Closed

Hard Drive Partition Missing

August 25, 2004 12:37:17 AM

I recently turned on my computer to find that one of my
hard drives is not formated, but was full of data the day
before. Is there a way to recover the partition and data
without paying for data recovery services?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:03:55 AM

Two utilities come to mind

PowerQuest's Partition Magic
Gibson's SpinRite at www.grc.com

Also, I'm thinking you may be able to recover the partition by booting into
the recovery console and running
fix mbr an fix mft on the 'missing' drive.

Also, just to confirm - is the missing drive recognized by your BIOS? If
not, recovery console probably won't see the drive. In that case, you could
try disconnecting/reconnecting the power and data cable to the hard drive.
"leroyotterson" <Leroyotterson@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I recently turned on my computer to find that one of my
> hard drives is not formated, but was full of data the day
> before. Is there a way to recover the partition and data
> without paying for data recovery services?
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:03:56 AM

Nope.

I had the same thing happen twice in one week with a 200 GB drive that I had partitioned 30/30/20/117 GB. Also lost the 117 GB four times in the same period. The drive is now partitioned 30/30/30/37/free (which XP does not see) so that it is under the 137 GB limit.

Yes, I do have SP2 installed. No, there will never be a newer BIOS for the MB (PIII). I have SR6, the disk is fine.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:LcUWc.244504$OB3.144730@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| Two utilities come to mind
|
| PowerQuest's Partition Magic
| Gibson's SpinRite at www.grc.com
|
| Also, I'm thinking you may be able to recover the partition by booting into
| the recovery console and running
| fix mbr an fix mft on the 'missing' drive.
|
| Also, just to confirm - is the missing drive recognized by your BIOS? If
| not, recovery console probably won't see the drive. In that case, you could
| try disconnecting/reconnecting the power and data cable to the hard drive.
August 25, 2004 11:01:47 PM

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@gmail.com> wrote in message
Nope.

I had the same thing happen twice in one week with a 200 GB drive that I had
partitioned 30/30/20/117 GB. Also lost the 117 GB four times in the same
period. The drive is now partitioned 30/30/30/37/free (which XP does not
see) so that it is under the 137 GB limit.

Were you able to recover the partitions?

Yes, I do have SP2 installed. No, there will never be a newer BIOS for the
MB (PIII). I have SR6, the disk is fine.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Two utilities come to mind
|
| PowerQuest's Partition Magic
| Gibson's SpinRite at www.grc.com
|
| Also, I'm thinking you may be able to recover the partition by booting
into
| the recovery console and running
| fix mbr an fix mft on the 'missing' drive.
|
| Also, just to confirm - is the missing drive recognized by your BIOS? If
| not, recovery console probably won't see the drive. In that case, you
could
| try disconnecting/reconnecting the power and data cable to the hard drive.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 10:15:57 AM

No, I could not recover them.

The drive was being used as a backup for another drive so the partitions were recreated and backups placed on them again.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vm5Xc.247377$OB3.159354@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

| Were you able to recover the partitions?
August 15, 2009 7:00:00 AM

:cry:  :sweat:  one partitioned hard drive is missing.how can i get it?
March 24, 2010 6:05:58 AM

I we have the same problem. I have a hard drive which is patitioned 40/40/80 E,F,G working as a slave to my primary hd, there was an error about the drive F and G then I rebooted my computer and now I can only see drive E with only 17mb. How can I fix it. My important files are in drives F and G.

---------------------------
Hotel,Resort,Accommodation, Package Tour
June 16, 2011 11:21:39 PM

If you're missing a hard drive partition, try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Click on Disk management and you should see the hidden partition on the side of the visible partition. Right click on the unallocated one and there should be something like format. Follow the instructions and it should become visible.
November 4, 2012 2:01:50 PM

Open command prompt as administrator and type :-
DISKPART to open tool named diskpart
then type LIST DISK to see the available disks on your computer
select the one which is your hard drive, generally it is DISK 0, by using the command SELECT DISK 0 (your hard drive's disk number as shown after LIST DISK command)
then type DETAIL DISK to see the volumes in your hard drive or the partitions you made like D, E, F, etc. Look up for the missing partition and then select that volume by SELECT VOLUME # (where # is the volume number of missing volume as shown by DETAIL DISK command)
Now the last step... type ASSIGN and you are done ... :)
November 5, 2012 8:06:11 AM

If your partition is loss,use parition recovery software,the link in my signagure.
May 8, 2013 11:09:09 PM

This totally worked for me. I have my D: drive back! Thanks Vipin :D

!