XPsp2 made my CD-RW into CD-ROM

My memorex 48MAXX 2448aj CD-RW worked great until I
upgraded to xpsp2. Now the CD writer wizard is gone, and
CD-RW is not recognized as writer, only ROM. I tried to
use artcle at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
kbid=316529
but there is no drives key or GUID volume id to turn back
into write mode. I have re-installed driver, installed new
via board atapi drivers etc with no luck. According to
nero, the info I get is:
Driver : atapi.sys
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-
2158)
Thus I assume msft atapi.sys is faulty. Only good news is
that old INCD program still knows it's cd-rw. Any help out
there please??

More info:
There is no recognition of a cd-rw drive from any msft
program (media player, movie player, etc -"no device
detected"). But nero can write no problem.

Right click device>properties shows no record tab options-
it shows as CD-ROM

I only installed nero that came with cd after this problem
started today after sp2 upgrade. Before that, xp cd wizard
was all I needed. Install/reinstall of nero is of no help.
The cd-rw came with no windows drivers as it is IDE/atapi -
xp shows the correct hardware model, says its working
properly etc. I think the registry got changed some how,
as the drives key doesn't show up.

If INCD still thinks that it is a CDRW, that would suggest that SP2 has not
downgraded the cd unit.. try uninstalling and re-installing Nero..

"kendal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My memorex 48MAXX 2448aj CD-RW worked great until I
> upgraded to xpsp2. Now the CD writer wizard is gone, and
> CD-RW is not recognized as writer, only ROM. I tried to
> use artcle at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
> kbid=316529
> but there is no drives key or GUID volume id to turn back
> into write mode. I have re-installed driver, installed new
> via board atapi drivers etc with no luck. According to
> nero, the info I get is:
> Driver : atapi.sys
> Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
> Company : Microsoft Corporation
> Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-
> 2158)
> Thus I assume msft atapi.sys is faulty. Only good news is
> that old INCD program still knows it's cd-rw. Any help out
> there please??

Its working now!! As far as I can tell, the regclean
program or one of the other reg fix programs I ran seems
to have corrected the drive key in the registry so now it
looks normal. Next I used the procedure from

to change number from 3(CD_ROM) to 2 (CD_RW)

its working now - some advice to everyone--- back up your
registry with regedit before upgrading to xp, not to
restore but to copy reg keys that may need tweaking.

Cheers!

thought it was working, but when you go to burn with xp cd
wizard, it hangs on "please insert a cd-rw", and pays no
attention when you do. This error has been reported
previously. Now I know the pattern - the error eventually
causes xp to change the cd writer to a cd-rom because it
can't write to it.

MSFT needs to fix the errors in the new xpsp2 atapi.sys,
cdrom.sys drivers as there seems to be an epidemic of cd
player errors.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you right click on the CDRW drive go to properties and in the recording
tab check the box "Enable CD recording on this drive"

any good ??
Neil
"kendal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My memorex 48MAXX 2448aj CD-RW worked great until I
> upgraded to xpsp2. Now the CD writer wizard is gone, and
> CD-RW is not recognized as writer, only ROM. I tried to
> use artcle at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
> kbid=316529
> but there is no drives key or GUID volume id to turn back
> into write mode. I have re-installed driver, installed new
> via board atapi drivers etc with no luck. According to
> nero, the info I get is:
> Driver : atapi.sys
> Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
> Company : Microsoft Corporation
> Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-
> 2158)
> Thus I assume msft atapi.sys is faulty. Only good news is
> that old INCD program still knows it's cd-rw. Any help out
> there please??

Len

Try this if you feel comfortable doing it... it can be a risk if you are not
sure how. Once when I was trying to get a lean and mean registry I used
several registry cleaners that ended up being far more problem then they
were worth. Any way one off shot was a situation simular to yours. There
was no recording tab under the properties for my CD burner (a Plextor unit).
This assumes of course that your burner's properties does not contain the
recording tab.

What solved it for me was to re-flash the firmware on my Plextor unit. XP
found it as a new device and set it up as if it were. From that point on
there was no further problem with the drive. This was long before SP2. The
drives (have a DVD-RW by NEC as well) continue to work as expected except
that one needs to make sure that only one of the drives is designated for
burning with XP's built in burning SW. If you have both drives with a check
in the use this device for burning (SIC) it does confuse the system.

Again, use at your own risk! Flashing firmware incorrectly can cause your
drive to become unusable!

Good Luck,
Len

> thought it was working, but when you go to burn with xp cd
> wizard, it hangs on "please insert a cd-rw", and pays no
> attention when you do. This error has been reported
> previously. Now I know the pattern - the error eventually
> causes xp to change the cd writer to a cd-rom because it
> can't write to it.
>
> MSFT needs to fix the errors in the new xpsp2 atapi.sys,
> cdrom.sys drivers as there seems to be an epidemic of cd
> player errors.

Took your advice, Len and burned new firmware into the cd-
rw. Using some great info at
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55481
the burn worked like a charm. Now my 48maxx memorex is a
lite-on 52x with the very latest firmware!!
Nero likes it too. Drive speed is 52 or close enough, only
bad news is that windows xpsp2 still shows it as a cd-rom
even after uninstall, re-install, regedit, re-install sp2
etc.
So now more than ever, I know it's an XP software glitch
that keeps turning it back into cd-rom.