NVRAM trouble

Hi,

here's my rig:
MB: P4P800 latest BIOS
CPU: P4@2.8 HT
RAM: G.A.I.L 2x512MB, dual channel @ 400 MHz
3 HDDs
SkyStar 2 DVB card, Hauppauge TV card, Adaptec SCSI card

everything works perfect except one annoying problem that I'm afraid it'll
develop into something more serious
when I reset or power on my computer it shows BIOS info, then says "400MHz, dual
channel, linear" and then "Checking NVRAM ..."
on this "checking" it stays for about 30sec-1min it NEVER hangs and everything
after that goes smoothly. I tried different RAM and plugging modules into
different slots. checked all BIOS options and nothing - still get 1min wait on
"NVRAM check"

any and all ideas will bi highly appreciated
thanks, Gordan

Gordan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here's my rig:
> MB: P4P800 latest BIOS
> CPU: P4@2.8 HT
> RAM: G.A.I.L 2x512MB, dual channel @ 400 MHz
> 3 HDDs
> SkyStar 2 DVB card, Hauppauge TV card, Adaptec SCSI card
>
> everything works perfect except one annoying problem that I'm afraid it'll
> develop into something more serious
> when I reset or power on my computer it shows BIOS info, then says "400MHz, dual
> channel, linear" and then "Checking NVRAM ..."
> on this "checking" it stays for about 30sec-1min it NEVER hangs and everything
> after that goes smoothly. I tried different RAM and plugging modules into
> different slots. checked all BIOS options and nothing - still get 1min wait on
> "NVRAM check"

This routine is pretty normal. There should be a "quickboot"
option that bypasses POST, if enabled. Should shorten the
startup time.

A tada Ghostrider rece:
> This routine is pretty normal. There should be a "quickboot"
> option that bypasses POST, if enabled. Should shorten the
> startup time.

quickboot is enabled. the only difference enabled/disabled is that it "counts"
(displays the progress of counting) RAM when quickboot is disabled.
I just clocked the hang time and its 49 sec - I don't think thats normal :-(

gordan

"Gordan" <gordanMAKNI@torkul.hr> wrote in message
> A tada Ghostrider rece:
> > This routine is pretty normal. There should be a "quickboot"
> > option that bypasses POST, if enabled. Should shorten the
> > startup time.
>
> quickboot is enabled. the only difference enabled/disabled is that it
"counts"
> (displays the progress of counting) RAM when quickboot is disabled.
> I just clocked the hang time and its 49 sec - I don't think thats normal
:-(

> gordan

No, it is not normal for the ram test to take more than a few seconds. When
you disable quick boot, does it actually take 49 seconds for the ram to be
counted off or does the delay occur afterwards. I'm thinking that the next
step in the boot procedure is really the culprit. Perhaps enumerating your
PCI cards.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:26:22 +0200, "Gordan" <gordanMAKNI@torkul.hr> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>here's my rig:
>MB: P4P800 latest BIOS
>CPU: P4@2.8 HT
>RAM: G.A.I.L 2x512MB, dual channel @ 400 MHz
>3 HDDs
>SkyStar 2 DVB card, Hauppauge TV card, Adaptec SCSI card
>
>everything works perfect except one annoying problem that I'm afraid it'll
>develop into something more serious
>when I reset or power on my computer it shows BIOS info, then says "400MHz, dual
>channel, linear" and then "Checking NVRAM ..."
>on this "checking" it stays for about 30sec-1min it NEVER hangs and everything
>after that goes smoothly. I tried different RAM and plugging modules into
>different slots. checked all BIOS options and nothing - still get 1min wait on
>"NVRAM check"
>
>any and all ideas will bi highly appreciated
>thanks, Gordan

Ah, it's probably already done the NVRAM check and is on to something else.
I'd suspect device enumeration.

Do you have anything interesting on the IDE channels like an ancient CDROM?
Do you have IDE channels that are enabled but have no devices connected?

Hello!

I haved the samed problem with my P4C800 Deluxe. It shows checking
nvram.... for about 3 minutes before windows start. I tried most things
and in the end i plug my usb things out and tried to restart and i
notice that my USB Webcam was the problem. So now the computer start
quick after i removed my Webcam.

Hope you solve the problem.

--
Pirog