determins what is going on during
boot once the OS is called by the system. It will show the delays but will
probably not be able to "fix" them.

Off the top of my head (in other words a guess) it sounds like a HW device
is not functioning properly or is very slow to come up. This may be a drive
that is very slow to spin up or some other device causing this delay. You
might try disconnecting everything except the CPU/RAM/Video and see if you
still have a delay in posting. If not then begin to reconnect things until
you get the delay on the splash screen. When that happens you have probably
found your culprit.

One other thought that comes to mind is a weak power supply. Once up and
running try getting a copy of Mother Board Monitor (Free) and checking to
see if the voltages are up to speck.

No real answers here but at least somethings to think about! Good Luck,
Len