removing slave hard drive

August 25, 2004 1:17:11 AM

I am trying to remove my 2nd slave hard dive it is blank
now but when try to remove it sytem will not boot to
windows and tyies to boot from cd and wants system disk.
I simply wnat to remove this old drive to use ot on a
differnt system any help would be greatly appreicated
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:32:01 AM

When you first turn on your computer, press DEL or whichever key yours uses
to enter the BIOS setup program. Make sure your hard drive is showing up
there, and that it is set to boot from that drive. If it isn't showing up
something is wrong. Check your IDE cable again and make sure that your
drive's jumpers are set as master.

"Kevin B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to remove my 2nd slave hard dive it is blank
> now but when try to remove it sytem will not boot to
> windows and tyies to boot from cd and wants system disk.
> I simply wnat to remove this old drive to use ot on a
> differnt system any help would be greatly appreicated
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:32:02 AM

Thanks primary drive is showing up in bios and is 1st
boot device, slave is none as it should not be since I
removed it jumpers ok this drive has always been master
still will not boot to windows can not get past verifying
DMI pool page then ask for cd. If turn off power and
reconnect 2nd HD slave then every thing works fine.. but
I want to use HD in a nother system. I have disabled it
in device manager then after restart uninstalled via
device manager. In device manger for this drive under
policies optimizze for performance is checked under that
setting it talks about to use the safely remove hardware
icon to uninstall. I t not an option in my tool bar and
to the best I can find this is for hot swapible devices
not regular ide inturnal HD. It should not be this
hard!!!!
Kevin

Related resources
August 25, 2004 4:32:03 AM

If the drives are WD then the single drive's jumper should be removed -
there is NO master or slave as far as a single WD drive is concerned.

> Thanks primary drive is showing up in bios and is 1st
> boot device, slave is none as it should not be since I
> removed it jumpers ok this drive has always been master
> still will not boot to windows can not get past verifying
> DMI pool page then ask for cd. If turn off power and
> reconnect 2nd HD slave then every thing works fine.. but
> I want to use HD in a nother system. I have disabled it
> in device manager then after restart uninstalled via
> device manager. In device manger for this drive under
> policies optimizze for performance is checked under that
> setting it talks about to use the safely remove hardware
> icon to uninstall. I t not an option in my tool bar and
> to the best I can find this is for hot swapible devices
> not regular ide inturnal HD. It should not be this
> hard!!!!
> Kevin

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:36:40 AM

You might try going into setup and select "Reset BIOS Defaults".

"kevin B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks primary drive is showing up in bios and is 1st
> boot device, slave is none as it should not be since I
> removed it jumpers ok this drive has always been master
> still will not boot to windows can not get past verifying
> DMI pool page then ask for cd. If turn off power and
> reconnect 2nd HD slave then every thing works fine.. but
> I want to use HD in a nother system. I have disabled it
> in device manager then after restart uninstalled via
> device manager. In device manger for this drive under
> policies optimizze for performance is checked under that
> setting it talks about to use the safely remove hardware
> icon to uninstall. I t not an option in my tool bar and
> to the best I can find this is for hot swapible devices
> not regular ide inturnal HD. It should not be this
> hard!!!!
> Kevin

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:54:51 AM

If the drive you wamt to remove has been the master, all the boot records
are on that disk. Remove it, boot from the XP CD, Repair (aka Repair
Console) and run FIXBOOT

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"kevin B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Thanks primary drive is showing up in bios and is 1st
> boot device, slave is none as it should not be since I
> removed it jumpers ok this drive has always been master
> still will not boot to windows can not get past verifying
> DMI pool page then ask for cd. If turn off power and
> reconnect 2nd HD slave then every thing works fine.. but
> I want to use HD in a nother system. I have disabled it
> in device manager then after restart uninstalled via
> device manager. In device manger for this drive under
> policies optimizze for performance is checked under that
> setting it talks about to use the safely remove hardware
> icon to uninstall. I t not an option in my tool bar and
> to the best I can find this is for hot swapible devices
> not regular ide inturnal HD. It should not be this
> hard!!!!
> Kevin

August 26, 2004 2:06:39 PM

You might want to check when the slave drive is in and the system boots how
these drives are detected in disk management. I have run accross instances
where your XP drive (master) is the boot drive but a second drive/partition
may be marked system. This can occur when the windows swap file is for some
reason in whole or in part on this slave drive.

Windows has not problem rebuilding swap file if it is deleted but gets fussy
if the drive it is expecting to put the swap file on "disappears".

Just a possible scenario...

Good Luck,
Len

!