cd rom drives not in my computer

hi, i noticed that my cd rom drive has vanished from my
computer, and went to device manager to see whats wrong
and the drive had an "!" mark on it. i uninstalled it and
installed it again with no luck. i thought i would try my
external plug n play usb cd rw dvd drive, but that dosent
show in my comp either and has an "!" mark next to it in
device manager. i found some info here on what sounds like
my problem: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm (section 8)
but no luck. i dont want to format my hard drive! is there
a fix for this?
Thanks
Ben

Ben, go back into Device Manager and select your cdrom drive and choose
uninstall. Also if you know
which IDE channel the drive is on Primary or Secondary uninstall the
appropriate one. Disconnect all your
USB devices and choose USB Controllers and uninstall all of them.
Restart and let XP reinstall the cdrom
drive, the usb controllers and the IDE controller.