Problem with PSUs

Hi.

I bought one PC with the following components 6 months ago:

Motherboard: A7N8X-E Deluxe
Micro: AMD Barton 2800 MHZ
Memory: 2x512 MB DDR (Generic)
VGA Card: Chaintech GeForce MX 4000
Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Hard Disk: Seagate 80 GB (ST380013AS)
CD-RW LG
Modem Encore 56K

I installed it in one office. I connected the power supply to one
power stabilizer. Actually, I replaced an old computer that always
worked fine, with this new PC (with ASUS mainboard).
Next to this PC, there is another one connected directly (without
stabilizer) to the wall power. In another room there is another
computer working fine.
The problem is that since I started to work with this PC, the PSU
(power supply unit) of it got broken 3 times. Every time it broke, we
replaced it with a new one, usually different brand and models. All of
them were 350W standard PSUs which I think it is enough for giving
power to the few components my PC has.
Due to there are other computers working without any problem since
long time ago in the place where I installed the computer, I assume
that the problem is not related to the external electrical
infrastructure. Besides, I assume that it is neither related to the
PSU because 3 different PSUs broke. So, it seems to be some component
inside the PC is causing these failures.
Generally the problem happened this way: I was working with the PC and
suddenly the monitor lose the signal and the PSU stopped working. The
only thing still on was the ON/OFF led of the front of the cabinet. I
pushed the button until the led turned off. Then when I tried to turn
on the PC again, it did not work. Then I changed the PSU and generally
between 20-40 days later the same situation happened again.
What do you think about this? Could the problem be related to the
motherboard?

I will appreciate your comments and opinions.
Thanks.

Adrian
8 answers Last reply
More about problem psus

    Adrian Galperin wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I bought one PC with the following components 6 months ago:
    >
    > Motherboard: A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > Micro: AMD Barton 2800 MHZ
    > Memory: 2x512 MB DDR (Generic)
    > VGA Card: Chaintech GeForce MX 4000
    > Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    > Hard Disk: Seagate 80 GB (ST380013AS)
    > CD-RW LG
    > Modem Encore 56K
    >
    > I installed it in one office. I connected the power supply to one
    > power stabilizer. Actually, I replaced an old computer that always
    > worked fine, with this new PC (with ASUS mainboard).
    > Next to this PC, there is another one connected directly (without
    > stabilizer) to the wall power. In another room there is another
    > computer working fine.
    > The problem is that since I started to work with this PC, the PSU
    > (power supply unit) of it got broken 3 times. Every time it broke, we
    > replaced it with a new one, usually different brand and models. All of
    > them were 350W standard PSUs which I think it is enough for giving
    > power to the few components my PC has.
    > Due to there are other computers working without any problem since
    > long time ago in the place where I installed the computer, I assume
    > that the problem is not related to the external electrical
    > infrastructure. Besides, I assume that it is neither related to the
    > PSU because 3 different PSUs broke. So, it seems to be some component
    > inside the PC is causing these failures.
    > Generally the problem happened this way: I was working with the PC and
    > suddenly the monitor lose the signal and the PSU stopped working. The
    > only thing still on was the ON/OFF led of the front of the cabinet. I
    > pushed the button until the led turned off. Then when I tried to turn
    > on the PC again, it did not work. Then I changed the PSU and generally
    > between 20-40 days later the same situation happened again.
    > What do you think about this? Could the problem be related to the
    > motherboard?
    >
    > I will appreciate your comments and opinions.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adrian

    The only common points are: (a) Working inside the computer
    and (b) The connection between the PSU to the power. If the
    computer case is open and the computer fails, then one could
    assume an errant burst of static or accidental shorting of a
    circuit through carelessness. OTOH, surge protectors are not
    very effective --- UPS's are better --- and with other systems
    on the same power circuit, a burst from their PSU's could be
    an issue, but not likely. Solution: Replace the PSU with at
    least a 450-Watt Unit, and put all 3 computers on their own
    UPS's, and stop fiddling with the insides of this particular
    computer.

    One (of many reasons) for your symptoms would be a lockout
    in the power supply controller. The power supply system is
    more than just a power supply. This is only another reason
    why a multimeter is used to find a defect before just
    *assuming* power supply failure.

    Numbers taken during some of these procedures make it
    possible for the more technically informed to provide a useful
    answer. As has always been well understood (and you have
    demonstrated by example) is that swapping power supplies can
    cure a symptom - not the problem. Procedures and how that
    power supply system works are lists in two discussion:
    "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
    Jan 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2t69q
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at
    http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

    Pictures to better understand where to take those
    measurements:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
    www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

    Without numbers and other essential data, then replies can
    only be speculation. Numbers empower those who can really
    answer your question. Based upon what has been posted, one
    can only wildly speculate.

    What is this power stabilizer?

    In article <ee91c56b.0504231006.7b5e3f4d@posting.google.com>,
    aegalperin@hotmail.com (Adrian Galperin) wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I bought one PC with the following components 6 months ago:
    >
    > Motherboard: A7N8X-E Deluxe
    > Micro: AMD Barton 2800 MHZ
    > Memory: 2x512 MB DDR (Generic)
    > VGA Card: Chaintech GeForce MX 4000
    > Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    > Hard Disk: Seagate 80 GB (ST380013AS)
    > CD-RW LG
    > Modem Encore 56K
    >
    > I installed it in one office. I connected the power supply to one
    > power stabilizer. Actually, I replaced an old computer that always
    > worked fine, with this new PC (with ASUS mainboard).
    > Next to this PC, there is another one connected directly (without
    > stabilizer) to the wall power. In another room there is another
    > computer working fine.
    > The problem is that since I started to work with this PC, the PSU
    > (power supply unit) of it got broken 3 times. Every time it broke, we
    > replaced it with a new one, usually different brand and models. All of
    > them were 350W standard PSUs which I think it is enough for giving
    > power to the few components my PC has.
    > Due to there are other computers working without any problem since
    > long time ago in the place where I installed the computer, I assume
    > that the problem is not related to the external electrical
    > infrastructure. Besides, I assume that it is neither related to the
    > PSU because 3 different PSUs broke. So, it seems to be some component
    > inside the PC is causing these failures.
    > Generally the problem happened this way: I was working with the PC and
    > suddenly the monitor lose the signal and the PSU stopped working. The
    > only thing still on was the ON/OFF led of the front of the cabinet. I
    > pushed the button until the led turned off. Then when I tried to turn
    > on the PC again, it did not work. Then I changed the PSU and generally
    > between 20-40 days later the same situation happened again.
    > What do you think about this? Could the problem be related to the
    > motherboard?
    >
    > I will appreciate your comments and opinions.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adrian

    If this was my computer, I would check the label on the side
    of the PSU. With a 3200+ and dual channel memory, I've measured
    16.6amps being drawn from +5V. Allow another 5.5amps for a high
    end video card (one of the video cards with a separate power
    cable). A disk drive uses 1A from +5V. That means 5V@25A is a
    reasonable starting rating for the power supply. Not all 350W
    standard power supplies will have that high a rating.

    The thing is, different Asus motherboards use different rails
    as their main source of power. The Pentium P4 boards place a
    premium on the +12V current, while the AthlonXP Asus boards
    like to use lots of +5V.

    If you are a PC installer/builder/professional, I recommend owning
    a clamp-on DC ammeter. There are some examples in this datasheet:

    http://www.repaircalibration.com/lib/cal-tek/380947.pdf

    To measure +5V, for example, you take the four +5V wires and
    place all four within the jaws of the ammeter. The ammeter
    will sum the current flowing through the four wires, and tell
    you how much current is flowing to the motherboard. You can
    do a similar measurement, using the +5V wire leading to a
    disk drive or CD drive.

    By using an application like Prime95 or CPUBurn, and a clamp-on
    ammeter, you can measure system current consumption. Compare
    the consumption to the rating on the side of the PSU. That will
    tell you how much bigger a supply is needed. The label on the
    side of the supply, gives a breakdown of what each PSU rail
    is capable of. It will also say, what combined limits there are
    for the +3.3 and +5V power.

    It is also possible that something is shorting on the bottom
    of the motherboard. Try to ensure the holes in the motherboard
    are centered over the brass standoffs, to reduce the risk that
    an off-center standoff is causing something to short.

    The four +5V wires and pins on the ATX 20 pin connector, are
    rated for 6 amps each. That is a total of 24 amps. If the
    motherboard is drawing more than 24 amps (say due to a malfunction),
    then the ATX 20 pin connector will get hot enough to melt the
    plastic around the connector pins. If there is a defect bad
    enough to do that, you might see visible damage to the ATX
    power connector.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Dear folks,

    Thanks for your replies.
    I have checked with ASUS Support and they told me to download one ASUS
    utility (ASUS PC Probe) for measuring some voltages. I found by using
    this software the following values:

    +12V 12.544
    +5V 4.73
    +3.3V 3.328
    Vcore 1.664

    As a result, ASUS support replied me:
    "your +5V value is too low and the +12V value is too high; that means
    your Power supply unit is not so good.
    if possible ,i think you need test with another PSU, you can see the
    every output value in the PSU label,
    you need use a PSU with :
    +5V higher than 28A,
    +12V higher than 16A"

    I checked my current PSU and it is:
    Output 350W
    +3.3V 22A
    +5V 25A
    +12V 12A

    What do you think? Do you think the problem I am having (I already
    damaged 3 PSUs) is because I need a better PSU which can achieve the
    values recommended by ASUS Support.

    I would like to know your comments about this.

    Thanks.
    Regards,

    Adrian

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2404050011480001@192.168.1.178>...
> [...]
    > tell you how much bigger a supply is needed. The label on the
    > side of the supply, gives a breakdown of what each PSU rail
    > is capable of. It will also say, what combined limits there are
    > for the +3.3 and +5V power.
    >
    > It is also possible that something is shorting on the bottom
    > of the motherboard. Try to ensure the holes in the motherboard
    > are centered over the brass standoffs, to reduce the risk that
    > an off-center standoff is causing something to short.
    >
    > The four +5V wires and pins on the ATX 20 pin connector, are
    > rated for 6 amps each. That is a total of 24 amps. If the
    > motherboard is drawing more than 24 amps (say due to a malfunction),
    > then the ATX 20 pin connector will get hot enough to melt the
    > plastic around the connector pins. If there is a defect bad
    > enough to do that, you might see visible damage to the ATX

    An onboard voltage monitor is only a monitor. It is not
    sufficiently calibrated to measure voltage - only monitor for
    voltage changes. But calibrated after confirmed with a
    multimeter. What Asus told you (and more) was provided in
    those previously cited posts.

    Limits for those numbers were provided in the previous
    discussion entitled "I think my power supply is dead". The +5
    volts (if that really is the number) is low. Meets lower
    limit in those specs. But the measured voltage must be above
    4.87 for other reasons. The +12 is at and just under the
    upper limit - acceptable. But again, until the multimeter
    (with sufficient accuracy) reports those voltages, only then
    can we be sure what your voltages are.

    The difference what Asus demands and what the power supply
    is rated at is quite trivial. That trivial difference alone
    would not cause such voltage variances. But is that power
    supply really sufficient? Does it really do what the label
    says?

    The procedure is simple. Measure those voltages on power up
    as described in previous posts. Then repeat those
    measurements when the system is accessing most peripherals
    simultaneously. For example, soundcard is playing a sound
    while small command line programs are repeatedly reading
    directories of the C:, A:, and CD-Rom; and while doing
    something via the network. This creates a maximum load.
    Accessing peripherals simultaneously should not cause a major
    voltage drop. Post numbers so that others with experience can
    help you understand what those numbers mean.

    How much does the voltage drop (either using multimeter or
    motherboard monitor)? These numbers determine whether the
    supply is too small (and therefore does not really output what
    they claim) or whether problem is elsewhere.

    BTW, computer cannot damage a minimally sufficient power
    supply. Even one too small must never be damaged. But
    swapping supplies may only cure symptoms - as you have
    demonstrated previously. Were those previous supplies really
    damaged? Or were they just protecting themselves? Better to
    take numbers using the multimeter on both the suspect supply,
    and then later after installing a new supply. Voltages at
    startup and with supply under maximum load.

    Power supplies that are bought on price (are missing
    essential functions) can be damaged by a computer. If
    computer damaged a supply, then other essential functions also
    were probably forgotten inside that supply. Missing
    functions that could then damage motherboard, disk drives,
    etc. A minimally acceptable supply first provides a long
    list of numerical specs. You may not understand what those
    specs say. But if specs are provided, then 1% who really know
    anything about computers can warn you about "all those missing
    essential functions". If supply does not provide those
    numbers, then essential functions are most likely forgotten -
    not inside that supply.

    A procedure to measure and understand power supplies was
    posted previously. Anything Asus was saying (and other
    important facts that Asus never mentioned) were in those
    what is on the label. How do you know? Did it come with a
    long list of numbers for other essential functions? If not,
    suspect the worst.

    In article <ee91c56b.0504261024.7e1f3171@posting.google.com>,
    aegalperin@hotmail.com (Adrian Galperin) wrote:

    > Dear folks,
    >
    > Thanks for your replies.
    > I have checked with ASUS Support and they told me to download one ASUS
    > utility (ASUS PC Probe) for measuring some voltages. I found by using
    > this software the following values:
    >
    > +12V 12.544
    > +5V 4.73
    > +3.3V 3.328
    > Vcore 1.664
    >
    > As a result, ASUS support replied me:
    > "your +5V value is too low and the +12V value is too high; that means
    > your Power supply unit is not so good.
    > if possible ,i think you need test with another PSU, you can see the
    > every output value in the PSU label,
    > you need use a PSU with :
    > +5V higher than 28A,
    > +12V higher than 16A"
    >
    > I checked my current PSU and it is:
    > Output 350W
    > +3.3V 22A
    > +5V 25A
    > +12V 12A
    >
    > What do you think? Do you think the problem I am having (I already
    > damaged 3 PSUs) is because I need a better PSU which can achieve the
    > values recommended by ASUS Support.
    >
    > I would like to know your comments about this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Regards,
    >
    > Adrian

    Well, I don't know if dwelling on the details of PSU design is
    going to help you resolve this problem or not. Occasionally, I
    run into reports here, where the symptoms suggest there is an
    internal fault in a motherboard, but the only way to determine
    if that is the case, is either by observing visual damage to
    some component of the system, or to measure the current flow.

    For example, I have seen a Vcore failure, where the area around
    the CPU socket was charred from the heat. I have also read a report
    of a power supply casing getting too hot to touch. Those are signs
    that something bad is happening, and would be cases where the
    current being consumed is way above either the ratings of the
    power connector or of the power supply itself.

    First, a little note about power supplies. I have a couple of
    different kinds here. The simplest kind has one feedback wire on
    a 3.3V signal. If you look at the ATX 20 pin wire harness, there is
    a 3.3V pin, which has one thick wire, and one slightly thinner wire.
    The thinner wire is a remote sense, and the power supply observes
    the voltage measured at the end of the thinner wire. You will
    notice that the value of the 3.3V output is very close to the
    correct value, and the sense wire helps make that possible.

    The older power supply designs had one primary circuit. One of the
    points to note here, is that some of the output voltages are
    determined by the transformer turns ratio, and are not that
    precisely regulated.

    http://www.pavouk.comp.cz/hw/en_atxps.html

    Power supplies like the Antec Truepower have separated the outputs
    somewhat, and there is a sense wire for +3.3, +5, and +12V.
    This means the power supply outputs are separate stabilized.
    So, not all power supplies have the same internal architecture.

    Depending on the design, some power supplies have a limit on
    the combined total power coming from +3.3V and +5V. This may
    present a practical limit which is lower than the one listed
    as the maximum current on a winding.

    When I look at your voltages:

    +12V 12.544
    +5V 4.73
    +3.3V 3.328

    what they tell me is -

    1) Your supply uses a single thin wire on a 3.3V power pin.
    The power supply is tightly regulating the 3.3V voltage.
    The +5V and +12V voltages are related to the 3.3V voltage
    by means of the fixed turns ratio of the output transformer.

    2) The +12V is higher than normal.
    3) The +5V is lower than normal

    4) Based on (2) and (3), what this tells me, is the +5V winding
    is quite heavily loaded, which is to be expected for your
    type of motherboard (Asus athlonxp motherboards power the
    processor from +5V). Comparatively speaking, the +12V is
    not being loaded nearly as much, so its voltage runs higher
    than normal. I am more concerned with the 4.73 number, than
    with the +12V going a little high.

    The +5V reading of 4.73 is at the lower limit of the usual
    5% tolerance listed on the label on the supply. That means
    the number of amps flowing must be getting in the neighbourhood
    of the capacity of the power supply.

    So, what to do about it:

    1) Buy a "boat anchor". For example, this power supply claims to
    be able to provide +5V @ 61 amps, which is not physically
    possible. It costs $64 US, and is not the most expensive
    power supply you could buy. (It isn't really a 61 amp
    supply, because the combined output limit on +3.3 and +5V is
    235 watts, and even if the current flowing on the +3.3V output
    is 0 amps, the +5V can make 47 amps.) This power supply will
    teach your motherboard who is the boss :-)

    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=17-101-406&depa=0
    VOLTAGE +5V +12V +3.3V -5V -12V +5VSB
    PSP4ATX50F 61A 28A 35A 0.5A 0.5A 2A

    2) Buy a separately regulated supply. Any of these Antec
    Truepower supplies will do the job. The True380 may be
    enough current for +5V, to avoid problems. A True550 would
    cost too much to be practical. There are some other brands
    that also separately regulate the outputs, like OCZ 420ADJ
    (http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104150)
    where adjustment knobs are provided for each power rail. There
    might even be an Enermax that does that.

    VOLTAGE +5V +12V +3.3V -5V -12V +5VSB
    TRUE330 30A 17A 28A 0.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE380 35A 18A 28A 0.5A 1.0A 2.0A <--- $65 US
    TRUE430 36A 20A 28A 0.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE480 38A 22A 30A 1.5A 1.0A 2.0A
    TRUE550 40A 24A 32A 0.5A 1.0A 2.0A <--- $95 US

    420ADJ 30A 30A 28A 0.5A 0.5A 2.0A <--- $89 US

    3) Buy an efficient supply. When your motherboard draws more power
    than it should, a supply like this will not get nearly as
    hot internally. Only problem with some of these, is they
    are way too expensive. So, I think the "boat anchor" brute
    force approach may be more economic than the elegance of
    a high efficiency supply.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/power_supply-37.html

    4) Get another motherboard ? Like maybe Abit NF7-S (I've heard
    comments that the S2/S2G is not quite as nice, so read up
    on which one is the best one to get). The NF7-S family run
    the processor from +12V, at a lower current. The NF7-S has
    likely been out of production for some time, leaving only
    the S2 and S2G in the retail channel.

    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/

    HTH,
    Paul

    Hi.

    The person who said that the onboard monitor is not accurate was
    totally right.
    I checked the voltages by opening the cabinet and using a digital
    multimeter and found that the +5V value is about 4.95V with the PC
    turned on but without working with it. This value dropped to 4.87V by
    working doing several things at the same time (I started the virus
    scan for my hard disk, opened a file from my CD-RW drive and asked my
    scanner to scan one page).
    As for the +12V value, I found that is about 12.66V in steady state
    and increased to 12.92V by doing the above 3 things at the same time.
    I have to say that everytime my PSU got damaged I was not making too
    many tasks with the computer. Even once I was doing nothing. Just the
    PC was turned on. Nothing else.
    Somebody asked me if I see some damaged components or cables by
    looking at it. I do not see anything wrong with the motherboard and
    cables. When my PSUs failed in the past, nothing burnt, just the PSU
    stopped working in one second.

    What do you think? Should I measure anything else?

    Adrian

    In article <ee91c56b.0504291002.58f38acf@posting.google.com>,
    aegalperin@hotmail.com (Adrian Galperin) wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > The person who said that the onboard monitor is not accurate was
    > totally right.
    > I checked the voltages by opening the cabinet and using a digital
    > multimeter and found that the +5V value is about 4.95V with the PC
    > turned on but without working with it. This value dropped to 4.87V by
    > working doing several things at the same time (I started the virus
    > scan for my hard disk, opened a file from my CD-RW drive and asked my
    > scanner to scan one page).
    > As for the +12V value, I found that is about 12.66V in steady state
    > and increased to 12.92V by doing the above 3 things at the same time.
    > I have to say that everytime my PSU got damaged I was not making too
    > many tasks with the computer. Even once I was doing nothing. Just the
    > PC was turned on. Nothing else.
    > Somebody asked me if I see some damaged components or cables by
    > looking at it. I do not see anything wrong with the motherboard and
    > cables. When my PSUs failed in the past, nothing burnt, just the PSU
    > stopped working in one second.
    >
    > What do you think? Should I measure anything else?
    >
    > Adrian

    If you want to see the +5V voltage take a big drop, get
    a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org. Run the "torture
    test" option, then use the meter. Prime95 loads the
    processor to 100%, and should give you a good indication
    of how low the +5V will drop under worst case conditions.
    If the +5V drops below 4.75V, you need more "amps".

    I really think a more capable power supply is the answer.

    Or, change to a motherboard that powers the processor from
    the +12V rail, instead of +5V.

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Power Supplies Motherboards