P4R800-VM wake-on-LAN

Hey folks,

I have the above motherboard and the manual isn't very informative for
what I hope to do. The onboard NIC obviously doesn't continue to receive
power when the system if off (lights for the NIC are off and can't resume
with a magic packet or ping). The onboard NIC does however permit WOL while
in suspend mode. I have an Abit motherboard that does continue to give power
to my PCI NIC even when the system is off. Before I go out and purchase a
low-profile NIC for my HTPC P4R800-VM system, does anyone know if this board
supports wake-up by PCI devices? The BIOS and the manual don't have anything
listed in this regard but I thought this sort of feature has been very
common the past couple of years. What I hope to do is remotely wake-up the
system when it is off, i.e. not just in suspend or S3 sleep state.

Thanks,

Dave
__________________________
Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

Paul

Splendid

In article <BVuce.1164106$8l.6126@pd7tw1no>, "David Shorthouse"
<davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I have the above motherboard and the manual isn't very informative for
> what I hope to do. The onboard NIC obviously doesn't continue to receive
> power when the system if off (lights for the NIC are off and can't resume
> with a magic packet or ping). The onboard NIC does however permit WOL while
> in suspend mode. I have an Abit motherboard that does continue to give power
> to my PCI NIC even when the system is off. Before I go out and purchase a
> low-profile NIC for my HTPC P4R800-VM system, does anyone know if this board
> supports wake-up by PCI devices? The BIOS and the manual don't have anything
> listed in this regard but I thought this sort of feature has been very
> common the past couple of years. What I hope to do is remotely wake-up the
> system when it is off, i.e. not just in suspend or S3 sleep state.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> __________________________
> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.

It is funny that your user manual only mentions WOL in the feature
section, and no where else. There is no mention of Wake By PCI Device,
which would make a person suspicious about whether PME (power
management event) is supported or not.

The manual does mention that the PCI slots are PCI 2.2 compatible.
The version 2.2 spec introduced the use of two reserved pins,
namely PME# and 3.3Vaux. The 3.3Vaux is the pin that would power
a LAN card while the computer is asleep. The PME# pin is the one
that the LAN card pulls to logic 0, when a magic packet is received
on the LAN interface. (The PME# pin replaces that funky three wire
WOL cable that used to plug into LAN cards.) But, the PCI 2.2 spec
mentions that PME# and 3.3Vaux are _optional_, when means a slimy
designer could claim PCI 2.2 compatibility, and yet miss out the
functions on those reserved pins. I have never heard of someone
doing that, but the spec allows someone to try something underhanded
like that.

Do you have any spare, normal profile LAN cards in your junk
box ? Perhaps you could leave the cover off the computer, long
enough to do a PCI 2.2 test on your computer, with whatever
PCI 2.2/2.3 compatible LAN card you happen to have.

Paul

>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I have the above motherboard and the manual isn't very informative
>> for
>> what I hope to do. The onboard NIC obviously doesn't continue to receive
>> power when the system if off (lights for the NIC are off and can't resume
>> with a magic packet or ping). The onboard NIC does however permit WOL
>> while
>> in suspend mode. I have an Abit motherboard that does continue to give
>> power
>> to my PCI NIC even when the system is off. Before I go out and purchase a
>> low-profile NIC for my HTPC P4R800-VM system, does anyone know if this
>> board
>> supports wake-up by PCI devices? The BIOS and the manual don't have
>> anything
>> listed in this regard but I thought this sort of feature has been very
>> common the past couple of years. What I hope to do is remotely wake-up
>> the
>> system when it is off, i.e. not just in suspend or S3 sleep state.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave
>> __________________________
>> Remove "_SPAM" to reply directly.
>
> It is funny that your user manual only mentions WOL in the feature
> section, and no where else. There is no mention of Wake By PCI Device,
> which would make a person suspicious about whether PME (power
> management event) is supported or not.
>
> The manual does mention that the PCI slots are PCI 2.2 compatible.
> The version 2.2 spec introduced the use of two reserved pins,
> namely PME# and 3.3Vaux. The 3.3Vaux is the pin that would power
> a LAN card while the computer is asleep. The PME# pin is the one
> that the LAN card pulls to logic 0, when a magic packet is received
> on the LAN interface. (The PME# pin replaces that funky three wire
> WOL cable that used to plug into LAN cards.) But, the PCI 2.2 spec
> mentions that PME# and 3.3Vaux are _optional_, when means a slimy
> designer could claim PCI 2.2 compatibility, and yet miss out the
> functions on those reserved pins. I have never heard of someone
> doing that, but the spec allows someone to try something underhanded
> like that.
>
> Do you have any spare, normal profile LAN cards in your junk
> box ? Perhaps you could leave the cover off the computer, long
> enough to do a PCI 2.2 test on your computer, with whatever
> PCI 2.2/2.3 compatible LAN card you happen to have.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the post. I will see if I can find something in my box that will
at least test this out. I can temporarily lift the Linksys LNE100TX card out
of my desktop and see if WOL will work on the P4R800-VM from power off.
Fingers crossed.....

You'd think that if ASUS implemented USB +5v SB jumpers, they'd also
implement WOL by PME#!

Dave

Paul

Splendid

In article <J6fde.1187619$Xk.706034@pd7tw3no>, "David Shorthouse"
<davidshorthouse@shaw_SPAM.ca> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the post. I will see if I can find something in my box that will
> at least test this out. I can temporarily lift the Linksys LNE100TX card out
> of my desktop and see if WOL will work on the P4R800-VM from power off.
> Fingers crossed.....
>
> You'd think that if ASUS implemented USB +5v SB jumpers, they'd also
> implement WOL by PME#!
>
> Dave

It could be that something didn't work out quite the way they'd
planned. I guess after you test with the LNE100TX, you'll
know just what the situation is, whether any PME# functions
work, or whether it is just the builtin LAN that is not
fully functional. I'm just surprised there is no BIOS function
to enable or disable "Wake on PCI device".

It is too bad that the chipset companies won't answer
questions about this stuff. But I suppose they cannot
give out information that would compromise the reputation
of the motherboard makers (or their own reputation for
that matter).

Paul