expand partition on HD

Loser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004

the computer I purchased came with a single 120gb hard
drive that is partitioned into two drive: c:=20gb and
d:=100gb. The C: drive is almost full. Can I expand the
C: drive to 30gb or 40gb without reformating?

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Loser" wrote:

| the computer I purchased came with a single 120gb hard
| drive that is partitioned into two drive: c:=20gb and
| d:=100gb. The C: drive is almost full. Can I expand the
| C: drive to 30gb or 40gb without reformating?

Unless you have Windows XP Pro on a Desktop PC with Dynamic Disks :)

That is probably out of the scope of this question though.

----
Nathan McNulty

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

You'll need a third party program such as Partition Magic in order to resize
partitions.

"Loser" <gregloser@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> the computer I purchased came with a single 120gb hard
> drive that is partitioned into two drive: c:=20gb and
> d:=100gb. The C: drive is almost full. Can I expand the
> C: drive to 30gb or 40gb without reformating?

Perhaps you can help me Cary? I have added an external hard drive. My
desktop recognizes the drive. I have so far made only one partition call it
logical drive Q: However I cannot write to it or read it. I have checked on
permission on it but am more confused than ever. I can do both if in my
Administrators desktop but I don't want to have to do that. The message I
get is: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect in
this computer. Please contact you system administrator."

I have only one computer and as far as I can tell my regular desktop has
administrator priveledges.

What am I missing? What can I do? You are always very helpful, can you help
me?

Thanks

--
Regards,
Werner

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Loser" wrote:
>
> | the computer I purchased came with a single 120gb hard
> | drive that is partitioned into two drive: c:=20gb and
> | d:=100gb. The C: drive is almost full. Can I expand the
> | C: drive to 30gb or 40gb without reformating?

You sure can, just purchase one of the partitioning software pkgs out there
and away you go. Partition Magic is just one of them.

"Loser" <gregloser@yahoo.com> wrote in message
the computer I purchased came with a single 120gb hard
drive that is partitioned into two drive: c:=20gb and
d:=100gb. The C: drive is almost full. Can I expand the
C: drive to 30gb or 40gb without reformating?

dl

Probably because you blindly used the default install when you installed any
apps. The default install is allways to the C drive.