DVD and mini discs

Arthur

I have recently taken up a camcorder(Sony) with mini DVDs. I have installed
a DVD burner and have a DVD ROM, but neither see the mini DVDs. They both
work with standard DVDs and CDs. The mini DVDs work OK on other machines.
Logic says it is nothing to do with the drives. Any offers?
--
Arthur TS

You may need to update the DVD Firmware. Since Mini-DVD's are somewhat
new and more rare than normal DVD's, some drives do not have the
information in the firmware to read these. What DVD Burner drive do you
have?

Also, you can try this KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

----
Nathan McNulty

Arthur wrote:
> I have recently taken up a camcorder(Sony) with mini DVDs. I have installed
> a DVD burner and have a DVD ROM, but neither see the mini DVDs. They both
> work with standard DVDs and CDs. The mini DVDs work OK on other machines.
> Logic says it is nothing to do with the drives. Any offers?

Arthur

The DVD ROM is a Samsung SD606. I half expected a problem with this one, but
my burner is a brand new TEK DVDRW880N and I have downloaded the latest
firmware update. I was greeted by surprise in PC World (Yes, some of us shop
there occasionally for convenience!) that it was not working. The mini DVD
worked Ok in their demo machine and it registered (although would not run) in
my office machine (we do not have media software).

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You may need to update the DVD Firmware. Since Mini-DVD's are somewhat
> new and more rare than normal DVD's, some drives do not have the
> information in the firmware to read these. What DVD Burner drive do you
> have?
>
> Also, you can try this KB Article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Arthur wrote:
> > I have recently taken up a camcorder(Sony) with mini DVDs. I have installed
> > a DVD burner and have a DVD ROM, but neither see the mini DVDs. They both
> > work with standard DVDs and CDs. The mini DVDs work OK on other machines.
> > Logic says it is nothing to do with the drives. Any offers?

That burner is actually a rebadged NEC ND2500A which has excellent
support for DVD's. Have you had difficulties reading any other types of
discs? Normally, I would just try a clean install of Windows, but I
don't know if that is something you would want to do. You could try
repairing Windows, but I doubt that would fix the problem. I am not
familiar with mini-DVD's, so I can't really offer too much assistance in
that area. Hopefully someone who uses them can comment :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Arthur wrote:
> The DVD ROM is a Samsung SD606. I half expected a problem with this one, but
> my burner is a brand new TEK DVDRW880N and I have downloaded the latest
> firmware update. I was greeted by surprise in PC World (Yes, some of us shop
> there occasionally for convenience!) that it was not working. The mini DVD
> worked Ok in their demo machine and it registered (although would not run) in
> my office machine (we do not have media software).
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>You may need to update the DVD Firmware. Since Mini-DVD's are somewhat
>>new and more rare than normal DVD's, some drives do not have the
>>information in the firmware to read these. What DVD Burner drive do you
>>have?
>>
>>Also, you can try this KB Article:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Arthur wrote:
>>
>>>I have recently taken up a camcorder(Sony) with mini DVDs. I have installed
>>>a DVD burner and have a DVD ROM, but neither see the mini DVDs. They both
>>>work with standard DVDs and CDs. The mini DVDs work OK on other machines.
>>>Logic says it is nothing to do with the drives. Any offers?

Arthur

Nathan,
Many thanks for your responses. The first stage was getting the TEK device
checked out on another machine, which PC World did for me. They also
suggested that there might be a clash as I had two devices on the same IDE
port: the Samsung DVD ROM and the TEK burner. The Samsung on its own would
not read the mini-DVD - it kept throwing up errors that were reported to
microsoft - and an update of the driver did not help. I then put the TEK
device on the port on its own and BINGO! It works. So I over the first
hurdle to becoming the world's next Cubby Broccolli. Cheers.