A8NE Power Connector

Hi, hope someone can help.

I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with
this kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v connector.

Also, I'm installing XP SP2, do I need to make a floppy off the Asus CD
for installation? I assume XP will see all the drive controllers. I'm
not running any raid, just 2 HDs on PATA, then when I get the SATA
drives I'm reinstalling on the SATA drives and using the PATA drives for
the DVD and CD.

Do I need a floppy with drivers for anything for the XP install?

TIA
john
7 answers Last reply
More about a8ne power connector

    You can get an adapter for the power if necessary, some boards claim to work
    fine with the 20 pin. I'd check with Asus. All the drivers you need are on
    the Asus CD. If you need to install any drivers for SATA or Raid
    controllers, just do it from the CD after you install the operating system
    on your PATA drive

    RBM wrote:
    > You can get an adapter for the power if necessary, some boards claim to work
    > fine with the 20 pin. I'd check with Asus. All the drivers you need are on
    > the Asus CD. If you need to install any drivers for SATA or Raid
    > controllers, just do it from the CD after you install the operating system
    > on your PATA drive
    > "name" <vze4j6mv@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi, hope someone can help.
    >>
    >>I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
    >>year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
    >>work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with this
    >>kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v connector.
    >>
    >>Also, I'm installing XP SP2, do I need to make a floppy off the Asus CD
    >>for installation? I assume XP will see all the drive controllers. I'm not
    >>running any raid, just 2 HDs on PATA, then when I get the SATA drives I'm
    >>reinstalling on the SATA drives and using the PATA drives for the DVD and
    >>CD.
    >>
    >>Do I need a floppy with drivers for anything for the XP install?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>john

    Thanks, it'll probrably be ok, but I'll check with Asus about the 20 pin.

    In article <%Zhae.126$u56.69@trndny09>, NOvze4j6mvSPAM@verizon.net wrote:

    > RBM wrote:
    > > You can get an adapter for the power if necessary, some boards claim
    to work
    > > fine with the 20 pin. I'd check with Asus. All the drivers you need are on
    > > the Asus CD. If you need to install any drivers for SATA or Raid
    > > controllers, just do it from the CD after you install the operating system
    > > on your PATA drive
    > > "name" <vze4j6mv@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi, hope someone can help.
    > >>
    > >>I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
    > >>year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
    > >>work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with this
    > >>kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v connector.
    > >>
    > >>Also, I'm installing XP SP2, do I need to make a floppy off the Asus CD
    > >>for installation? I assume XP will see all the drive controllers. I'm not
    > >>running any raid, just 2 HDs on PATA, then when I get the SATA drives I'm
    > >>reinstalling on the SATA drives and using the PATA drives for the DVD and
    > >>CD.
    > >>
    > >>Do I need a floppy with drivers for anything for the XP install?
    > >>
    > >>TIA
    > >>john
    > >

    > Thanks, it'll probrably be ok, but I'll check with Asus about the 20 pin.

    The issue of whether the 20 pin is sufficient or the 24 pin
    is needed, really depends on the video card you have chosen.

    The 20 pin ATX connector has one 12V wire and pin on it.

    The 24 pin ATX connector has two 12V wires and pins on it.

    The ATX power connector on the motherboard, feeds the PCI Express
    video card, the fans, and some other circuitry that draws
    next to no power. A pin on the ATX power connector is rated for
    6 amps continuous current at room temp. If the video card plus the
    fan headers draw more than 6 amps, then the 24 pin power connector
    should be used. If they draw less than 6 amps, the 20 pin connector
    is OK.

    If anything, this question should be asked of ATI or Nvidia, as
    only they know the mean and standard deviation of the video
    card supply currents.

    These articles are a bit dated, but will give you some idea as
    to how much current a video card draws. As customers, we have
    no way of knowing which rail a new video card will use to supply
    current, so while it is fun to extrapolate from these articles,
    unless the exact video card model is measured, we don't really
    know for sure what the limits are.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In article <%Zhae.126$u56.69@trndny09>, NOvze4j6mvSPAM@verizon.net wrote:
    >
    >> RBM wrote:
    >> > You can get an adapter for the power if necessary, some boards claim
    > to work
    >> > fine with the 20 pin. I'd check with Asus. All the drivers you need are
    >> > on
    >> > the Asus CD. If you need to install any drivers for SATA or Raid
    >> > controllers, just do it from the CD after you install the operating
    >> > system
    >> > on your PATA drive
    >> > "name" <vze4j6mv@verizon.net> wrote in message

    >> Thanks, it'll probrably be ok, but I'll check with Asus about the 20 pin.
    >
    > The issue of whether the 20 pin is sufficient or the 24 pin
    > is needed, really depends on the video card you have chosen.
    >
    > The 20 pin ATX connector has one 12V wire and pin on it.
    >
    > The 24 pin ATX connector has two 12V wires and pins on it.
    >
    > The ATX power connector on the motherboard, feeds the PCI Express
    > video card, the fans, and some other circuitry that draws
    > next to no power. A pin on the ATX power connector is rated for
    > 6 amps continuous current at room temp. If the video card plus the
    > fan headers draw more than 6 amps, then the 24 pin power connector
    > should be used. If they draw less than 6 amps, the 20 pin connector
    > is OK.
    >
    > If anything, this question should be asked of ATI or Nvidia, as
    > only they know the mean and standard deviation of the video
    > card supply currents.
    >
    > These articles are a bit dated, but will give you some idea as
    > to how much current a video card draws. As customers, we have
    > no way of knowing which rail a new video card will use to supply
    > current, so while it is fun to extrapolate from these articles,
    > unless the exact video card model is measured, we don't really
    > know for sure what the limits are.
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-powercons.html
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power.html
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Thanks for the reply. I running an ATI X300 256MB. I did some research and
    it
    doesn't seem to use much power, but, since I plan on dual monitors I bought
    an Antec
    NEOPOWER 480W. It was the PCI-e issue, but, also, support for SATA II.
    All in all, it seemed wise to but a good PS that fully supports the board.

    thanks again,
    john

    name wrote:
    > Hi, hope someone can help.
    >
    > I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
    > year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
    > work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with
    > this kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v connector.

    Well, as far as I know, that amounts to the same thing. Just get them
    the right way around! :-p

    Ben

    In article <1114293777.c2240be9d93b2b5799e9aebea51ad337@teranews>, Ben
    Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

    > name wrote:
    > > Hi, hope someone can help.
    > >
    > > I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
    > > year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
    > > work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with
    > > this kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v connector.
    >
    > Well, as far as I know, that amounts to the same thing. Just get them
    > the right way around! :-p
    >
    > Ben

    The single +12V pin on the ATX 20 pin connector is not
    normally joined to the 2x2 ATX12V connector. The 2x2
    powers the Vcore converter for the processor only. The
    single +12V pin on the AXT 20 pin, is used for AGP/PCI-E/PCI
    powering plus any fan headers. That is why there is an issue
    if you can manage somehow, to get more than 6 amps worth
    of video card and fans onto that single pin. I doubt
    you can get enough load with a single video card,
    but cannot verify it, because I don't have a copy of the
    PCI Express spec.

    Paul

    Thanks. I sent this post once, but I'm not sure if it went through. In any
    case, make a long story short,
    I bought an Antec NEOPOWER 480w with a 24 pin connector, I probrably didn't
    need it the ATI X300 doesn't that much power, but I'd rather be safe.

    thanks again,
    john
    > In article <1114293777.c2240be9d93b2b5799e9aebea51ad337@teranews>, Ben
    > Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> name wrote:
    >> > Hi, hope someone can help.
    >> >
    >> > I just got an A8NE and it has a 24 pin power connector. I have a three
    >> > year old Antec True Power 480w, with a 20 pin connector that seems to
    >> > work just fine, I just want to confirm that there is no problem with
    >> > this kind of setup. And, of course, I connected the 4 pin 12v
    >> > connector.
    >>
    >> Well, as far as I know, that amounts to the same thing. Just get them
    >> the right way around! :-p
    >>
    >> Ben
    >
    > The single +12V pin on the ATX 20 pin connector is not
    > normally joined to the 2x2 ATX12V connector. The 2x2
    > powers the Vcore converter for the processor only. The
    > single +12V pin on the AXT 20 pin, is used for AGP/PCI-E/PCI
    > powering plus any fan headers. That is why there is an issue
    > if you can manage somehow, to get more than 6 amps worth
    > of video card and fans onto that single pin. I doubt
    > you can get enough load with a single video card,
    > but cannot verify it, because I don't have a copy of the
    > PCI Express spec.
    >
    > Paul

Asus Power Windows XP Motherboards