giuseppe

I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer, you can
always see that is specified a processor and ram.
For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb of ram
(4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does it mean?
I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do whit
these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?

thanks in advance :)

ps: excuse my english but I'm italian and I don't speak english very well...

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Your english is very good! Much better than my Italian :eek:)

The cpu speed isn't very important. The printer manufacturers usually
provide enough cpu speed to keep up with the speed of the print engine.

The memory size can be important. The memory is used to store font data and
to store the pages to be printed. A page of graphics can be several
megabytes, so 4MB of memory is very small. 64 MB should be sufficient for
most anything, although large, complex graphics jobs might print a little
faster with more memory. A text printing job with many different fonts
might also benifit from more memory.

Don

"Giuseppe" <jos3ph81@virgilio.it> wrote in message
> I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer, you can
> always see that is specified a processor and ram.
> For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb of
ram
> (4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does it mean?
> I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do whit
> these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?
>
> thanks in advance :)
>

> ps: excuse my english but I'm italian and I don't speak english very
well...

"Giuseppe" <jos3ph81@virgilio.it> wrote in message
> I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer, you can
> always see that is specified a processor and ram.
> For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb of
ram
> (4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does it mean?
> I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do whit
> these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?

Some applications send fonts to the printer. More memory means more room for
fonts and faster printing.

Don typed:

> Your english is very good! Much better than my Italian :eek:)
>
> The cpu speed isn't very important. The printer manufacturers usually
> provide enough cpu speed to keep up with the speed of the print
> engine.
>
> The memory size can be important. The memory is used to store font
> data and to store the pages to be printed. A page of graphics can
> be several megabytes, so 4MB of memory is very small. 64 MB should
> be sufficient for most anything, although large, complex graphics
> jobs might print a little faster with more memory. A text printing
> job with many different fonts might also benifit from more memory.
>
> Don
>

> "Giuseppe" <jos3ph81@virgilio.it> wrote in message
>> I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer,
>> you can always see that is specified a processor and ram.
>> For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb
>> of ram (4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does
>> it mean?
>> I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do
>> whit these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?
>>
>> thanks in advance :)
>>

>> ps: excuse my english but I'm italian and I don't speak english very
>> well...

Not necesarilly. If printer is GDI type(as most newer models are), then it
means that it uses CPU from PC and as such it needs fast CPU in order to
print large prints, like graphics. Old lasers were constructed so that they
loaded entire page into internal memory before actual print (and as such
they needed BIG memory, like 32 or 64 M to do that!!!). Newer models uses PC
memory and CPU to do that. As a result , they don't need do big internal
memory. In short, GDI printers ar stupid ones, as they doesn't contain any
decent process unit, but they entirely rely on your PC. So, if you have too
slow PC, your print may not be printed succesfully. IN these printers
internal memory is used just like buffer, similar as in CDRW drives. They
doesn't actually load entire image into it. Note that data transfer is far
too slow to transfer image as fast as laser printer can print one page.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Oh. I assumed that the "CPU speed" referred to the CPU in the printer. If
it referred to the CPU/memory requirements for the computer to which it's
connected, then you're right. But a fair amount of memory in the printer
will still speed up the operation, particularly when accessing the printer
over the network. BTW, not all new laser printers are GDI, not even most of
them. Only the low-cost lines are, I believe. I don't know of any high-end
or network printers that are GDI.

Don

In article <uTfsc.234052$hc5.10025815@news3.tin.it>, Giuseppe wrote:
> I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer, you can
> always see that is specified a processor and ram.
> For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb of ram
> (4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does it mean?
> I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do whit
> these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?
>
> thanks in advance :)

These printers can have higher resolution which simply needs more memory
(by square), use postscript or are simply office's printers with duplex
(twice memory needed) and many documents in memory.

simply 4mb is fine for printer with 600dpi without duplex and postscript.

Jan

giuseppe

thank you for the compliment and for the explanation :)

"Don" <nospam@please.gov> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Your english is very good! Much better than my Italian :eek:)
>
> The cpu speed isn't very important. The printer manufacturers usually
> provide enough cpu speed to keep up with the speed of the print engine.
>
> The memory size can be important. The memory is used to store font data
and
> to store the pages to be printed. A page of graphics can be several
> megabytes, so 4MB of memory is very small. 64 MB should be sufficient for
> most anything, although large, complex graphics jobs might print a little
> faster with more memory. A text printing job with many different fonts
> might also benifit from more memory.
>
> Don
>

> "Giuseppe" <jos3ph81@virgilio.it> wrote in message
> > I noticed that when you look at the datasheet of a laser printer, you
can
> > always see that is specified a processor and ram.
> > For example, the printer that I want to buy, has a 66mhz cpu and 4mb of
> ram
> > (4mb is the max ammount of ram for this printer), what does it mean?
> > I see that there're some laser printer with 64mb ram, what can i do whit
> > these 64mb printer that i can't do whit a 4mb printer?
> >
> > thanks in advance :)
> >

> > ps: excuse my english but I'm italian and I don't speak english very
> well...

Don typed:

> Oh. I assumed that the "CPU speed" referred to the CPU in the
> printer. If it referred to the CPU/memory requirements for the
> computer to which it's connected, then you're right. But a fair
> amount of memory in the printer will still speed up the operation,
> particularly when accessing the printer over the network. BTW, not
> all new laser printers are GDI, not even most of them. Only the
> low-cost lines are, I believe. I don't know of any high-end or
> network printers that are GDI.
>
> Don

I think you're right about that. Only low-cost ones are (of course) stupid
ones...