Sata adapter BIOS not executing

Hi, I hope someone can help:
I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a Serial
Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run (which
I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset on
the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking on
it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps at
all.
When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected (I
assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter and
thus doesn't know the drive is there.)

Many thx for any help you can offer
Stuart Palmer
22 answers Last reply
More about sata adapter bios executing

    In article <jGHae.5429$YF5.790@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    > Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a Serial
    > Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run (which
    > I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
    > tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset on
    > the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking on
    > it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps at
    > all.
    > When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected (I
    > assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter and
    > thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    >
    > Many thx for any help you can offer
    > Stuart Palmer

    I have read a number of posts complaining about the
    issue of adding a third party controller and trying to
    boot from it. When RAID BIOSs load early in the POST process,
    they use low memory. Apparently there are some pretty tight
    limits and what that can mean, is when a third party card is
    added to a system, there might not be enough low memory for the
    add-in card BIOS to load.

    To test this theory, you could try disabling any existing
    RAID controller(s) in the system, so that your new card is
    the only one attempting to load a BIOS. Over on forums.2cpu.com
    where using controller cards is quite common, usually only
    the boot disk controller is the only controller card that
    has its BIOS enabled. Non-boot disks work fine, as long as
    they get a driver loaded via the OS.

    Some motherboards have an entry in the BIOS called "INT 19
    capture", which is really nothing other than INT 0x13 (Asus
    uses 19 decimal notation in the manual, while everyone else
    uses 0x13 hexidecimal when talking about INTxx). INT13 services
    are apparently what is used when the OS wants the BIOS to
    read sectors for it. That should be one of the things that
    a RAID BIOS does, as well as providing a GUI interface for
    setting up disks at the BIOS level. For example, if you had
    a striped boot volume, the RAID BIOS would know the layout
    of the two disks, and would fetch the data from the right
    area of each disk during the boot process.

    So, the only thing I can suggest, is disabling the PDC20276
    via the jumper on the board, and then see if the VT6421
    RAID BIOS loads. Since your motherboard doesn't appear
    to have an "INT 19 capture" option, I don't see any option
    that might stop the VT6421 BIOS from loading.

    The second post in this thread gives some details on what
    devices chew up low memory. I didn't realize so many
    device types are responsible:

    http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?threadid=29994&highlight=loading+scsi+bios

    "Why doesn't the BIOS (Option ROM) for my PCI device show
    during boot up?

    The cause of the problem is that in order to be PC Compatible,
    the Option Rom space is limited to 128K. this is true for any
    motherboard with PC compatible BIOS'.

    In the common configurations, a newer AGP card (such as any
    GeForce4) will require 64K of Option Rom space, so you have only
    64K of Option Rom space left to work with for other devices.
    Many SCSI , NIC (w/ PXE), IDE Raid and etc., can easily use
    another 40 to 64K of Option Rom space for their needs.

    By design the Option Rom should shrink down to a smaller run
    time code after the initialization code has run. For example,
    some Adaptec cards will require 32K to initialize. Then they
    shrink down to 12K at run time; whereas some GeForce4 cards
    require 64K to initialize and never release to a smaller
    amount. Please check with the device manufacturer for the
    latest firmware upgrade or ask if they have a smaller Option
    Rom available. Again this is a limitation of the PC compatible
    specification and not a failure of the motherboard BIOS
    itself."

    The shrink down thing may mean, that if you have several controller
    cards, the slot position each one occupies may play a part in
    whether the (dynamically changing) memory map of that 128K area
    allows enough space for all "option ROM" to load. If the PDC20276
    was given an address decode somewhere in the "middle" of the
    PCI slots, then the slot position of your adapter would have made
    a difference. However, I don't think motherboards are typically
    set up that way - onboard chips are likely outside the slot space,
    with an address decode lower than or higher than, all the PCI slot
    connectors. Which means, no matter how much you move a PCI card
    around, its enumeration order might not change with respect to a
    fixed chip like the PDC20276.

    If you make any progress, please post back, as I get to read
    very few success stories when this problem happens.

    HTH,
    Paul

    There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    install procedures.
    You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the adapter
    When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third party
    drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to disconnect
    any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    problems with drive letters -

    "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a Serial
    > Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    (which
    > I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
    > tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset on
    > the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking
    on
    > it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps at
    > all.
    > When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    (I
    > assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    and
    > thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    >
    > Many thx for any help you can offer
    > Stuart Palmer

    There are instructions on the cd (but no manual) in a readme.txt file of
    which here it below:

    ----------------
    2. Install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, or Server 2003
    * Copy all files and directories from the DriverDisk folder to a
    floppy disk.
    Make sure the following directories and files are copied into the
    floppy disk.
    A:\
    \2003IA32
    VIAsprid.inf
    VIAsprid.sys
    VIAsprid.cat
    \Win2000
    VIAsprid.inf
    VIAsprid.sys
    VIAsprid.cat
    \Winnt40
    VIAsprid.inf
    VIAsprid.sys
    \WinXP
    VIAsprid.inf
    VIAsprid.sys
    VIAsprid.cat
    Txtsetup.oem
    VT6421

    * Boot system from OS installing CD-ROM.
    * Make sure VT6421 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST.
    * Press "F6" when OS installer starts running.
    * Insert floppy disk.
    * Choose the OS device driver wanted for loading.
    * Install OS.
    * Install RAID utility after OS is installed.

    ------------------
    Everything is fine except the 'Make sure VT6421 BIOS is executed by the
    system BIOS when POST.' This is what I don't think is happening and I'm
    hoping it's a setting in my ASUS bios to make this action occur.

    TIA for any more suggestions
    Stu

    "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    > install procedures.
    > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    adapter
    > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    party
    > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to disconnect
    > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    > problems with drive letters -
    >

    > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > > I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a
    Serial
    > > Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    > (which
    > > I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone
    can
    > > tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset
    on
    > > the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer
    marking
    > on
    > > it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > > The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > > http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps
    at
    > > all.
    > > When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    > (I
    > > assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    > and
    > > thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    > >
    > > Many thx for any help you can offer
    > > Stuart Palmer

    Thx Paul,
    I'll give this a try later and let you know, After buggering abotu with it
    for the last 3 days I'm a little bored and need a break. As soon as I have
    anything to report will let you know.

    Cheers
    Stu

> [...]
    >
    > The shrink down thing may mean, that if you have several controller
    > cards, the slot position each one occupies may play a part in
    > whether the (dynamically changing) memory map of that 128K area
    > allows enough space for all "option ROM" to load. If the PDC20276
    > was given an address decode somewhere in the "middle" of the
    > PCI slots, then the slot position of your adapter would have made
    > a difference. However, I don't think motherboards are typically
    > set up that way - onboard chips are likely outside the slot space,
    > with an address decode lower than or higher than, all the PCI slot
    > connectors. Which means, no matter how much you move a PCI card
    > around, its enumeration order might not change with respect to a
    > fixed chip like the PDC20276.
    >
    > If you make any progress, please post back, as I get to read
    > very few success stories when this problem happens.

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:53:14 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    >There are instructions on the cd (but no manual) in a readme.txt file of
    >which here it below:
    >
    >----------------
    >2. Install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, or Server 2003
    > * Copy all files and directories from the DriverDisk folder to a
    >floppy disk.
    > Make sure the following directories and files are copied into the
    >floppy disk.
    > A:\
    > \2003IA32
    > VIAsprid.inf
    > VIAsprid.sys
    > VIAsprid.cat
    > \Win2000
    > VIAsprid.inf
    > VIAsprid.sys
    > VIAsprid.cat
    > \Winnt40
    > VIAsprid.inf
    > VIAsprid.sys
    > \WinXP
    > VIAsprid.inf
    > VIAsprid.sys
    > VIAsprid.cat
    > Txtsetup.oem
    > VT6421
    >
    > * Boot system from OS installing CD-ROM.
    > * Make sure VT6421 BIOS is executed by the system BIOS when POST.
    > * Press "F6" when OS installer starts running.
    > * Insert floppy disk.
    > * Choose the OS device driver wanted for loading.
    > * Install OS.
    > * Install RAID utility after OS is installed.
    >
    >------------------
    >Everything is fine except the 'Make sure VT6421 BIOS is executed by the
    >system BIOS when POST.' This is what I don't think is happening and I'm
    >hoping it's a setting in my ASUS bios to make this action occur.
    >
    >TIA for any more suggestions
    >Stu

    If you intend to boot from that drive, then it must be detected during
    POST. Some SCSI cards, for example, have intelligence that prevents
    them from installing a BIOS during POST if there's no bootable device
    connected, but they still show up quite plainly, along with all their
    attached devices, during POST.

    Paul mentioned running out of memory required for that. However, my
    situation is noteworthy in that regard inasmuch as I have a PCI RAID
    controller, an AGP card, AND a SCSI card and there's no problem with
    not having enough memory (different MoBo, admittedly, but mine's older
    and more obsolescent than yours).

    I'm beginning to suspect a HARDWARE problem here.
    1 -- Have you tried reseating the controller card to make sure that
    all pins are connected?
    2 -- SATA cables are notoriously more difficult to connect securely
    than IDE cables (or any other device connectors for that matter).
    Have you cracked the case to make sure that the SATA cable is plugged
    in as securely as possible on both ends?
    3 -- Have you tried to see if the drive can be detected in another
    machine. I know that it was detected once, but that doesn't mean that
    it didn't go out immediately afterwards. This happens sometimes.
    4 -- You may well have a defective SATA controller card. If none of
    the other measures work, I think you're going to have to swap it. If
    that's necessary, I'd try not to get another no-name card.

    snip

    Ron

    It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though there is
    only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally
    separate chips.

    - Tim

    "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    > install procedures.
    > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    > adapter
    > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    > party
    > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to disconnect
    > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    > problems with drive letters -
    >

    > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I hope someone can help:
    >> I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a
    >> Serial
    >> Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    > (which
    >> I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
    >> tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset
    >> on
    >> the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking
    > on
    >> it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    >> The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    >> http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps
    >> at
    >> all.
    >> When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    > (I
    >> assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    > and
    >> thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    >>
    >> Many thx for any help you can offer
    >> Stuart Palmer

    Tim,
    There are two Sata connectors each side of the IDE one on the image
    (Same as mine).
    If the drive isn't 'Bootable' how do I get the machine to detect my new
    drive? I have this HD I'm using now, with win2K on but when I have installed
    thr drivers for the 'Raid controller' that is detected, and leave the card
    in, the mahine hangs at the win2K bootup screen (with about 4 block to go) I
    have the remove the SATA card and then it boots up fine.

    From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested that
    I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios for
    my HDD.

    Cheers for any more advice
    Stu

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:d4fqm4$v82$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    > It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    > The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though there
    is
    > only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally
    > separate chips.
    >
    > - Tim
    >
    > "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    > > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    > > install procedures.
    > > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    > > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    > > adapter
    > > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    > > party
    > > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    > > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to
    disconnect
    > > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    > > problems with drive letters -
    > >

    > > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > >> I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a
    > >> Serial
    > >> Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    > > (which
    > >> I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone
    can
    > >> tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset
    > >> on
    > >> the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer
    marking
    > > on
    > >> it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > >> The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > >> http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps
    > >> at
    > >> all.
    > >> When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not
    detected
    > > (I
    > >> assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata
    adapter
    > > and
    > >> thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    > >>
    > >> Many thx for any help you can offer
    > >> Stuart Palmer

    The Adapter may be identified as scsi on the mobo. bios
    You might want to check your new adapter web site for updated driver, and
    possibly updated firmware

    > Tim,
    > There are two Sata connectors each side of the IDE one on the image
    > (Same as mine).
    > If the drive isn't 'Bootable' how do I get the machine to detect my
    new
    > drive? I have this HD I'm using now, with win2K on but when I have
    installed
    > thr drivers for the 'Raid controller' that is detected, and leave the card
    > in, the mahine hangs at the win2K bootup screen (with about 4 block to go)
    > have the remove the SATA card and then it boots up fine.
    >
    > From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    > onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested
    that
    > I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    > 'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    > know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios for
    > my HDD.
    >
    > Cheers for any more advice
    > Stu
    >
    > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    > > The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though there
    > is
    > > only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally
    > > separate chips.
    > >
    > > - Tim
    > >
    > > "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    > > > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have
    different
    > > > install procedures.
    > > > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    > > > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    > > > adapter
    > > > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    > > > party
    > > > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start
    again.
    > > > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to
    > disconnect
    > > > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can
    avoid
    > > > problems with drive letters -
    > > >

    > > > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > > > (which
    > can
    > marking
    > > > on
    > detected
    > > > (I
    > adapter
    > > > and

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:40:13 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    >Tim,
    > There are two Sata connectors each side of the IDE one on the image
    >(Same as mine).
    > If the drive isn't 'Bootable' how do I get the machine to detect my new
    >drive? I have this HD I'm using now, with win2K on but when I have installed
    >thr drivers for the 'Raid controller' that is detected, and leave the card
    >in, the mahine hangs at the win2K bootup screen (with about 4 block to go) I
    >have the remove the SATA card and then it boots up fine.

    A little clarification please. In your original post, you stated that
    you were trying to install an OS, but you didn't tell us what you're
    really trying to do with this card and drive. Did you mean that you
    were trying to REinstall Windows 2K or were you trying to install a
    second OS for dual boot?

    Also, if you're trying to install an OS (as you said), Mr.Grumpy
    already pointed out the fact that you need to hit F6 and feed that
    driver disk to the setup program, but you never told us if you'd tried
    that.

    If there's a "'Raid controller' that is detected," and you've
    installed a driver, have you, in fact, created an array of any kind?

    What's the brand and model of the card? Have you checked the
    manufacturer's Web site for a new driver and to make sure it's
    compatible with your MB, Windows 2K, your SATA drive, and to see if
    they've an updated driver?

    Lastly, you've stated that the new controller card's BIOS doesn't
    install, but you haven't stated that the drive is never recognized
    during POST. Is the drive, in fact, totally unrecognized, even before
    you get into Windows 2K? You mentioned that there is RAID controller
    recognized; WHERE is it recognized, in the POST or in the OS?

    >From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    >onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested that
    >I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    >'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    >know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios for
    >my HDD.
    >
    >Cheers for any more advice
    >Stu
    >
    >"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:d4fqm4$v82$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
    >> It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    >> The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though there
    >is
    >> only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally
    >> separate chips.
    >>
    >> - Tim
    >>
    >> "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    >> > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    >> > install procedures.
    >> > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    >> > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    >> > adapter
    >> > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    >> > party
    >> > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    >> > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to
    >disconnect
    >> > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    >> > problems with drive letters -
    >> >

    >> > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    >> > (which
    >can
    >marking
    >> > on
    >detected
    >> > (I
    >adapter
    >> > and

    Ron

    Thx Milleron, I'll try to give more info.

    Task - Trying to upgrade to winXP (so after I have completed this will
    reformat the win2K drive for storage).

    When Hitting F6 during the install procedure I can select my raid
    controlelr, but then xp installer doesn't display my new drive.
    I haven't created an array, I have no idea how to do this.
    I also have no idea of the brand of the card, but visually appears to be the
    same as the ebuyer image I stated earlier (which indicate it's a microsol
    one (on ebuyers site), however, the chip set and driver disk that came
    withit indicates it's an VIA VT6421. When I initially booted up in win2k
    with this card in, it detected it, I installed thr driver, but now the
    machine hangs during the bootup process at the win2K screen (Just trying
    different ways to get it to work).

    I can't find the new 120gb western digital (WD1200JD) drive being detected
    this is what my initial post was about, I imagine I should get a BIOS sata
    drive detection message on the screen that detects the drive, I think this
    is what is not happening, thus causing all my other problems (i.e drive not
    being foudn in XP installtion process even though I have selected the 3rd
    party driver.

    Does this information help at all? I am totally stuck now. If I try to run
    the machine up in win2K with the driver installed, the machine hangs, if I
    just try to install XP on this new Sata drive the machine doesn't detect it,
    but the fact that win2K detected the card makes me think the cardis working,
    just not initallising properly when initially booting.

    Cheers for your help with this one,
    Stu

    "milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >
    > >From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    > >onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested
    that
    > >I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    > >'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    > >know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios
    for
    > >my HDD.
    > >
    > >Cheers for any more advice
    > >Stu
    > >
    > >"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > >> It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    > >> The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though
    there
    > >is
    > >> only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally

    I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the card - I do know it's
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7035779999&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66755
    this unit (visually), it's using the VIA VT5421 chipset (printed on one of
    the chips)

    I tried to set my boot device as a SCSI controller, but this didn't detect
    the drive either in the XP and in win2K (when I put in my win2K drive that I
    am using now to get on the WWW, it hangs up when I'm booting unless I remove
    the card.

    :o/

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:07:26 GMT, "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com>
    wrote:

    >Thx Milleron, I'll try to give more info.
    >
    >Task - Trying to upgrade to winXP (so after I have completed this will
    >reformat the win2K drive for storage).
    >
    >When Hitting F6 during the install procedure I can select my raid
    >controlelr, but then xp installer doesn't display my new drive.

    This may have no bearing whatsoever regarding you board, but if the
    board bios has an enable/disable function for 1394, it might have to be set to
    'enabled', whether or not you have a 1394 device.

    On trying to install XP on a sata drive utilising the built in Promise
    controller on a K8V SE Del. board, the drive was not seen until the setting for
    1394 was set to 'enabled' (discovered by accident - beginner's luck).

    I believe my asus bios setting for 1394 is already enabled :o( Or is this a
    setting on the Sata adapter? if so, any ideas how you access/flash the bios
    on a sata adapter card? I wonder if this could be my problem.

    Cheers
    Stu

    <jb@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:07:26 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thx Milleron, I'll try to give more info.
    > >
    > >Task - Trying to upgrade to winXP (so after I have completed this will
    > >reformat the win2K drive for storage).
    > >
    > >When Hitting F6 during the install procedure I can select my raid
    > >controlelr, but then xp installer doesn't display my new drive.
    > >

    > This may have no bearing whatsoever regarding you board, but if the
    > board bios has an enable/disable function for 1394, it might have to be
    set to
    > 'enabled', whether or not you have a 1394 device.
    >
    > On trying to install XP on a sata drive utilising the built in Promise
    > controller on a K8V SE Del. board, the drive was not seen until the
    setting for
    > 1394 was set to 'enabled' (discovered by accident - beginner's luck).

    If the controller is suitable then you should see the disc drive enumerated
    at some time during the boot.For a pure SATA (IE non RAID) controller there
    may be no configuration at all, no jumpers on the PCI card and everything
    should just work - in this case the steps you are taking with the bios are
    correct since jut 'cos you have one of these cards you may or may not want
    to boot off it.

    A bootable add-in controller has to provide a means for the BIOS to 'see' it
    and so know to include it as an option for booting. This happens via the
    BIOS extensions mentioned on the card (if they are there) - I read once that
    they place a fingerprint in there own memory of hexadecimal 0xAA55 for the
    bios to see and so to know to call an initialise function - this function
    then hooks into the BIOS own Disc Boot code so it becomes included.

    The 'least cost' controllers don't come with boot ability. They are intended
    for use as add in cards for already running systems. They can be accessed
    only by drivers installed at run time.

    Do you have any other SATA ports on the system? If so I would use one of
    those.

    What is the make and model of the PCI card?

    - Tim

    "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > Tim,
    > There are two Sata connectors each side of the IDE one on the image
    > (Same as mine).
    > If the drive isn't 'Bootable' how do I get the machine to detect my new
    > drive? I have this HD I'm using now, with win2K on but when I have
    > installed
    > thr drivers for the 'Raid controller' that is detected, and leave the card
    > in, the mahine hangs at the win2K bootup screen (with about 4 block to go)
    > have the remove the SATA card and then it boots up fine.
    >
    > From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    > onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested
    > that
    > I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    > 'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    > know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios for
    > my HDD.
    >
    > Cheers for any more advice
    > Stu
    >
    > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    >> The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though there
    > is
    >> only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally
    >> separate chips.
    >>
    >> - Tim
    >>
    >> "MrGrumpy" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
    >> > There were no instructions included? differing manu. may have different
    >> > install procedures.
    >> > You need to create a Serial driver floppy disk
    >> > You may have to alter/set the boot order in the bios, to detect the
    >> > adapter
    >> > When starting o/s installation there is an F6 option to install third
    >> > party
    >> > drivers ( serial driver) if you miss this you will have to start again.
    >> > BTW It may be an idea, if installing o/s on the new serial, to
    > disconnect
    >> > any other pata devices, other than cd, untill o/s installed - can avoid
    >> > problems with drive letters -
    >> >

    >> > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    >> > (which
    > can
    > marking
    >> > on
    > detected
    >> > (I
    > adapter
    >> > and

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Mercury,
    i think this is exactly what is not happening, I'm not seeing this drive
    enermation process when booting up the machine.
    I am not understanding when you mention 'This happens via the BIOS
    extensions mentioned on the card (if they are there)'. Is this something I
    need to install?

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=7035779999&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66755
    this appears to be my card, I have no other Sata ports, my P4b-533 is about
    4+ years old now, and I didn't want the expense of having to get a new
    motherboard.

    Does that help answer your questions?

    Cheers again
    Stu

    "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > >
    > > From a conv I have had with a friend, usually the Sata adapter has an
    > > onboard BIOS and that initiates after the system bios, but he suggested
    > > that
    > > I may have to mess about with the BIOS, I set my primary Boot item as
    > > 'Other/onboard boot device' but still my new HDD isn't detected, i don't
    > > know fi there are other items I need to switch in the main system bios
    for
    > > my HDD.
    > >
    > > Cheers for any more advice
    > > Stu
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
    > >> It may not have bios extensions and may not be bootable.
    > >> The image linked to is too small to tell, but it appears as though
    there
    > > is
    > >> only significant 1 IC on the card - bios rom's / eeprom's are normally

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Latest news on this one:

    1) Put the card and drive in a part built P2 400 p2b motherboard machine,
    detected first time and appears listed when starting to install XP. So I am
    happy the card and drive are actually o.k.
    2) Put the card back in my p4b533 machine and it was detected and the BIOS
    for the adapter has run once, but never again.

    I don't get why this would be, nothing has changed. I haven't touched the
    system bios or anything.

    I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem (i.e the devices _do_ work, but
    currently not on the system I want it to).

    Any more ideas on this new info?

    Cheers
    Stu

    "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a Serial
    > Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    (which
    > I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
    > tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset on
    > the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking
    on
    > it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps at
    > all.
    > When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    (I
    > assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    and
    > thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    >
    > Many thx for any help you can offer
    > Stuart Palmer

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I had a problem trying to install an Adaptec 2410SA in an A78NX deluxe
    rev2 - it would be detected, hd's identified but building array would result
    in 'freeze' then on reboot card bios wouldn't load.
    Adaptec tech. suggested updating Firmware but still no joy. Eventually
    Adaptec concluded the card/mobo was incompatible. There were known issues
    with certain mobos, but their list was'nt complete.
    Card seemed to function fine on another sys.

    > Latest news on this one:
    >
    > 1) Put the card and drive in a part built P2 400 p2b motherboard machine,
    > detected first time and appears listed when starting to install XP. So I
    am
    > happy the card and drive are actually o.k.
    > 2) Put the card back in my p4b533 machine and it was detected and the BIOS
    > for the adapter has run once, but never again.
    >
    > I don't get why this would be, nothing has changed. I haven't touched the
    > system bios or anything.
    >
    > I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem (i.e the devices _do_ work, but
    > currently not on the system I want it to).
    >
    > Any more ideas on this new info?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Stu
    >
    > "Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I hope someone can help:
    > > I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a
    Serial
    > > Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    > (which
    > > I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone
    can
    > > tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset
    on
    > > the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer
    marking
    > on
    > > it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    > > The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    > > http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps
    at
    > > all.
    > > When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    > (I
    > > assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    > and
    > > thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    > >
    > > Many thx for any help you can offer
    > > Stuart Palmer

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <h_abe.7592$5A3.6799@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    > Latest news on this one:
    >
    > 1) Put the card and drive in a part built P2 400 p2b motherboard machine,
    > detected first time and appears listed when starting to install XP. So I am
    > happy the card and drive are actually o.k.
    > 2) Put the card back in my p4b533 machine and it was detected and the BIOS
    > for the adapter has run once, but never again.
    >
    > I don't get why this would be, nothing has changed. I haven't touched the
    > system bios or anything.
    >
    > I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem (i.e the devices _do_ work, but
    > currently not on the system I want it to).
    >
    > Any more ideas on this new info?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Stu

    That is a good sign :-)

    I mean the part about getting the BIOS for the adapter to run...

    At the BIOS level, the three kinds of persistent information
    that I know about, are CMOS RAM (battery backed memory usually
    located inside the Southbridge), and DMI/ESCD data (stored near the
    end of the BIOS, in the BIOS flash chip).

    Clearing the CMOS is pretty straight forward. Always unplug
    the computer first, before proceeding. There should be a procedure
    in the user manual, and sometimes a critical detail is wrong in
    there, so Google for any user feedback on the procedure. Look for
    CLRTC in the manual.

    In terms of the CMOS, I don't recollect any accounts of adapter
    cards having anything to do with the CMOS memory. I would expect,
    like everything in life, that certain parts of the CMOS are pretty
    standard, and if there is any storage space left over, some BIOS
    code (or even OS/application code) might mess with it.

    The ESCD function seems to involve the BIOS caching details about
    hardware discovered in the last POST. Why these details would be
    of any use to the BIOS, is unclear to me, as I think the BIOS
    compares the ESCD on every POST anyway.

    A similar function is DMI. I think this at one time, had to do
    with corporate resource management, and this BIOS function/interface
    would return details about the hardware in the machine. I suppose
    this would allow the boss to track whether on one day, your
    computer had three DIMMs in it, and on the next, only two
    DIMMs.

    Looking in your manual, Asus Probe seems to have an Information
    tab, and the term "DMI Explorer" is used in the manual. You
    might try looking at that panel of info, to see if the card
    is recognized in any way. Not that it is going to help you
    or anything.

    When you flash a BIOS from Asus, the DMI and ESCD area can
    be erased. (Actually, some flashing tools offer options as
    to whether the main BIOS code is flashed, the DMI/ESCD is
    erased, and/or the Boot Block code is updated.) On the first
    POST, the BIOS is going to store info on there, which means
    if you make an immediate backup copy of the BIOS image at
    that time, the backup copy will again be different from the
    file used to flash.

    If you want to play with DMI/ESCD, you could make an archive
    copy of your current BIOS image, then compare it in a hex editor,
    to see how the "clean" BIOS image from Asus, for that revision
    of BIOS, compares to what is currently stored in the BIOS. By
    making a backup copy, you aren't taking any risks with flash
    upgrades.

    Some BIOS used to have a setting, which would request the
    ESCD to be redone on the next POST. After a reboot, the POST
    operation would clear the request flag and rewrite the ESCD.
    That function seems to have disappeared in more modern
    motherboards.

    Some BIOS place an error message on the screen and use
    the word "NVRAM". I'm guessing this is the CMOS battery
    backed memory, but have never seen any official confirmation
    they are the same thing.

    So, that is a review of the persistent store I know about
    at the BIOS level. Perhaps you can dig into those areas
    and have a look around. I cannot imagine how any of these
    would prevent the RAID BIOS from loading, but maybe you'll
    figure something out. If this does not involve a persistent
    store of info, then how is the BIOS ignoring the card
    on a second boot ? That info has to be stored somewhere
    within the reach of the BIOS code.

    For more fun, you can visit here. Type in "VT6421" and see
    what pops up. So far, I haven't been too impressed with
    some of the answers, but perhaps you can get a general
    impression of whether this is the product for you or
    not:

    http://forums.viaarena.com/search.aspx

    HTH,
    Paul
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    <snip>

    Detected once only? I would now check the PCI bus clock settings and make
    sure it is set correctly. Perhaps try a slightly slow setting just as a
    test.

    In the past Paul has suggested that if you get no joy out of default
    settings, sometimes manually setting a parameter to the correct value can
    work. Many motherboards are marginally overclocked - your SATA card may not
    be enjoying this.

    SATA controllers are reputed for requiring Stock Design speed settings.

    - Tim
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:50:53 GMT, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    >Latest news on this one:
    >
    >1) Put the card and drive in a part built P2 400 p2b motherboard machine,
    >detected first time and appears listed when starting to install XP. So I am
    >happy the card and drive are actually o.k.
    >2) Put the card back in my p4b533 machine and it was detected and the BIOS
    >for the adapter has run once, but never again.
    >
    >I don't get why this would be, nothing has changed. I haven't touched the
    >system bios or anything.
    >
    >I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem (i.e the devices _do_ work, but
    >currently not on the system I want it to).
    In fact you've proven that it's not a hardware problem, UNLESS it's a
    particular kind of hardware problem -- namely, hardware
    incompatibility between your MoBo and that controller card. On my old
    A7M266, for example, there were certain NICs that one simply could not
    use. They'd work in other machines but not on that particular board.
    The only way to rule that out is to find others who've experienced
    similar problems or get a duplicate board and see if it also fails to
    install a BIOS at POST.

    >Any more ideas on this new info?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Stu
    >
    >"Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I hope someone can help:
    >> I have an ASUS P4b533-E motherboard and I have recently purchased a Serial
    >> Ata drive and adpater, on bootup the Serial Adapter Bios does not run
    >(which
    >> I believe should occur similar to a SCSI adapter) I am hoping someone can
    >> tell me if I need to alter anything in the BIOS). I believe the chipset on
    >> the adapter is a VIA VT6421 though I cannot find any manufacturer marking
    >on
    >> it. I flashed my system BIOS to 1014 with no success.
    >> The adapter looks like the one on ebuyer -
    >> http://image.ebuyer.com/UK/P0066755_C0000035_P0000000.jpg if that helps at
    >> all.
    >> When gettng to the stage of installing the OS, the drive is not detected
    >(I
    >> assume this is because my system bios does not recognise my sata adapter
    >and
    >> thus doesn't know the drive is there.)
    >>
    >> Many thx for any help you can offer
    >> Stuart Palmer

    Ron
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick update to say thx.
    As Paul suggested my last hope was to clear the cmos by looking in the
    manual for CLRTC and doing as described, I did this and hey presto, it just
    worked!

    Thx again for all your suggestions, I hope this will help others
    troubleshoot similar problems if they come accross them

    Cheers
    Stu
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <426f401b_1@x-privat.org>, "Stuart Palmer"
    <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,
    > Just a quick update to say thx.
    > As Paul suggested my last hope was to clear the cmos by looking in the
    > manual for CLRTC and doing as described, I did this and hey presto, it just
    > worked!
    >
    > Thx again for all your suggestions, I hope this will help others
    > troubleshoot similar problems if they come accross them
    >
    > Cheers
    > Stu

    Finally, a success story :-)

    Paul