DVD Drives- ICONS MISSING

Hey, both my DVD drives are not working and I don't know what to do. It
appears fine in the Device Manager but the icons are not there along side the
3 1/2 Floppy Disk. Anybody got any suggestions?

One is a DVD Re-writer and the other is a DVD-ROM.
6 answers Last reply
More about drives icons missing

    I'm going to assume these drives have functioned together
    in the past. If one or both is newly installed, check the
    jumpering.

    Otherwise, this sounds like a driver problem. I saw a
    similar issue once after installing EasyCD Creator 6: it
    apparently conflicted with other CD Writing software
    (Nero) and caused my DVD-RW drive to disappear from My
    Computer. Uninstalling Easy CD Creator fixed the issue.

    Have you installed any new software or drivers recently?

    If not, you should consider reinstalling your cd-rom
    drivers and/or cd burning software. That's not a
    guaranteed fix, but it can't hurt anything and it's worth
    a try.

    Also, you can try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Snufkin wrote:
    > I'm going to assume these drives have functioned together
    > in the past. If one or both is newly installed, check the
    > jumpering.
    >
    > Otherwise, this sounds like a driver problem. I saw a
    > similar issue once after installing EasyCD Creator 6: it
    > apparently conflicted with other CD Writing software
    > (Nero) and caused my DVD-RW drive to disappear from My
    > Computer. Uninstalling Easy CD Creator fixed the issue.
    >
    > Have you installed any new software or drivers recently?
    >
    > If not, you should consider reinstalling your cd-rom
    > drivers and/or cd burning software. That's not a
    > guaranteed fix, but it can't hurt anything and it's worth
    > a try.

    I'm having the same problem. Both my DVD drive and CD-RW
    drive which came with my computer are no longer seen in
    Windows Explorer and Device Manager. The Device Manager
    Category for DVD/CD drive is not even listed anymore. I
    don't know when it started happening but all I'm doing to
    this computer is update it. I have not been installing
    anything in this PC. At one time the DVD drive was being
    displayed again in Windows Explorer. But when I rebooted,
    it was gone again. These optical drives are playing hide
    and seek with me. Are there any Registry keys we can
    check to see if the values are right?

    us;320553

    >----
    >Nathan McNulty
    >

    >Snufkin wrote:
    >> I'm going to assume these drives have functioned
    together
    >> in the past. If one or both is newly installed, check
    the
    >> jumpering.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, this sounds like a driver problem. I saw a
    >> similar issue once after installing EasyCD Creator 6:
    it
    >> apparently conflicted with other CD Writing software
    >> (Nero) and caused my DVD-RW drive to disappear from My
    >> Computer. Uninstalling Easy CD Creator fixed the issue.
    >>
    >> Have you installed any new software or drivers
    recently?

    >> If not, you should consider reinstalling your cd-rom
    >> drivers and/or cd burning software. That's not a
    >> guaranteed fix, but it can't hurt anything and it's
    worth
    >> a try.

    Firstly I would just like to thank-you Mr McNulty and Mr Snufkin for
    providing their information. I combined it together to come to a solution to
    my problem.

    In regards to your problem Mr/Mrs Anonymous here is what to do:

    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
    Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the
    Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

    Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
    Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the
    Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > I'm having the same problem. Both my DVD drive and CD-RW
    > drive which came with my computer are no longer seen in
    > Windows Explorer and Device Manager. The Device Manager
    > Category for DVD/CD drive is not even listed anymore. I
    > don't know when it started happening but all I'm doing to
    > this computer is update it. I have not been installing
    > anything in this PC. At one time the DVD drive was being
    > displayed again in Windows Explorer. But when I rebooted,
    > it was gone again. These optical drives are playing hide
    > and seek with me. Are there any Registry keys we can
    > check to see if the values are right?

    HemalLad how did you fix your problem? Thanks for your
    suggestion on how to fix my missing DVD/CDrom icons in
    Device Manager/Windows Explorer. Just wondering what is
    Method 2 since it applies to me (I have a missing
    UpperFilters data type).

    Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. You
    don't know how it help all of us.

    ---------------------------------------
    >In regards to your problem Mr/Mrs Anonymous here is what
    to do:

    >WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may
    cause serious
    >problems that may require you to reinstall your
    operating system. Microsoft
    >cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result
    from using Registry
    >Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    >
    >Click Start, and then click Run.
    >In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    >Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class
    /{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

    >On the File menu, click Export.
    >In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
    >Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then
    click Delete on the
    >Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the
    deletion, click Yes.

    >Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
    >Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then
    click Delete on the
    >Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the
    deletion, click Yes.
    >Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    >

    >"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having the same problem. Both my DVD drive and CD-
    RW
    >> drive which came with my computer are no longer seen
    in
    >> Windows Explorer and Device Manager. The Device
    Manager
    >> Category for DVD/CD drive is not even listed anymore.
    >> don't know when it started happening but all I'm doing
    >> this computer is update it. I have not been installing
    >> anything in this PC. At one time the DVD drive was
    being
    >> displayed again in Windows Explorer. But when I
    rebooted,
    >> it was gone again. These optical drives are playing
    hide
    >> and seek with me. Are there any Registry keys we can
    >> check to see if the values are right?

    Method 2: Replace the existing driver
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and
    then click System.

    If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
    On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
    Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
    On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the
    removal, click OK.
    Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
    On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

DVD Drives Icons Windows XP