AMD AthlonXP 3000 [2.17GHZ 333] and asus a7n8x deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 24, 2005 11:45:02 AM

Hello,
Will the above combination work together, or could someone recommend a better
combination at 333Mhz please?

mtia
#
T.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2005 5:38:01 PM

Toby wrote:
> Hello,
> Will the above combination work together, or could someone recommend a better
> combination at 333Mhz please?

Yeah, they'll work.

Any of the Bartons will go in there nicely, unless it's an old one (pre
rev 2). Even then, a BIOS update might sort that.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2005 6:38:19 PM

Toby wrote:
> Hello,
> Will the above combination work together, or could someone recommend
> a better combination at 333Mhz please?

I am running this combination right now.
Related resources
April 24, 2005 6:38:20 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:38:19 +0200, "Egil Solberg" <egilso@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Toby wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Will the above combination work together, or could someone recommend
>> a better combination at 333Mhz please?

Thank you both for your replies. I have been out and bought the cpu and
installed it in my system and it is showing as an XP 3000 in the bios but my ddr
333Mhz ram is showing as 200 single, is that right? If it isn't, how can I set
it correctly please?

#
T.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2005 6:39:48 PM

Toby wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:38:19 +0200, "Egil Solberg" <egilso@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Toby wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>Will the above combination work together, or could someone recommend
>>>a better combination at 333Mhz please?
>

> Thank you both for your replies. I have been out and bought the cpu and
> installed it in my system and it is showing as an XP 3000 in the bios but my ddr
> 333Mhz ram is showing as 200 single, is that right? If it isn't, how can I set
> it correctly please?

200 what?

If you have DDR333 (166MHz, PC2700) RAM, then you will want to run it at
100% of the FSB frequency. This shoudl give you a rather nice boost in
memory bandwidth.

At a guess, I would say that your ram is at 100MHz (DDR200), or 60% of
the FSB.

In addition, if it is running "single" (channel, presumably) then I have
to ask if you have 1 or 2 DIMMS? If you have 2, put them in slot 1 and
3, or the the slot closest to, and furthest from, the CPU. That may get
you in Dual Channel, and a small boost in memory bandwidth.

After all this playing around, it might be a good idea to run memtest86+
http://www.memtest.org/

Ben
April 24, 2005 6:39:49 PM

I have it now running at 100% ie 166Mhz. Thank you. I also tried using banks 1 &
3 (I have 2 x 512Mb Corsair Ram) but the system then won't boot, so I reverted
to banks 1 & 2, I assume that bank 3 could be faulty?

Thanks again,

'
T.

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:39:48 +0100, Ben Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com>
wrote:

>If you have DDR333 (166MHz, PC2700) RAM, then you will want to run it at
>100% of the FSB frequency. This shoudl give you a rather nice boost in
>memory bandwidth.
>
>At a guess, I would say that your ram is at 100MHz (DDR200), or 60% of
>the FSB.
>
>In addition, if it is running "single" (channel, presumably) then I have
>to ask if you have 1 or 2 DIMMS? If you have 2, put them in slot 1 and
>3, or the the slot closest to, and furthest from, the CPU. That may get
>you in Dual Channel, and a small boost in memory bandwidth.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2005 8:19:39 PM

Toby wrote:
> I have it now running at 100% ie 166Mhz. Thank you. I also tried using banks 1 &
> 3 (I have 2 x 512Mb Corsair Ram) but the system then won't boot, so I reverted
> to banks 1 & 2, I assume that bank 3 could be faulty?

It's possible, but unlikely.

Some people report problems with Dual Channel, but it always worked fine
for me (Corsair TwinX1024-3200LL) on my A7N8X Deluxe.

There's not a great performance boost from Dual Channel on an nForce2 in
most situations, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You can try a little more DIMM Voltage (up to say, 2.7V) to see if it
helps. Not much point in reducing the timings to get Dual Channel
though, unless you have a LOT of DMA IO going on (like integrated graphics).

Ben