A7V333 won't boot using CPU DIP switch settings

My A7V333 has been running in jumper free mode for a while, but I
decided that the benefits of being able to fiddle with BIOS settings
were less than the ACPI benefits of Mode 3 power saving (I particuarly
want the system to suspend to RAM).

Because ACPI doesn't work properly unless the board uses jumper mode and
DIP switches, that means changing the JEN jumper back to jumper mode,
and setting the DIP switches to the correct 2200+ of my CPU. However,
do that, and the system won't pass POST. No screen output, no beep.
Power comes on, hard disks spin, CPU fan starts and then switches off.
Change the setting back to jumper free and the system runs fine,
although it still won't suspend to RAM.

Any suggestions as to cause or workaround? Could there be other jumper
settings that need to be made?

thanks

Led

Paul

Splendid

In article <QPrbe.31494$TZ6.1376@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Ledswinger
<myname@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> My A7V333 has been running in jumper free mode for a while, but I
> decided that the benefits of being able to fiddle with BIOS settings
> were less than the ACPI benefits of Mode 3 power saving (I particuarly
> want the system to suspend to RAM).
>
> Because ACPI doesn't work properly unless the board uses jumper mode and
> DIP switches, that means changing the JEN jumper back to jumper mode,
> and setting the DIP switches to the correct 2200+ of my CPU. However,
> do that, and the system won't pass POST. No screen output, no beep.
> Power comes on, hard disks spin, CPU fan starts and then switches off.
> Change the setting back to jumper free and the system runs fine,
> although it still won't suspend to RAM.
>
> Any suggestions as to cause or workaround? Could there be other jumper
> settings that need to be made?
>
> thanks
>
> Led

Well, be careful when using the dip switches. What counts
is not matching the visual positions shown in the manual,
but the logical intent. Make sure the switches are set to
ON or OFF, as appropriate. If the dip switch is inserted
upside down, then you would need to invert the switch positions.

If it is a problem like that, you might assume you've set the
switches to 100Mhz, when in fact the switches read 220MHz.
A high overclock could be causing an instant overheat and
shutdown via the Asus CPU overheat safety feature.

HTH,
Paul