Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony VAIO and win 8 upgrade bluray problem

Last response: in Windows 8
November 20, 2012 5:17:15 AM

I upgraded to Win 8 before checking Sony's site to have their system checker tell me:

"The VGC-LV150J is not supported for Windows 8."

So now the BluRay player isn't recognized at all. Everything else seems to be ok.

The computer shipped with Vista. I upgraded to 7 when I put in a new HD and didn't have any problems with any components.

Any solutions out there? Short of rolling back to win 7... Was hoping to use the 7 Ultimate copy on a new build I'm putting together. Though if I have to put 8 on the new box I will while its still cheap.

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 20, 2012 6:17:13 AM

Truthfully with a all-in-one system like that I would stick with Windows 7. From Sony's website it looks like Windows 7 x64 is the last OS that even has drivers for that system and it came out with Vista. the BluRay player not working is kinda strange as most DVD/BluRay Readers/Writers us Microsoft default drivers there for should work just fine with Windows 8. So my best guess would be that it uses a custom firmware that is making it incompatible with Windows 8. But it would help to know the make/model of the BluRay player itself.
November 20, 2012 1:22:27 PM

Looks like it is an Optiarc™ BD-ROM BC-5500S, based on the firmware update page on Sony. Or BC-5600S based on Driver Manager scan.

Driver Manager recognizes the device as "unplugged".
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 2:02:18 PM

I'm afraid you are going to have to revert to Windows 7. Its the one thing I hated about Sony for years
m
l
November 20, 2012 3:03:51 PM

Thanks. I figured I would be better off with 7, but wanted to move that 7 licence to a new build. Oh well.

m
l
November 20, 2012 6:22:50 PM

Best answer selected by cpokey26.
m
l
!