Can't view workgroup computers

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 28, 2005 9:55:03 AM

I have (partially) set up a wireless network. A NETGEAR wireless router
(connects to internet and acts as wireless access point) a DELL desktop and a
DELL laptop. I've enabled file sharing on both PCs adn set them up with the
same workgroup name.

If I access the workgroup from the laptop, it shows icons for both itself
and the desktop but when I click on the desktop icon I get, the desktop is
not accessible, I don't have permission and path not found.

On the desktop when I click on 'view workgroup computers' I get
'workgroupname is not accessible, you might not have permission.......a list
of servers for this workgroup is not available'.

I have run network diagnostics from the help screen, the laptop is fine, the
desktop fails on the network adapter. It can ping the router, it can ping
the laptop, but it can't ping itself. Equally the laptop can ping the router
and itself but not the desktop.
January 28, 2005 7:32:04 PM

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have (partially) set up a wireless network. A NETGEAR wireless router
> (connects to internet and acts as wireless access point) a DELL desktop
and a
> DELL laptop. I've enabled file sharing on both PCs adn set them up with
the
> same workgroup name.
>
> If I access the workgroup from the laptop, it shows icons for both itself
> and the desktop but when I click on the desktop icon I get, the desktop is
> not accessible, I don't have permission and path not found.
>
> On the desktop when I click on 'view workgroup computers' I get
> 'workgroupname is not accessible, you might not have permission.......a
list
> of servers for this workgroup is not available'.
>
> I have run network diagnostics from the help screen, the laptop is fine,
the
> desktop fails on the network adapter. It can ping the router, it can ping
> the laptop, but it can't ping itself. Equally the laptop can ping the
router
> and itself but not the desktop.
January 28, 2005 10:21:02 PM

I have the exact same problem but I did not find the link helpful. Any other
suggestions.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have (partially) set up a wireless network. A NETGEAR wireless router
> > (connects to internet and acts as wireless access point) a DELL desktop
> and a
> > DELL laptop. I've enabled file sharing on both PCs adn set them up with
> the
> > same workgroup name.
> >
> > If I access the workgroup from the laptop, it shows icons for both itself
> > and the desktop but when I click on the desktop icon I get, the desktop is
> > not accessible, I don't have permission and path not found.
> >
> > On the desktop when I click on 'view workgroup computers' I get
> > 'workgroupname is not accessible, you might not have permission.......a
> list
> > of servers for this workgroup is not available'.
> >
> > I have run network diagnostics from the help screen, the laptop is fine,
> the
> > desktop fails on the network adapter. It can ping the router, it can ping
> > the laptop, but it can't ping itself. Equally the laptop can ping the
> router
> > and itself but not the desktop.

Related resources
January 29, 2005 5:29:01 AM

Thanks,

I had already disabled the norton firewall on both machines (or so I
thought) before I posted the problem. (Desktop running NIS 2002, laptop
running NIS 2004), but 2002 must be where the problem lies. I enabled the
NIS on the desktop, excluded the IP range of the network 192.168.0.1-3, still
a problem. Disabled it again and all works great.

"John" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem but I did not find the link helpful. Any other
> suggestions.
>

> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have (partially) set up a wireless network. A NETGEAR wireless router
> > > (connects to internet and acts as wireless access point) a DELL desktop
> > and a
> > > DELL laptop. I've enabled file sharing on both PCs adn set them up with
> > the
> > > same workgroup name.
> > >
> > > If I access the workgroup from the laptop, it shows icons for both itself
> > > and the desktop but when I click on the desktop icon I get, the desktop is
> > > not accessible, I don't have permission and path not found.
> > >
> > > On the desktop when I click on 'view workgroup computers' I get
> > > 'workgroupname is not accessible, you might not have permission.......a
> > list
> > > of servers for this workgroup is not available'.
> > >
> > > I have run network diagnostics from the help screen, the laptop is fine,
> > the
> > > desktop fails on the network adapter. It can ping the router, it can ping
> > > the laptop, but it can't ping itself. Equally the laptop can ping the
> > router
> > > and itself but not the desktop.

January 29, 2005 12:49:01 PM

Tried the same thing and it is now working great. Thanks for your help.

"Alison" wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I had already disabled the norton firewall on both machines (or so I
> thought) before I posted the problem. (Desktop running NIS 2002, laptop
> running NIS 2004), but 2002 must be where the problem lies. I enabled the
> NIS on the desktop, excluded the IP range of the network 192.168.0.1-3, still
> a problem. Disabled it again and all works great.
>
> "John" wrote:
>
> > I have the exact same problem but I did not find the link helpful. Any other
> > suggestions.
> >

> > "Jack" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> > >

> > > "Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > and a
> > > the

> > > list

> > > the
> > > router

January 29, 2005 10:28:24 PM

Hi

A quote from the ""Unhelpful"" Link second paragraph:

Depending on how they set few software Firewalls, Live Virus Scanner etc.,
would keep working in the background even if you switch them Off.

Disable means that if possible do not let them load at Startup, take them
out of the picture until the Network's Sharing problems are resolved.

End of Quote.

Happens quite often that people dismiss the help given to them and at the
end (if they bother to get back with feedback) you find out that the
solution or part of it was included in the ""dismissed"" help.

I wonder why???

Jack (MVP-Networking).

!