Building new system - advice appreciated!

Well, after much debate I think it may be time to get a new PC. I have been
reluctant to as we just bought a new PC last year, but a couple of things
have changed my mind:

It only has a PCI slot for video card upgrade, no AGP. And in any case, the
monitor has this wacky ‘digital +’ plug that appears to only fit with Fujitsu
computers. No DVI or VGA adapters appear to be adaptable. I went ahead and
bought a Ge-Force 5600 PCI video card that does get me into the market for
Direct X 9b games, but the performance is sketchy (always have to set to
lowest options, and then still get lag in games like BFV). I also bought an
old cheap VGA monitor, but it hurts my eyes. Not thrilled with the prospect
of shelling out a couple of hundred dollars more for a new DVI monitor to
equal the original, and still being yesterday’s PCI technology, I thought
getting a new system might be in order. Too bad as Fujitsu has a good
reputation for quality here, and I am happy with the PC otherwise. And it’s
all still under warranty.

Keep in mind I am in Japan, and the language barrier makes everything more
difficult. Also, selling/buying used computers is not common here, so I’ll
probably have to take a huge hit if I go that route. We got the system for
130,000 yen (about $1200 US), much cheaper than normal retail. Anyway, if
possible I would like to try and salvage something from it to be cost
effective. Is it possible to do this? The low end SiS 740 video card is
built into the mobo, and there are no AGP slots.

Make/name: Fujitsu FMV-Deskpower (Model: CE21C).

AMD Anthalon XP 2100+
266 MHz system bus clock
256 MB memory (plus 512 MB stick I added)
120 GB HD

Accessories: 17� flatscreen monitor with built-in speakers, laser mouse,
DVD-R CD-RW drive, Ge-Force 5600 PCI card.

I play a lot of games, so would like to have a decent system, but don’t need
to get an outrageously new/expensive type. Any advice or recommendations
greatly appreciated!
6 answers Last reply
More about building system advice appreciated

    May I suggest that you consider a minimum specification as follows:
    • Intel Pentium 2.8Ghz CPU @ 800 FSB CPU 1Mb [or Prescott]
    • 512Mb DDR Ram @ FSB400
    • 120Gb IDE Hard Drive @ 7200 RPM or SATA Hard Drive
    • Motherboard with:
    o AGP 8X graphics interface
    o Integrated 5.1-channel 3D audio
    o Integrated USB 2.0 (Total 8xPorts)
    o Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    o SATA and ATA Interfaces
    o Intel Prescott Ready!!!!
    • nVidia FX5700 256Mb Video Card
    • 16x DVD Rom Drive or DVD Burner On Request
    • 1.44Mb Floppy Drive

    This should cost less than US$700 including the case with a 350W or 400W
    power supply [definitely required for the CPU and Memory]. If you want to
    reduce your costs, find an AMD CPU / MOBO combination with the other specs of
    same level and it will save you US $100 over the Intel CPU without affecting
    gaming performance.

    Given what you already 'have' in your current config: re-usable items include:
    .. DVD-R drive [US$ 40]
    .. CD-RW drive [US$40]
    .. Floppy Drive [US$ 10]
    .. keyboard [US$ 20]
    .. mouse [US$ 20]
    .. monitor / speakers [US$ 300]

    "jonnyd" wrote:

    > Well, after much debate I think it may be time to get a new PC. I have been
    > reluctant to as we just bought a new PC last year, but a couple of things
    > have changed my mind:
    >
    > It only has a PCI slot for video card upgrade, no AGP. And in any case, the
    > monitor has this wacky ‘digital +’ plug that appears to only fit with Fujitsu
    > computers. No DVI or VGA adapters appear to be adaptable. I went ahead and
    > bought a Ge-Force 5600 PCI video card that does get me into the market for
    > Direct X 9b games, but the performance is sketchy (always have to set to
    > lowest options, and then still get lag in games like BFV). I also bought an
    > old cheap VGA monitor, but it hurts my eyes. Not thrilled with the prospect
    > of shelling out a couple of hundred dollars more for a new DVI monitor to
    > equal the original, and still being yesterday’s PCI technology, I thought
    > getting a new system might be in order. Too bad as Fujitsu has a good
    > reputation for quality here, and I am happy with the PC otherwise. And it’s
    > all still under warranty.
    >
    > Keep in mind I am in Japan, and the language barrier makes everything more
    > difficult. Also, selling/buying used computers is not common here, so I’ll
    > probably have to take a huge hit if I go that route. We got the system for
    > 130,000 yen (about $1200 US), much cheaper than normal retail. Anyway, if
    > possible I would like to try and salvage something from it to be cost
    > effective. Is it possible to do this? The low end SiS 740 video card is
    > built into the mobo, and there are no AGP slots.
    >
    > Make/name: Fujitsu FMV-Deskpower (Model: CE21C).
    >
    > AMD Anthalon XP 2100+
    > 266 MHz system bus clock
    > 256 MB memory (plus 512 MB stick I added)
    > 120 GB HD
    >
    > Accessories: 17� flatscreen monitor with built-in speakers, laser mouse,
    > DVD-R CD-RW drive, Ge-Force 5600 PCI card.
    >

    > I play a lot of games, so would like to have a decent system, but don’t need
    > to get an outrageously new/expensive type. Any advice or recommendations
    > greatly appreciated!

    You can almost get these exact specs for under $400. Check out this deal:

    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=353580&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Dell

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    BAR wrote:
> [...]
    >>probably have to take a huge hit if I go that route. We got the system for
    >>130,000 yen (about $1200 US), much cheaper than normal retail. Anyway, if
    >>possible I would like to try and salvage something from it to be cost
    >>effective. Is it possible to do this? The low end SiS 740 video card is
    >>built into the mobo, and there are no AGP slots.
    >>
    >>Make/name: Fujitsu FMV-Deskpower (Model: CE21C).
    >>
    >>AMD Anthalon XP 2100+
    >>266 MHz system bus clock
    >>256 MB memory (plus 512 MB stick I added)
    >>120 GB HD
    >>
    >>Accessories: 17� flatscreen monitor with built-in speakers, laser mouse,
    >>DVD-R CD-RW drive, Ge-Force 5600 PCI card.
    >>

    >>I play a lot of games, so would like to have a decent system, but don't need
    >>to get an outrageously new/expensive type. Any advice or recommendations

    Hi guys-
    Thanks for the link Nathan. Unfortunatley Dell doesn't appear to ship to
    Japan. But those specs are helpful. Also, as I mentioned the monitor won't
    fit anything but some Fujitsu PCs. Is my Fujitsu mobo and processor useless
    for rebuild as there is only PCI slots available?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> [...]
    > >>probably have to take a huge hit if I go that route. We got the system for
    > >>130,000 yen (about $1200 US), much cheaper than normal retail. Anyway, if
    > >>possible I would like to try and salvage something from it to be cost
    > >>effective. Is it possible to do this? The low end SiS 740 video card is
    > >>built into the mobo, and there are no AGP slots.
    > >>
    > >>Make/name: Fujitsu FMV-Deskpower (Model: CE21C).
    > >>
    > >>AMD Anthalon XP 2100+
    > >>266 MHz system bus clock
    > >>256 MB memory (plus 512 MB stick I added)
    > >>120 GB HD
    > >>
    > >>Accessories: 17� flatscreen monitor with built-in speakers, laser mouse,
    > >>DVD-R CD-RW drive, Ge-Force 5600 PCI card.
    > >>

    > >>I play a lot of games, so would like to have a decent system, but don’t need
    > >>to get an outrageously new/expensive type. Any advice or recommendations

    They are not useless as there are PCI Video cards, but you will probably
    not have very good performance from your existing system. If this
    monitor is proprietary, you are going to be hard pressed to find one
    that will work with it.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    jonnyd wrote:
    > Hi guys-
    > Thanks for the link Nathan. Unfortunatley Dell doesn't appear to ship to
    > Japan. But those specs are helpful. Also, as I mentioned the monitor won't
    > fit anything but some Fujitsu PCs. Is my Fujitsu mobo and processor useless
    > for rebuild as there is only PCI slots available?
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>You can almost get these exact specs for under $400. Check out this deal:
    >>
    >>http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=353580&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Dell
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>BAR wrote:
    >>
    >>>May I suggest that you consider a minimum specification as follows:
    >>>• Intel Pentium 2.8Ghz CPU @ 800 FSB CPU 1Mb [or Prescott]
    >>>• 512Mb DDR Ram @ FSB400
    >>>• 120Gb IDE Hard Drive @ 7200 RPM or SATA Hard Drive
    >>>• Motherboard with:
    >>> o AGP 8X graphics interface
    >>> o Integrated 5.1-channel 3D audio
    >>> o Integrated USB 2.0 (Total 8xPorts)
    >>> o Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    >>> o SATA and ATA Interfaces
    >>> o Intel Prescott Ready!!!!
    >>>• nVidia FX5700 256Mb Video Card
    >>>• 16x DVD Rom Drive or DVD Burner On Request
    >>>• 1.44Mb Floppy Drive
    >>>
    >>>This should cost less than US$700 including the case with a 350W or 400W
    >>>power supply [definitely required for the CPU and Memory]. If you want to
    >>>reduce your costs, find an AMD CPU / MOBO combination with the other specs of
    >>>same level and it will save you US $100 over the Intel CPU without affecting
    >>>gaming performance.
    >>>
    >>>Given what you already 'have' in your current config: re-usable items include:
    >>>. DVD-R drive [US$ 40]
    >>>. CD-RW drive [US$40]
    >>>. Floppy Drive [US$ 10]
    >>>. keyboard [US$ 20]
    >>>. mouse [US$ 20]
    >>>. monitor / speakers [US$ 300]

    I understand that Japanese companies sell a lot of equipment
    in Japan that does not meet international standards, it is
    not intended for export and so finding standard hardware is
    often not possible.

    If you are visiting/working in Japan and want to buy a
    computer (or anything else) check whether it is an
    exportable product that is supported internationally.

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    | They are not useless as there are PCI Video cards, but you
    will probably
    | not have very good performance from your existing system.
    If this
    | monitor is proprietary, you are going to be hard pressed
    to find one
    | that will work with it.
    |
    | ----
    | Nathan McNulty
    |

    | jonnyd wrote:
    | > Hi guys-
    | > Thanks for the link Nathan. Unfortunatley Dell doesn't
    appear to ship to
    | > Japan. But those specs are helpful. Also, as I
    mentioned the monitor won't
    | > fit anything but some Fujitsu PCs. Is my Fujitsu mobo
    and processor useless
    | > for rebuild as there is only PCI slots available?
    | >
    | > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    | >

    | >>You can almost get these exact specs for under $400.
    Check out this deal:

    >>http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=353580&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Dell
    | >>
    | >>----
    | >>Nathan McNulty

    Prescott]

    Memory]. If you want to
    CPU without affecting

    re-usable items include:

    And in any case, the
    adaptable. I went ahead and
    (always have to set to
    BFV). I also bought an
    thrilled with the prospect
    Fujitsu has a good
    PC otherwise. And it's

    We got the system for
    SiS 740 video card is

    speakers, laser mouse,

    As many here do, I work on computers. It is very hard to transfer HW from
    proprietary systems to standard systems. These components are made
    specificly for these systems and do not migrate well. Even those items that
    you think may work fine (CD ROM/DVD ROM drives for example) do not as face
    plates, size and demensions may be different from the standard.

    Also, you may or may not benefit from the fact that slowly the market is
    beginning to look forward to PCI Express for video which intails using
    completely new MB/CPU and associated HW. You may get a bargain on some of
    the current systems which do not have options like PCI Express and DDR2.
    However, probably sooner then later new SW titles (read games) will be
    optimized for these latest HW changes.

    It well may be a pain, but it may be worth while to consider having a system
    built/purchased in the states and have it shipped to you by family/friends.
    Just make sure that who every makes the system understands that it will be
    used internationally.

    Just my 2 cents on the matter...

    Len

Windows XP