I have recently switched to ADSL and installed a LAN card for this purpose.
However when I connect a device to the Ethernet cable Windows XP immediately
scrams and the PC reboots - just as if I'd pressed the reset button. There
is no bluescreen or error message, the PC just reboots. I have tried another
Ethernet card and also installed drivers to enable the use of an ethernet
connection to the modem over USB. In all cases the result is the same - the
machine reboots. The modem contains an integrated 4 port switch and I have
also tried connecting a basic 5 port switch. In both cases, as soon as
Windows attempts the communicate with the device it quits. It doesn't matter
whether the device is connected and turned on before or after Win XP is
started.

However, the PC is set up as a dual boot system with Mandrake Linux
installed as well. If I boot Linux the ethernet works perfectly and I'm able
to connect to the modem and internet and so I conclude that there is nothing
wrong with my hardware. I'm also able to connect to the modem using a laptop
running Win XP.

So if anyone has some idea about what is going wrong and how it might be
fixed please let me know.

It sorta sounds like WindowsXP might have a virus (something that attempts
to download and install to Windows\System32 an executable and only affects
WindowsXP/2000 systems.) I'd try running Antivirus software and/or download
McAfee's Stinger virus remover http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ (you might
also turn off "system resore" while running the test.)