A8N-SLI Deluxe: Please help with memory issue.

Hi
Recently upgraded to A8N-SLI Deluxe and updated bios to 1007 (beta)
I have 4x512MB PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3 (Crucial)
The machine posts and runs fine but only recognises 1.5gb memory.
If I remove 1 stick it posts 1gb.
All sticks have been checked and work fine.
Initially, when I got the board it would only post when 1 stick was
installed until I updated the bios.
Any ideas to why this is happening.
Im gonna try the new 1007 final, but until then any help would be
great.
Thanx

System:
A8n-SLI Deluxe
4x Crucial 512 PC3200 DDR 400 Unbuffered CL3
1x Gigabyte GF6600GT
1x 160gb Samsung SP1614N UDMA133
Tagen TG480-U01 PSU
2 answers Last reply
More about deluxe memory issue

    In article <b2d17191el9l4a59hav2hjip06u1o45qql@4ax.com>, Chris Hill
    <chris@chill3d.com> wrote:

    > Hi
    > Recently upgraded to A8N-SLI Deluxe and updated bios to 1007 (beta)
    > I have 4x512MB PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3 (Crucial)
    > The machine posts and runs fine but only recognises 1.5gb memory.
    > If I remove 1 stick it posts 1gb.
    > All sticks have been checked and work fine.
    > Initially, when I got the board it would only post when 1 stick was
    > installed until I updated the bios.
    > Any ideas to why this is happening.
    > Im gonna try the new 1007 final, but until then any help would be
    > great.
    > Thanx
    >
    > System:
    > A8n-SLI Deluxe
    > 4x Crucial 512 PC3200 DDR 400 Unbuffered CL3
    > 1x Gigabyte GF6600GT
    > 1x 160gb Samsung SP1614N UDMA133
    > Tagen TG480-U01 PSU

    A dual channel board of that type can run with two sticks
    or four sticks. With three sticks, the motherboard should
    be ignoring one of the sticks, and the discovered 1GB total
    memory seems to point to that happening.

    The real question is, why is the memory not being recognized
    properly with four sticks ?

    At one time, before the invention of the SPD EEPROM chip on
    each DIMM, memory was discovered by brute force. During the
    POST, the processor would do test writes and then attempt
    to read back the data, to figure out how big the memory is.

    With SPD, that should not be necessary.

    Why not try a copy of www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php (free) and try the
    memory tab ? See what is reported for the four DIMM slots.
    This picture shows what the memory tab looks like:

    http://www.ocfaq.com/articlefiles/35/cpuz1.jpg

    Lavalys.com Everest home edition (free) also offers basic
    info on memory:

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/screenshots/he_shots/images/everest_he_shot_02_eng.gif

    HTH,
    Paul

    I think it may have something to do with the memory being single sided, or
    double sided. I can't remember which.

    "Chris Hill" <chris@chill3d.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Recently upgraded to A8N-SLI Deluxe and updated bios to 1007 (beta)
    > I have 4x512MB PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3 (Crucial)
    > The machine posts and runs fine but only recognises 1.5gb memory.
    > If I remove 1 stick it posts 1gb.
    > All sticks have been checked and work fine.
    > Initially, when I got the board it would only post when 1 stick was
    > installed until I updated the bios.
    > Any ideas to why this is happening.
    > Im gonna try the new 1007 final, but until then any help would be
    > great.
    > Thanx
    >
    > System:
    > A8n-SLI Deluxe
    > 4x Crucial 512 PC3200 DDR 400 Unbuffered CL3
    > 1x Gigabyte GF6600GT
    > 1x 160gb Samsung SP1614N UDMA133
    > Tagen TG480-U01 PSU

Asus SLI Memory Motherboards