p5ad2e Raid setup

I have 2 maxtor plus 9 sata 200gb. drives connected to sata 1 & 2. I'm
trying to set up raid 0+1 using intel matrix, not having much luck
I have the bios setup & installed the raid drivers but I can only have
raid 1 , when I use the app. accelerator It tells me there is not
enough room to create another raid volume to create raid 0. Do I have
the hdds set up correctly, sata 1&2 not 1&3 master/slave?
9 answers Last reply
More about p5ad2e raid setup

    I've tried to set the drive(s) to 80gb as per setup readme says, I'm
    still not sure if I have them installed right. I have both drives setup
    on sata 1& 2 on the board , not 1 & 3 which would be master/slave. I'm
    currently running the drives as raid 0 with windows showing 389gb
    avalable. Seems to run fine but I was after a 0+1 setup.

    In article <1114695240.125217.119830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I have 2 maxtor plus 9 sata 200gb. drives connected to sata 1 & 2. I'm
    > trying to set up raid 0+1 using intel matrix, not having much luck
    > I have the bios setup & installed the raid drivers but I can only have
    > raid 1 , when I use the app. accelerator It tells me there is not
    > enough room to create another raid volume to create raid 0. Do I have
    > the hdds set up correctly, sata 1&2 not 1&3 master/slave?

    Page 41, step 8:
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/manual45_oem.pdf

    There is a "Capacity" field in one of the RAID BIOS setup
    screens. The Capacity field can be editted by the user.
    If you are referring to using two disks, and making one
    portion of the two disks a RAID 0 array, and the remainder
    of the two disks into a RAID 1 array, I would think setting
    the capacity during the setup of the first portion, would
    leave room for the setup of the second portion.

    HTH,
    Paul

    In article <1114707204.754530.17680@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "wally"
    <wallynospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I've tried to set the drive(s) to 80gb as per setup readme says, I'm
    > still not sure if I have them installed right. I have both drives setup
    > on sata 1& 2 on the board , not 1 & 3 which would be master/slave. I'm
    > currently running the drives as raid 0 with windows showing 389gb
    > avalable. Seems to run fine but I was after a 0+1 setup.

    I hope we don't have a terminology problem here.

    RAID 0 is striped, and for two matched drives, gives twice the capacity.
    RAID 1 is mirrored, and the same data is duplicated on both drives.

    Matrix RAID is Intel's feature, where two disks can support RAID 0 for
    one portion of the two disks, and RAID 1 for the other portion of
    the two disks. If the bottom portion has errors, it is fried,
    while if the top portion has errors, the mirrored data means
    there is recovery via the redundant data. The OS could go in
    the mirror array portion, while scratch data can go into
    the (unreliable) striped array portion on the bottom (like a
    Photoshop scratch area).

    drive 0 drive 1 Intel Matrix RAID
    ------ ------
    |-----| |-----| Array capacity = 50GB
    |------------------|
    | 30GB 30GB | <--- Bottom half striped together
    |------------------| for performance. 30+30=60GB
    when striped.

    RAID 0+1 refers to the use of four disks. There are two pairs
    of striped disks (RAID 0). The two arrays mirror one another (RAID 1).
    If a single drive dies, one two disk array is toast, but the other
    two disk array takes over. That is my understanding of 0+1.

    drive 0 drive 1 drive 2 drive 3
    ------------------ ------------------
    | striped array | | striped array | RAID 0+1
    | (RAID 0) | | (RAID 0) | configuration
    | | | |
    |------------------| |------------------|
    \ /
    \__ arrays mirror __/
    one another
    (RAID 1)

    To use the Intel Matrix RAID feature with two disks, you will
    need to define the capacity of the lower and the upper halves
    of the disks. Say you have two 80GB disks. If we define the
    stripe first, we could use 2*30GB for the stripe. This would
    leave 50GB in the upper section of each disk, which when mirrored
    gives a 50GB top array. We have a 60GB unreliable array and a
    50GB reliable array. The numbers don't add up to 160GB, because
    the mirror "wastes" capacity. (What this means, is no matter
    whether the stripe or the mirror is defined first, the
    "Capacity" field must be editted to a number smaller than
    the one shown in the interface.)

    It should not matter which SATA port(s) you use to construct
    the RAID array. When you use the RAID BIOS in fact, the reserved
    sector on each disk, keeps track of which disk is paired with
    which other disk. You can actually power down, and change the
    port the disk is plugged into, if you want. (You should stick
    paper labels on the drives, with critical info recorded on
    the drives, such as stripe size, in case the arrays ever need
    to be deleted and rebuilt. If you were building a true four
    disk 0+1, labels can be very important.)

    Does any of that help ?

    HTH,
    Paul

    thanks paul,
    I understand the 0-1 concept stripe mirror but following instructions
    it says to create a raid
    1 mirror volume 1/2 the size of 1disk at boot up then run windows setup
    install all drivers then install intel application accelerator
    software. After this you are to choose create a raid volume from
    existing harddrive then create a raid 0/stripe volume. Problem is
    everytime I do this it tells me non raid disk not found.. I'm beginning
    to think you need 4 drives to do 1+0. I'm on my 7th go round trying
    this with deleting raid volumes/ re windows setup, cable configs. This
    is my first sata raid experience been building rigs since my first 286
    ,even built a cyrex 586 once :-) , can't seem to get a handle on this
    0+1 thing with 2 drives

    In article <1114733289.453032.139990@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > thanks paul,
    > I understand the 0-1 concept stripe mirror but following instructions
    > it says to create a raid
    > 1 mirror volume 1/2 the size of 1disk at boot up then run windows setup
    > install all drivers then install intel application accelerator
    > software. After this you are to choose create a raid volume from
    > existing harddrive then create a raid 0/stripe volume. Problem is
    > everytime I do this it tells me non raid disk not found.. I'm beginning
    > to think you need 4 drives to do 1+0. I'm on my 7th go round trying
    > this with deleting raid volumes/ re windows setup, cable configs. This
    > is my first sata raid experience been building rigs since my first 286
    > ,even built a cyrex 586 once :-) , can't seem to get a handle on this
    > 0+1 thing with 2 drives

    Where are you getting these instructions from ? Are they in the
    user manual or are you using a manual you found on the motherboard
    CD, in the manuals/ folder ?

    One possibility, is you are using the wrong version of IAAR. The
    original Intel RAID software didn't do the Matrix configuration,
    and either did RAID0 or it did RAID1. Since you have the latest
    and greatest hardware, the Windows software should support the
    Matrix option.

    To get the latest driver, go to downloadfinder.intel.com ,
    select "chipset" from the side bar, "chipset software" from
    the menu, then "Intel Matrix Storage" from the next menu.
    After selecting your OS (WinXP), you should end up here:

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1809&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

    The floppy maker stuff is at the bottom of the page, if you
    want to make a floppy for the OS drivers, to be installed
    with F6 at Windows install time. The topmost download is
    for the full package to install once Windows is installed.

    In order for this thing to work, the success ingredients will
    be:

    1) When you set up the first RAID volume, make sure the capacity
    you select is small enough, so there is room for the second
    RAID volume later.
    2) Convince the software to accept adding the second volume,
    to the existing two disks.

    I suppose the reason the instructions are having you create
    one volume in the BIOS, and the second volume at runtime, is
    to make sure you are using the right drivers for them ?
    Otherwise, if it was me, I would be trying to make both
    volumes using the RAID BIOS interface. After all, both levels
    of the system have to understand how the Matrix RAID data is
    laid out on the disks, in order to do anything.

    One of the critical aspects of using RAID, is understanding
    what to do if something goes wrong. Many people use the
    RAID for a while, and then one day, they get a "degraded"
    or "failed" status on their RAID and they don't know what
    to do. When you have live data on a disk, is not the time
    to be experimenting. No matter what you decide to do, make
    sure you have a backup strategy, as even a RAID mirror
    needs to be backed up. A mirror is not a replacement for
    a backup strategy.

    The maintenance aspect is one reason I refuse to use RAID
    on my computers here. I like my hardware to be simple to
    understand and maintain, and running non-RAID is what does
    that for me. If a single disk fails for me, I replace the
    bad disk, restore from backup, and carry on. With the RAID,
    I can never be sure I am supposed to "delete array" or whatever,
    after a failure occurs.

    Paul

    The instructions were from the manual/cd, I've been to intel and
    already downloaded the drivers, did that after the first attempt. I'm
    just going to go standard and be done with it. If I really wan't to to
    go 0+1 in future I'll just get 2 more disks..
    Thanks for your help..

    If my memory serves me correctly, you will need a minimum of 4 drives for
    Raid 0+1.

    "wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 maxtor plus 9 sata 200gb. drives connected to sata 1 & 2. I'm
    > trying to set up raid 0+1 using intel matrix, not having much luck
    > I have the bios setup & installed the raid drivers but I can only have
    > raid 1 , when I use the app. accelerator It tells me there is not
    > enough room to create another raid volume to create raid 0. Do I have
    > the hdds set up correctly, sata 1&2 not 1&3 master/slave?

    IT WORKS ! I finally figured it out with 2 hhds. The manual on the cd
    gave conflicting instructions. I took 2 200 gb maxtor drives-sata and
    used intel raid rom to set up a raid volume of 90 gbs. (mirrored) then
    ran xp setup installed intel drivers -F6 partitioned the drive for 90
    gbs then formatted it, let windows finish setup and then used intel
    app. accelerator software to create a second volume as striped with the
    remaining space on the drive(S). I kept telling the software to create
    the volume from existing hard disk as per instructions only to get
    message saying non raid disk not found. Below that is a command to just
    create raid volume and what do ya know, it worked. After this I open up
    xp disk managment then set the volume as a dynamic disk then format &
    thats it.. when I reboot the bios shows 2 raid volumes 1 mirror & 1
    striped.. They seem to work fine.. =8^) . Also found 1 other
    misinformation in the user manual about updating bios and can cause a
    real headache. Rename the the file P5AD2XE.rom not P5AD2E.as the manual
    says or you will suffer bad juju.

    "wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> writes:
    > I've tried to set the drive(s) to 80gb as per setup readme says, I'm
    > still not sure if I have them installed right. I have both drives setup
    > on sata 1& 2 on the board , not 1 & 3 which would be master/slave. I'm
    > currently running the drives as raid 0 with windows showing 389gb
    > avalable. Seems to run fine but I was after a 0+1 setup.

    RAID 0+1 should be four drives: two drives in a raid 0 configuration
    and two drives to mirror your raid 0 array. I don't know if the
    p5ad2e supports this configuration, but i am inclined to purchase this
    board and am printing the manual as i type this. If it doesn't, I'll
    let you know.

    Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

Asus NAS / RAID SATA Motherboards