Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CD Rom vanished from my computer!!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 25, 2004 12:51:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive still
opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even sure
how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.

thanks for your time! ;) 

More about : rom vanished computer

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:57:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi I have just obtained the same problem. I don't know what to do either. The
device appears to be there on my computer but as soon as I downloaded the
system updates it won't read any Discs its as though there is no mdisc
inserted.

Please help thanks

"Kriss" wrote:

> Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
> drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
> computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive still
> opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
> either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
> previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even sure
> how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
> HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.
>
> thanks for your time! ;) 
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

----
Nathan McNulty


Hi everyone wrote:
> Hi I have just obtained the same problem. I don't know what to do either. The
> device appears to be there on my computer but as soon as I downloaded the
> system updates it won't read any Discs its as though there is no mdisc
> inserted.
>
> Please help thanks
>
> "Kriss" wrote:
>
>
>>Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
>>drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
>>computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive still
>>opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
>>either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
>>previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even sure
>>how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
>>HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.
>>
>>thanks for your time! ;) 
Related resources
August 25, 2004 3:33:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

This pc has always had xp on it...this seems to have something to do with the
service pack2 that was installed yesterday...I would just say screw it and
reformat but I cant even get the drives to read a disk now, even after
removing that service pack.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Try this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
>
> Hi everyone wrote:
> > Hi I have just obtained the same problem. I don't know what to do either. The
> > device appears to be there on my computer but as soon as I downloaded the
> > system updates it won't read any Discs its as though there is no mdisc
> > inserted.
> >
> > Please help thanks
> >
> > "Kriss" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
> >>drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
> >>computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive still
> >>opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
> >>either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
> >>previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even sure
> >>how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
> >>HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.
> >>
> >>thanks for your time! ;) 
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 9:29:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))


Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website


CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060


(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)




--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

"Kriss" <Kriss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5617CB93-CC0C-4AED-8645-CC3F0E757444@microsoft.com...
> Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
> drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
> computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive
> still
> opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
> either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
> previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even
> sure
> how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
> HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.
>
> thanks for your time! ;) 
August 25, 2004 9:29:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

it didn't work, but THANK YOU for trying. Im on the phone w/tech now...if i
find out how to fix this maybe I will post it in case anyone else needs this.

any other suggestions????

thanks again!!!! ;) 

"Jason Tsang" wrote:

> Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
> Run the provided registry patch
>
> That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
> non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
> references for your cdrom(s))
>
>
> Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
> website
>
>
> CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
> or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060
>
>
> (It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)
>
>
>
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Kriss" <Kriss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5617CB93-CC0C-4AED-8645-CC3F0E757444@microsoft.com...
> > Yesterday my windows update installed the SP2 and then my cd rom and dvd
> > drives pretty much vanished in front of my eyes when I opened up 'my
> > computer'. One second I could see them , next I couldn't. The dvd drive
> > still
> > opens(but nothing happens) but the cd rom doesn't open at all. I cant find
> > either in my device manager, so I decided I would restore the system to a
> > previous date to try and fix this...it didn't work either. I'm not even
> > sure
> > how I will restore and recover if I can't use these disks to do it.
> > HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! Everything else seems to be working except this.
> >
> > thanks for your time! ;) 
>
>
>
!