I can help you but I am going to need a bit more information. Specifically
the name of the controller you are trying to use and who makes it. A
"dxdiag" report of your system would help too but may not necessarily be
needed.

DXDIAG:
1. Click Start -> Run
2. Type "dxdiag" without the quotes and press Ok.
3. In the DirectX Diagnostic tool click "Save All Information..."

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----