Unknown NIC

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me what NIC is onboard the K8N? Running Slack
10.0, it doesn't recognize the NIC.

Thanks,

Huub

asus.com will tell you

"Huub" <v.niekerk@freeler.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody please tell me what NIC is onboard the K8N? Running Slack
> 10.0, it doesn't recognize the NIC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huub

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Ginchy wrote:
> asus.com will tell you

Yes, it tells me "chipset built-in MAC with external PHY 10/100 Mbps
Ethernet", which doesn't say anything to me. What brand and type of
chipset? PHY doesn't say anything specific.

bill

In article <42691748$0$774$3a628fcd@reader10.nntp.hccnet.nl>,
v.niekerk@freeler.nl says...
> Ginchy wrote:
> > asus.com will tell you
> >

> Yes, it tells me "chipset built-in MAC with external PHY 10/100 Mbps
> Ethernet", which doesn't say anything to me. What brand and type of
> chipset? PHY doesn't say anything specific.

The manual says it's an " Ic Plus IP101 10/100 Lan PHY ".

Bill

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

dino wrote:
> if you read in the manual it says it is IC Plus IP101 10/100 LAN PHY

It's an nForce nvnet NIC. All set now.

Huub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody please tell me what NIC is onboard the K8N? Running Slack
> 10.0, it doesn't recognize the NIC.

try

lspci -v

Ben

Huub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can somebody please tell me what NIC is onboard the K8N? Running Slack
> 10.0, it doesn't recognize the NIC.

Actually, if it's the nVidia you're after:

modprobe forcedeth

If that fails, you'll need to either build it in the kernel or as a
module. (nForce reverse engineered).

Ben

Huub wrote:
> dino wrote:
>
>> if you read in the manual it says it is IC Plus IP101 10/100 LAN PHY
>>

> It's an nForce nvnet NIC. All set now.

Did you get my 2 previous posts?

Anyway, not sure whjy everybody is telling you what the physical layer
chip is, completely useless.

Anyway:
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N-E%20Deluxe&langs=09

"Chipset NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb"
"Gigabit LAN - Chipset built-in Gigabit MAC"

Ben

bill

In article <1114293361.2216eea2f10bcd6b608aaf8d792051f6@teranews>,
benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com says...
> Huub wrote:
> > dino wrote:
> >
> >> if you read in the manual it says it is IC Plus IP101 10/100 LAN PHY
> >>

> > It's an nForce nvnet NIC. All set now.
>
> Did you get my 2 previous posts?
>
> Anyway, not sure whjy everybody is telling you what the physical layer
> chip is, completely useless.
>
> Anyway:
> http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N-E%20Deluxe&langs=09
>
> "Chipset NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb"
> "Gigabit LAN - Chipset built-in Gigabit MAC"
>
> Ben

I thought the OP had a K8N, not a K8N-E Deluxe.

Bill

huub

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Ben Pope wrote:
> Huub wrote:
>
>> dino wrote:
>>
>>> if you read in the manual it says it is IC Plus IP101 10/100 LAN PHY
>>>

>> It's an nForce nvnet NIC. All set now.
>

> Did you get my 2 previous posts?
>
> Anyway, not sure whjy everybody is telling you what the physical layer
> chip is, completely useless.
>
> Anyway:
> http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N-E%20Deluxe&langs=09
>
> "Chipset NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb"
> "Gigabit LAN - Chipset built-in Gigabit MAC"
>
> Ben
Yes, but I have a K8N, 100Mbit NIC. The "nForce"-LAN was not mentioned
in the specs.

Huub wrote:
> Yes, but I have a K8N, 100Mbit NIC. The "nForce"-LAN was not mentioned
> in the specs.

My bad.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N&langs=09
"Chipset NVIDIA nForce3 250"