A7N8X-E Deluxe video corruption during POST

I've recently installed an A7N8X-E Deluxe, replacing my Soyo board. The 3-4
year old 32MB Radeon AIW video card was functioning perfectly in the old
motherboard. After installing it in the new MB, the POST graphic is
distorted (part of the graphic overlays on itself) and when I boot into
Windows I occasionally see 'sparkling' in black areas of the screen. Also,
the graphics performance is sub-par in that the dxdiag tests for direct3d
are a little jumpy and unclear.

I place a 64MB Sapphire Radeon card in the machine and all is well.

I realize that there could be comething wrong with my main video card, but
am hoping there is a frequency/voltage thing I can cahnge to remedy the
situation.

I appreciate input,
--R

Is the fan still functioning on the card? Sounds like a heat problem...

"John Smith" <email@address.com> wrote in message
> I've recently installed an A7N8X-E Deluxe, replacing my Soyo board. The
3-4
> year old 32MB Radeon AIW video card was functioning perfectly in the old
> motherboard. After installing it in the new MB, the POST graphic is
> distorted (part of the graphic overlays on itself) and when I boot into
> Windows I occasionally see 'sparkling' in black areas of the screen.
Also,
> the graphics performance is sub-par in that the dxdiag tests for direct3d
> are a little jumpy and unclear.
>
> I place a 64MB Sapphire Radeon card in the machine and all is well.
>
> I realize that there could be comething wrong with my main video card, but
> am hoping there is a frequency/voltage thing I can cahnge to remedy the
> situation.
>
> I appreciate input,
> --R

Paul

Splendid

In article <9w_9e.6957$r53.297@attbi_s21>, "John Smith"
<email@address.com> wrote:

> I've recently installed an A7N8X-E Deluxe, replacing my Soyo board. The 3-4
> year old 32MB Radeon AIW video card was functioning perfectly in the old
> motherboard. After installing it in the new MB, the POST graphic is
> distorted (part of the graphic overlays on itself) and when I boot into
> Windows I occasionally see 'sparkling' in black areas of the screen. Also,
> the graphics performance is sub-par in that the dxdiag tests for direct3d
> are a little jumpy and unclear.
>
> I place a 64MB Sapphire Radeon card in the machine and all is well.
>
> I realize that there could be comething wrong with my main video card, but
> am hoping there is a frequency/voltage thing I can cahnge to remedy the
> situation.
>
> I appreciate input,
> --R

Are any of your power supply voltages reading low while
the AIW video card is in place ? A power problem doesn't
explain the POST graphic (probably mixed up VESA modes),
but maybe powering is related to the sparkling problem.
If the 3.3V is out of spec (lower than 3.1V), that could
be a problem.

You could try adjusting "AGP VDDQ Voltage" from 1.5V
to 1.6V, to see if a little more voltage there would
help. I haven't seen that help too much for most people,
and hardly ever recommend adjusting the AGP voltage
any more to people. Maybe worth a try, just for the hell
of it.

There are also a couple of other AGP settings in the BIOS,
but with the ATI video card drivers these days, I don't
know if using the BIOS controls really has any effect on
the final operation of the system or not. With the
ATI SmartGART code choosing the AGP 8X / Fast Write
settings for you, it could be that the BIOS controls don't
affect what happens in Windows. Perhaps a copy of Powerstrip
from entechtaiwan.com, can independently verify the settings
being used by the hardware - Powerstrip should show up in
your task bar, and the Options menu popup will give you a
screen showing the current hardware settings. I only use
Powerstrip for verifying settings, choosing to fix any
hardware settings problems at the source if possible. That
way, I can uninstall Powerstrip when I am finished.

Paul

The fan is functioning, but I have to admit that the card seems pretty warm
(okay, hot). I added a case fan to see if it would help, but to no avail.
Thanks for trying,
--R

"FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message
> Is the fan still functioning on the card? Sounds like a heat problem...
>

> "John Smith" <email@address.com> wrote in message
> > I've recently installed an A7N8X-E Deluxe, replacing my Soyo board. The
> 3-4
> > year old 32MB Radeon AIW video card was functioning perfectly in the old
> > motherboard. After installing it in the new MB, the POST graphic is
> > distorted (part of the graphic overlays on itself) and when I boot into
> > Windows I occasionally see 'sparkling' in black areas of the screen.
> Also,
> > the graphics performance is sub-par in that the dxdiag tests for
direct3d
> > are a little jumpy and unclear.
> >
> > I place a 64MB Sapphire Radeon card in the machine and all is well.
> >
> > I realize that there could be comething wrong with my main video card,
but
> > am hoping there is a frequency/voltage thing I can cahnge to remedy the
> > situation.
> >
> > I appreciate input,
> > --R

P,
I spoke to the ASUS tech support last evening. They indicated that it was
most likely due the the original RADEON's attempted support for AGP 1 that
is causing the problem.

I checked voltages, etc. that you suggested but all seemed fine. Even tried
a third PS to make sure. At this point I've resigned myself to using an
A7V8X-X Deluxe. The AIW RADEON works really well in this machine and it
seems almost fast enough.

I may swap out for an alternate 400FSB/3200 capable board. Just don't know.

Thans for the input, though.

--R