DVD drive, XP now doesnt recognise my old drive

lee

I got a n new DVD writer this morning. its running
perfect and installed like a charm.

My problem now though is, my computer doesn't recognise
my old drive, why?!

My old drive is connected with the power cable (the
usually white plastic holding red, yellow and black
cables) and also the ribbon connecter too. (the same
ribbon cable as my new drive. but obviously a different
port along it.)

So they are both connected the same, and the drive
physically works. I can open it, and it whirrs when discs
are in in, but no recognition from windows. Have tried
add new hardware etc but no joy.

Any advice? Feel free to email me at bravobro@msn.com

Recheck the jumper settings on both drives. The installation
instructions should address the "master drive" "slave drive" issues.

Lee wrote:

> I got a n new DVD writer this morning. its running
> perfect and installed like a charm.
>
> My problem now though is, my computer doesn't recognise
> my old drive, why?!
>
> My old drive is connected with the power cable (the
> usually white plastic holding red, yellow and black
> cables) and also the ribbon connecter too. (the same
> ribbon cable as my new drive. but obviously a different
> port along it.)
>
> So they are both connected the same, and the drive
> physically works. I can open it, and it whirrs when discs
> are in in, but no recognition from windows. Have tried
> add new hardware etc but no joy.
>
> Any advice? Feel free to email me at bravobro@msn.com

Follow up to Bob's suggestion:

Ideally, both drives should be set to CS (Cable Select). If that
doesn't work, try setting the drive attached to the middle IDE ribbon
connector to Slave, and the drive attached to the end IDE ribbon
connector to Master.

Recheck that all data and power cables are properly seated.

In your box's BIOS make sure all IDE slots are set to AUTO (or
whatever the equivalent is in your BIOS) and not NONE.

Also - doubtful if you have a recent box, but I have seen this cause
similar issues when new H/W is added: make sure your box's power
supply is adequate for all the components you have installed.

Good luck,

---
Papaboojum

lee

Hi there

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

How do I go about making these slave etc changes? Are
they physical switches on the drives/inside the case? Or
changes made through some setting in windows?

Thanks, Lee

First, I assume we're talking about ATA or IDE drives (not S-ATA,
SCSI, etc). There are jumpers on the drive units - usually on the
same end as the data and power connectors - that select whether they
are the Master or Slave on the IDE channel they are attached to.
These jumpers are typically labelled MS, SL and CS for Master, Slave
and Cable Select. In the "Old Days"(tm) you had to specifically set
the jumpers depending on which IDE connector you were attaching them
(end connector = Master, middle connector = Slave). These days most
controllers and drives support Cable Select which auto detects which
position the drive is in.

If you have a recent mobo and/or controller, I would recommend making
sure all your IDE devices are set to Cable Select. That way you don't
have to really worry if/when you move drives around.

Both your hard drives and the DVD writer will have these jumpers,
again assuming there all ATA/IDE.

Also as I mentioned double check the BIOS settings.

---
Papaboojum

Len

Near where the power/data plugs connect on the rear of your drive you will
find sets of pins on above the other. If you are fortunate they should be
labeled with a "C", "S" and "M". The previous poster suggest using your
small "jumper" (usually a plastic "U" shaped piece with copper internal
connectors) to connect the two vertically aligned pins under "C" for Cable
select.

You can also use the "M" setting for your Master device (the one on the very
end of the cable) and "S" setting for the one attached to the connector
mid-way on the cable. Hopefully this is all you need to do! Your previous
device was probably jumpered to master when it was by its self and it is
possible that your new drive may be labeled the same. Although often times
Optical Drives are factory jumpered as slave.

Hopefully setting the jumpers correctly will solve the problem. Remember
not to mix settings! If one drive is set as "C" then both drives must be.
If one is set as "M" then the other must be "S".

Good Luck,