System Freeze when hyper threading enabled

Hello,

I recently upgraded my motherboard to Intel D875PBZ with
Pentium 4 3.0G CPU.

After the installation of the motherboard, I did a in-
place upgrade of Windows XP Professional; installed all
the new drivers associated with the motherboard. and
applied Windows XP SP2 and all patches.

Everything looking good. However, the new system would
freeze, sometimes 5 minutes; or 2 hours. Sometimes even
before the login page appeared.

I have changed the CPU and memory and it still freezes.
However, the system will not freeze if I disabled
the "HyperThreading" feature in the BIOS.

I called Intel support; they suggested me to try to
install a new copy of the Windows XP and to verify if it
still freezes. With a clean installation, the system
did not freeze
Intel support said when upgrading from a non-
hyperthreading motherboard to a hyperthreading one;
Microsoft Windows Setup did not replace all the drivers
properly.

I would really like to use my original Windows instances
with the HyperThreading enabled.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you
David
2 answers Last reply
More about system freeze hyper threading enabled

    You can try doing another repair operation. You can use the File and
    Settings Transfer Wizard if you want just your settings and documents.
    This would require a clean install and then load these settings/files
    back on (it will not keep your installed applications, just their
    settings). If you need help with either of those, let me know.

    Here is what I would do though. First, back up all of the data on the
    computer, then I would make a clean install of XP (it may require
    activation over the phone since things have changed, but that shouldn't
    be a problem unless by chance the original was an OEM install which
    could be causing the problem by itself). I would then load all of my
    applications and data back on and image the drive/fully back it up once
    I got it to a point I thought was perfect.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    David Chan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently upgraded my motherboard to Intel D875PBZ with
    > Pentium 4 3.0G CPU.
    >
    > After the installation of the motherboard, I did a in-
    > place upgrade of Windows XP Professional; installed all
    > the new drivers associated with the motherboard. and
    > applied Windows XP SP2 and all patches.
    >
    > Everything looking good. However, the new system would
    > freeze, sometimes 5 minutes; or 2 hours. Sometimes even
    > before the login page appeared.
    >
    > I have changed the CPU and memory and it still freezes.
    > However, the system will not freeze if I disabled
    > the "HyperThreading" feature in the BIOS.
    >
    > I called Intel support; they suggested me to try to
    > install a new copy of the Windows XP and to verify if it
    > still freezes. With a clean installation, the system
    > did not freeze
    > Intel support said when upgrading from a non-
    > hyperthreading motherboard to a hyperthreading one;
    > Microsoft Windows Setup did not replace all the drivers
    > properly.
    >
    > I would really like to use my original Windows instances
    > with the HyperThreading enabled.
    >
    > Any suggestions is appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you
    > David

    Nathan,
    This is what I have done in the separate disk; but there are so many
    applications, that I need to re-install which I hate.
    I hope there can be a better way. I have been using the same system
    upgrading from Win2k prof which was installed over 4 years ago.

    Thanks for your help
    David

Motherboards Windows XP