Cpu Fan Noise P5P800

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Any suggestions on a moderately priced cpu cooling fan to cut the noise
level on my P5P800 system with a 3.2GHz P4 540J Prescott. It's ok until I
run something like Shrink which pushes the cpu to 100% for an extended
period of time. The CPU stays cool but it sounds like the case is getting
ready for take off. I have done a little research on non-Intel fans and
they don't seem to mention the variable fan speed that I currently get when
the cpu goes under a load. Is this an ASUS thing and will I get the same
feature with another hopefully quieter cooling system?

A month ago we put together a P5AD2E system which uses a prescott CPU. Under
normal conditions, the noise isn't too bad, but when the kids are playing
some games, and on warm days the damn thing screams. It not only screams,
but it vibrates. I just ordered a Swiftech MCX 775V which had great reviews
concerning quietness. The unit comes without a fan so I ordered low speed
and medium speed Panaflo fans to try and get the best temp/noise ratio.
We'll see

Ken wrote:
> Any suggestions on a moderately priced cpu cooling fan to cut the noise
> level on my P5P800 system with a 3.2GHz P4 540J Prescott. It's ok until I
> run something like Shrink which pushes the cpu to 100% for an extended
> period of time. The CPU stays cool but it sounds like the case is getting
> ready for take off. I have done a little research on non-Intel fans and
> they don't seem to mention the variable fan speed that I currently get when
> the cpu goes under a load. Is this an ASUS thing and will I get the same
> feature with another hopefully quieter cooling system?

I'm using the Thermaltake Jungle with a 3.4 GHz Prescott on this board.
I never really hear the noise from the fan even at full load. Make
sure that you have sufficient airflow around the heatsink as that caused
me problems with my old case.