System restore not working

August 25, 2004 9:49:14 AM

My system restore is not working It is turned on but i get
an errot message that it has encountered a problem & needs
to close. The error message that is sent to Microsoft has
a lot of data so there is no way i can detect what went wrong.

How do I get System restore to work again without
re-installing XP Home & messing up all my prevous settings
and service packs.

More about : system restore working

August 26, 2004 2:33:53 PM

You may not get it to work without at least a maintenance reinstall.
However, what you can try is completely turning off system restore on all
drives, restarting your computer and restart monitoring. Before doing this
you might want to use the Disk Clean-up applet to remove all but the latest
restore point.

Note that this operation will cause you to loose all previous restore
points! If you do not want to do this then the option is not for you. I
have a feeling that you may have contracted a virus/worm/trojan that is
either infesting your current system or one (or more) of the previous
restore points.

FWIW, Len

!